Who is the best dive operator in Grenada?

scubadiver888

• 9 months later...
There was nothing to summarize. I ended up diving with the cruise ship. I got nothing. :(

We are on the Summit in mid-Feb. I am lining up our diving with outside operators in all five ports based on recommendations from ScubaBoard.com.

If you are not familiar with ScubaBoard, you should check it out.

We are on the Summit in mid-Feb. I am lining up our diving with outside operators in all five ports based on recommendations from ScubaBoard.com.

If you are not familiar with ScubaBoard, you should check it out.

I asked about Grenada on scubaboard.com and got no response there either. Mind you, I have gotten recommendations from people on scubaboard.com for other destinations and it turned out to be the worst dive of all the ports I went to.

I've decided to build my network of people I know locally and trust their opinion. I've found different people like different things. I know the guys I dive with here and can figure out if what they like is something I'm going to like. I'll still ask here and scubaboard.com but I don't expect much from the Internet anymore.

Just curious, what are the five ports you are going to?

We have dove with Aquanauts in Grenada. They are excellent and they pick us up to dive. They have good dive boats and fun crew.

http://www.aquanautsgrenada.com/

We have also dove with Dive Grenada which we booked through the ship and they where horrible. Crappy boats horrible crew.

That being said diving was just OK. 6-7

We have dove with Aquanauts in Grenada. They are excellent and they pick us up to dive. They have good dive boats and fun crew.

We have also dove with Dive Grenada which we booked through the ship and they where horrible. Crappy boats horrible crew.

Thanks gvre. I'm going back down again in April. I've been to Grenada a few times now but afer the first time I skipped the diving. I sailed with Princess and they had us go out with Eco Trek and Dive, a group that does tec diving and hiking through the rain forest. It wasn't horrible but it was probably the worst dive of the trip (and I dive every port if possible).

I had a look at the aquanauts web site. It looks promising. Do you know if they would be willing to take a single diver and pair them up with someone else? I dive by myself (unless I can find a buddy on ship). Most the time I cannot join an existing group. :(

I'll ping them directly to confirm a dive in April.

Can you elaborate more on why Dive Grenada was a horrible dive? There were a few things on the web site that hinted at potential problems but I'd like to hear your story.

Thanks,

Darrell

Went as a single with Dive Grenada last spring. It was so-so. Here is a breakdown as I recall.

Driver pickedup 5 of us at the Taxi stand area, about a 30 minute drive to shop. Little shop right on beach and part of a Hotel. Lots of people milling around. Very small area to gear up, just out in the grass or sand. This is NOT a dive for folks that like to be waited on hand and foot. They give you your gear and you do your own set up AND CARRY IT OUT TO THE BOAT. The boat is small (about 10 or 12 if full). You carry ALL your gear to the boat in chest deep water. About 45 minute ride to reef areas and the monument gardens (funny thing is you go right past the cruise ships).

Dives were okay, about 50 - 60 ft. Typical Carib reef with small critters. Clear water and temp was good. The monument garden area is neat, try to be near front of the group or it gets real stirred up and silty by the time everyone is done checking it out.

No room to move around on boat. Find a spot and that is it for the ride (balance reasons). When you get back, they throw the used tanks in the water and you carry your gear back to the shore. Someone from the shop will help you the last few steps as you come up the beach.

Not the most relaxing way to cruise ship dive but for an experienced diver it was not a problem.

Good luck, enjoy your dive.

scubadiver888

Sounds like the same Dive Grenada I did. Also the dive master, an English guy, insisted on smoking after the dives crammed in on that tiny boat. On the other hand Aquanauts has nice big boat, very professional, they took us to good dive sites, I can't remember, but I think one was a wreck dive.

Anyway you should have no problem budding up with someone or the DM.

Once again having dove over 20 Islands in the Caribbean I would give this a 6-7.

scubadiver888

Sounds like the same Dive Grenada I did. Also the dive master, an English guy, insisted on smoking after the dives crammed in on that tiny boat. On the other hand Aquanauts has nice big boat, very professional, they took us to good dive sites, I can't remember, but I think one was a wreck dive.

Anyway you should have no problem budding up with someone or the DM.

Once again having dove over 20 Islands in the Caribbean I would give this a 6-7.

Thanks gvre,

Well, at least the eco trek guy didn't smoke. That would be a definite deal breaker for me.

Hmm, I think I'm going to start a 'which islands have you dove on' thread. Just did a count and I'm only at 12 different islands. I'm going to try and add 4 more this April. :D

I'm definitely going to give aquanauts a try.

Darrell

My dh likes to use Native Spirit Scuba in Grenada. They are very friendly and they let me snorkel while dh is diving. We also charater the boat for half a day and we pick the spots we want to go to. They also pick us at the water taxi pier right by the cruise ship and drop us off there too. This price also includes drinks and sandwiches.

http://divinggrenada.com/scuba.htm

Have a good trip on the Tahitian Princess. We sailed that boat in May of 2006 and had a very good time. We just got back (in Sept) from a 10 day cruise on the MS Paul Gauguin. Love FP!

Archived