Segway Tours in Nassau - info

routonc

My mom will be on the Celebration at the end of January and is looking at the Segway tours. About how much are they? Are they any fun? She's traveling with about 5 or 6 other people and one of them uses a cane or walker to help her walk. If anyone has used a Segway, do you think this person would be able to ride one?

Thanks in advance.

Christina in GA

My mom will be on the Celebration at the end of January and is looking at the Segway tours. About how much are they? Are they any fun? She's traveling with about 5 or 6 other people and one of them uses a cane or walker to help her walk. If anyone has used a Segway, do you think this person would be able to ride one?

Thanks in advance.

Christina in GA

My son owns a pair of these but I have not ridden on them. He says it has aggrevated the arthritis in his knees. I know it takes a little training to ride them. When he first got them he had a nasty fall and got scraped up a bit. I would question whether or not that would be good for her.

Nassau was a busy town. Four of five ships in port, car traffic was heavy, sidewalks weren't that good. I don't think it's a good place for a first timer. Key West had a Segway tour that I saw. At least people slowed down for them!

We did this tour last January and had a lot of fun. We had previously ridden Segways at Epcot, but the ones used in Nassau are the "off-road" version, so we got to cover much rougher terrain. You start with a short training session and then the tour starts. Most of your time is spent at Ardastra Gardens and Fort Charlotte. Very little of your time is actually spend on sidewalks or roadways. It was a great tour and we're considering doing it again this year.

That said, I think it would be difficult for someone with mobility issues to learn to use the machine within the training time allocated for this tour. Its not exactly physically demanding, but the movement of the Segway relies entirely on shifting your weight to different parts of your body. If you need to stop quickly, you have to sort of throw yourself back and then stand up straight very fast. Lots of people panic and jump off the machine when learning to do this. I would think that would be difficult to do for someone who needed assistance walking. Just my two cents.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like those have taken this tour have had lots of fun. There are four of us interested in this tour, but am trying to see if this can be booked independantly rather than directly through the cruise ship (with 2 kids need to try to save $$$$ any way we can)

Thanks for any insights!

OKIBOUND:

I'm not sure if you'll be able to book this independently. They were offering it through RCI only when I was there last April. They were talking about expanding to add Carnival. Not sure which ship you're on.

One option, if your day is flexible, is to go to the Cricket Club where they are based (easy taxi ride) and see if they have any openings on the spot. If their trip isn't full, they might let you do it. Our group (the first of the morning) had all six slots full, but the group coming in after us only had two people.

We had a blast on the Segways! Very easy to learn.

PHXscuba

"You can't have everything -- besides, where would you put it all?":D

Archived