When/How to get the best cruise fare?

SuzCruise

DH and I are considering the April 7th EC cruise on the Mariner. We haven't booked yet and are trying to determine how to get the best fare. So my question for your experts is 1) Is there a certain time that Regent drops it's prices (ie - 2 months out) and 2) is it normal TA protocol to honor lower prices for those that have already booked and paid earlier. We don't care which category of cabin we get or where on this cruise - so booking last minute isn't an issue. Any other tips on getting a good fare?

Thanks for the help!!!

They will have a lot of pull with the cruise line. Our agent says that if the fares drop they will contact the cruise company and get either an upgrade or something to make it right for you. You also have to consider your airfare. Many time there are great last minute offers but the airfare kills you.

I have been amazed on the price difference on Regent if you shop around despite being told that Regent controls the price. We have used an on line agent and have been very happy with the service and even more so the price.

Last year we booked on board the Mariner we recieved a price but when we got home and called our agent we were able to save about $1500 dollars from the price Regent gave us..

Thanks for anyone that has responded - but I am really just trying to get answers to 2 rather simple questions without getting my thread closed.

1) Is there a certain date or number of days prior to sailing that Regent starts dropping prices? ie - 2 months out or 3 months out or not until 2 weeks out?

2) Is it standard TA protocol to honor a lower fare if fares drop after you pay?

We just don't know if it makes since to book now or if we should wait. There isn't an issue of getting a particular class or location of cabin and the ship still has wide availability so we aren't afraid of "missing the boat".

Thanks for your help!!

SuzCruise

Thanks for anyone that has responded - but I am really just trying to get answers to 2 rather simple questions without getting my thread closed.

1) Is there a certain date or number of days prior to sailing that Regent starts dropping prices? ie - 2 months out or 3 months out or not until 2 weeks out?

2) Is it standard TA protocol to honor a lower fare if fares drop after you pay?

We just don't know if it makes since to book now or if we should wait. There isn't an issue of getting a particular class or location of cabin and the ship still has wide availability so we aren't afraid of "missing the boat".

Thanks for your help!!

SuzCruise

Depending on the cruise, Regent usually offers a percentage off for early bookings. Apparently there's a limit to how many cabins will be sold at that "discounted" rate. So, as another poster indicated, best prices generally are those booked earliest.

To answer your question directly, there is no "standard" price drop honoring by travel agents. You need to ask specifically and then get an email confirming it.

As to when (if) Regent drops its price, that really depends on passenger loads and other factors. Rather than considering when or if there may be a price drop in particular categories, consider that usually the most expensive and least expensive suites are sold first, so if the suite doesn't matter much to you I would suggest you book earlier than later as the lower categories probably will not be discounted much, if at all.

As stated previously, unlike the mass market lines, on Regent the best prices are usually earlier, not later. So you're more likely to get the best price now for the 2009 cruises which were just posted on the Regent website. Sometimes they will drop prices later on but that is the exception, rather than the rule...see answer to next question.

If the fare drops, then yes, a GOOD TA will notify you and take care of getting you the lower fare. Let's just say that is what I've experienced. I've never had to ask specifically and then get an email confirming it. It was taken care of for me and I was notified.

Thanks for your help!!

SuzCruise

I would book now if there's something you see. As an example, one year out my SO and I booked our PG cruise. It was a great deal, low fares and empty. It stayed empty until the summer. Then it became full. It was not primetime by any means (right before XMas) yet it sold out. If you're not particular about your cabin, book a guarantee and take your chances that you'll be upgraded. However I wouldn't do that on the Navigator because of the vibration issue. (some say there's a vibration on the Voyager also. I didn't really feel it.)

Regent very rarely drops the prices like the mass market lines do. Your best discount will come with an early booking. For example, we usually book a year in advance and get a significant discount from the brochure price. Same generally holds true for Silversea.

Going with the others (Chatcat, dougburns, and AtA), after at least 20 RSSC cruises. Get a good agent who provides personal email and phone service, not just internet advice, and shop around! Mine is one of those who always goes to bat IF prices are lowered later, but they almost never are, except for maybe a promotion for first time bookers. Early booking is almost always best on Regent. Ship sells from the bottom up in standard cabins, so if you snooze, you lose.

Archived