Tulum

sixgun8

I don't see a lot of people talking about Tulum on here?? We looked at this as a must do excursion. Is there a reason why noone is mentioning it? Is it an excursion that fills up quickly or that is too boring?

Tulum is fascinating however it´s expensive, long and sometimes hectic for a day trip from Cozumel. You must take a 45 min ferry to the mainland, then a 1 hr bus ride to Tulum. It´s almost 4 hours of transfer time. Plus, at $100 usd a pop, Tulum is something to visit on another trip. Look for something cultural that leaves you with more time to do other things on the Island.

Not to mention the water taxi ride to the mainland can sometimes be rough. That was the closest, and I mean VERY close!, that my husband and I ever came to being sick on a cruise.

We did enjoy Tulum, but we did it on our first cruise, but realized afterwards that it would have been better left for a time when we were ON the mainland.

ok, let me go back and mention that we are both History Geeks.

I personally am laning more towards the race fantastique, simply because I am a very competitive person and love that atmosphere, but the sure thing of a historical tour appeals to us.

Well, I wouldn't call us history "geeks", but we do like to learn about the history and the cultural aspects, etc. We have visited ruins on at least one stop on every cruise. If you think this is the only time you'll be in the area with a chance to see Tulum, then by all means, go there from Cozumel. If there's a good chance you'll be in the Yucatan again, then do it from the mainland.

Does that help?

Go to Tulum! You'll love it! The view from the cliff is worth the entire trip! It is a fascinating place, and I took several rolls of film there. (So obviously there was a lot worth photographing!) Yes, the boat ride from Cozumel to Playa del Carmen can be rough, but it is a nice, big, air conditioned boat....not like the usual tender boats. The bus ride doesn't seem that long, because the guide is talking about Mayan history for most of the trip. I highly recommend this excursion! It is a FULL DAY, and you won't be able to shop at Cozumel at all. But there is some shopping at Tulum, and they stop at a little shop along the way.

Archived