Does anyone take Airborne or anything like it before a cruise?

Hi,

I'm thinking of taking airborne for my cruise. I was going to buy the little packets that you add to your water. Does anyone think this helps and if so, how do you take them. I don't really know when to begin. Ever since I came down with really bad tonsilitis from a 3 hour flight I've gotten a bit paranoid!

melody

Hi, yes I really believe in airborne, I start it about 5-7 days prior to any trip. I just take it once per day. If you are flying turn off the air oulet above your head, it just blows re-cycled germs into your face. Drink lots of water, and try to get a few good nights of sleep prior to traveling. Have fun:)

I have taken them before flights. Not really too concerned about the cruise itself. If anything, it's the norovirus to worry about, and airborne doesn't help there.

Even if you do come down with a cold, it really cuts down on the sick time.

I usually take one dose the day before, and then again right before boarding the plane. If I hear alot of coughing or sneezing, I take it for a couple extra days.

Hope this helps.

I have taken them before flights. Not really too concerned about the cruise itself. If anything, it's the norovirus to worry about, and airborne doesn't help there.

Even if you do come down with a cold, it really cuts down on the sick time.

I usually take one dose the day before, and then again right before boarding the plane. If I hear alot of coughing or sneezing, I take it for a couple extra days.

Hope this helps.

Yes, I love it. My DH got a horrible cold on our last cruise and while I did get one it was so mild and over very quickly.

My son who travels frequently uses airborne and has been very healthy. I on the other hand contracted an ear infection & terrible cold during our Liberty sailing 12/1.--even had to see the ships doctor. I'm still recovering. I think I may have caught this virus on the airplane. I WILL take Airborne on my next trip

Airborne is basically a multivitamin combined with Alka-Seltzer. The marketers of the product are genius. They make people believe that by taking the product, they are less likely to get sick when traveling. There is really no substantial evidence that taking a multivitamin boosts your immune system (Source: Readers Digest Nov. 2007). I think the makers of Airborne are deceptive, because they say there are no substitutes for Airborne, yet the ingredients in Airborne are no different than in any other multivitamin. Airborne also costs a lot more than a multivitamin. If you believe in homeopathic or natural medicines, then I would just recommend that you take a multivitamin or just simply wash your hands! :)

Yes. We take Germ Defense, a Canadian version that is less than half the cost of Airborne. Oddly, the patch some folks wear behind the ear are way cheaper here, too, and available over the counter. We don't find we need anything for motion sickness but a germ defense is always a good idea.

Our family ALWAYS takes it before we fly. We always seem to come home sick from a trip, but this seems to be working for us the last couple of years.

By all means bring it along and take some the night before you leave! ;)

Also works well if you feel a cold coming on....

I started taking it about 4 days prior to flying to the cruise terminal. I always catch something on the plane and this time I didn't. It has some extra ingredients to boost your immune system along with Vitamin C and A. They recommend that you stop taking your regular vitamins when you take it. I will use it again.

we sail in 10 days and started taking it in early december due to the exposure with shopping and holiday gatherings. We will continue to take it during the cruise as well. But your best defense is handwashing. this is a rough time of year to stay healthy:rolleyes:

Safe and healthy journeys

Andrea

I recently asked a doctor who specializes in asthma about using Airborne. He said that taking a multi-vitamin would do the same thing. And this is a doctor who prescribes medicine extravagantly and in large doses. I tend to believe him.

I got a free sample of Target's version of Airborne. We just used it before our flights for the holidays. Figured we had nothing to lose. My six year old son even took it (half a tablet as recommended on the package) and liked the taste, :) orange!!!

I don't know if it was that or not but we did not get sick on this trip!!! :D

I would be willing to spend $4 again on it.

I totally believe in Airborne. I don't care if it is medically proven (probably not) or just a case of PMA (positive mental attitude). It has worked for me in the past and $5 is a small price to pay to try and stay healthy for my $$$$$ cruise vacation. Pop a couple and have a great cruise!

I have used airborne with success but before our recently completed trans-Atlantic 15 day cruise I took a product called Cold FX which is herbal and builds up your immune system, that was recommended by some cruise critic people. I started it four days before leaving to fly to Barcelona prior to the cruise. The first day you take three pills three times a day. The second day two pills three times a day. The third day 1 pill three times a day and then one pill twice a day. There were many people on the ship that had bad enough colds to go to sick bay (and I didn't hear of anyone that got out of there for less than $200) but I was not one of them. Take cold medicine with you because the ship's store sold out of them quickly (and they were outrageously priced) just in case. After we got home, husband came down with a bad cold and is still on cold pills 10 days later. He did not do anything preventive in spite of me shaking the pill bottle in his face prior to leaving. I have been smiling a lot (lol).

Tucker in Texas

I have used airborne with success but before our recently completed trans-Atlantic 15 day cruise I took a product called Cold FX which is herbal and builds up your immune system, that was recommended by some cruise critic people. I started it four days before leaving to fly to Barcelona prior to the cruise. The first day you take three pills three times a day. The second day two pills three times a day. The third day 1 pill three times a day and then one pill twice a day. There were many people on the ship that had bad enough colds to go to sick bay (and I didn't hear of anyone that got out of there for less than $200) but I was not one of them. Take cold medicine with you because the ship's store sold out of them quickly (and they were outrageously priced) just in case. After we got home, husband came down with a bad cold and is still on cold pills 10 days later. He did not do anything preventive in spite of me shaking the pill bottle in his face prior to leaving. I have been smiling a lot (lol).

Tucker in Texas

Is Cold FX available in the US? There was a thing on the news here the other day about their stock going down because it wasn't approved by the fda.

We start taking it about 4 days before the cruise, and take it every day while on the cruise. So far, so good, may just be psychological, but that's okay, long as I don't get sick. Spent too many patrols while in the Navy, sick many times while out to sea (submarine air is truly recycled air), and don't want to do it while on vacation.

I do, and have since Airborne came out. I've never gotten sick on a plane or cruise. Now, I don't know if that has anything to do with taking Airborne, but I'm not going to tempt fate! :)

On the other side of the coin, I awalys eat pizza the night before a flight or a cruise and I have never been sick on a cruise or flight. So I am guessing that pizza is just as good as airborn to keep you healthy. Yes I am joking about this, but the logic is the same!

Hi,

I'm thinking of taking airborne for my cruise. I was going to buy the little packets that you add to your water. Does anyone think this helps and if so, how do you take them. I don't really know when to begin. Ever since I came down with really bad tonsilitis from a 3 hour flight I've gotten a bit paranoid!

melody

Not trying to be mean, picky, what have you but I REALLY doubt you got the tonsilitis from the airplane ride. You probably had it before you flew and it took a day or so to get going and it just happened to really get going at the same time you were on the airplane. There is no way you could prove it came from the plane unless you swabbed everything on the plane down and did microbiological tests to prove it was live on the airplane. Then you would have to prove you touched that then it got into you and even then it would take some time to fester and grow. Think of all the things you touched before you got on the plane, it probably came from there.

Archived