Zaandam Thermal Suite

Oldtimer 82

If anyone who was on the Zaandam which will arrive on January 4h and has been to the Thermal Suite please tell me of your experience. My wife and I are leaving on the January 19th cruise and I think that the use of the hot water pool will help her bad back. Also the use of the "ceramic" lounges should be helpful. I don't mind paying for a full cruise pass if the use of the facilities would be what I am hoping for.

I have read a lot of posts with regards to the Thermal Suites and they seem to vary greatly from ship to ship. It seems that the Zaandam has a much smaller pool and the water is not too warm.

I also would also like to know if there was any kind medical problem aboard.

Thank you for your kindness.

Oldtimer 82

I think spending time in the thermal suite is a wonderful idea. It's relaxing and warm. How about going up there to take a look around when you get there on the 19th? There will be an open house/tour.

Many posters on this board are big fans of the thermal suite. I say go for it:)

I will leave the question about a medical problem for someone who sailed on the cruise preceding yours. As you know, there will always be medical issues in any population. Cruise ships are no different. The doctors and nurses are ready and able.

Happy Sailing!

Hi Blue Ribbon Voyager,

As you so rightly put it I am very new at this and I don't even know if this is the correct way to reply to you.

I did realize my mistake with regards to the "red question mark" after I send the post. I tried to correct my error with two other messages because I was not making a complaint. I am too old and life is too short for me to complain about anything.

I do appreciate your "gentle" reply and thank you for responding.

Oldtimer 82

Thank you so very much for such a fine reply, I have read many of the reports with regards to the thermal suites, but the one's for the Zaandam seem to emphasis the smallness of the Therapy pool.

When we board, we will investigate the pool and the warmth of the water. I think that even if the size is small, my wife will benefit from the heat and being able to do slight exercises by moving her arms and legs. I am sure we both will enjoy the thermal chairs if they are available.

Again I wish to thank you for replying to my question. :) :)

Oldtimer 82

Only the Vista class ships have the BIG Thermal pool.

The R and S class ships had the thermal pool added as part of the Signature of Excellance program. It is the same size as a whirl pool -- JMO - not worth the money.

We found the thermal pool in the thermal suite on Volendam to be really nice. First, of course, it is indoors with all those beautiful picture windows. Secondly it is relatively private -- I don't think there were many other occasions that two others were in the pool with us. Third, there is no extra charge for it, it is part of the Thermal Suite. So we found the Volendam Thermal Suite and thermal pool to be a real bargain!

Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/volendam.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

Dear Mike,

What a wonderful response. The pictures alone were enough to make me want to sign up for the Thermal pools. I am now sure that my wife and I will enjoy our cruise to Hawaii much more by using the spa as often as we can. Our bones are already creaking from the weather and we haven't even had our real winter yet. Hopefully the weather will co-operate and we aren't snowed in when we have to board the plane for San Diego. Would hate to have our flights canceled even though we are arriving a few days early so our luggage can catch up if it is lost enroute.

Thanks again for replying, and I know my wife will be happy to see y'all taking advantage of the spa.:) :)

Oldtimer 82

Hello Oldtimer 82,

I was just on the Zaandam for 15 days in October and I paid for the full trip using the Thermal Suite. I felt the Thermal Suite was well worth it. Every afternoon I went up there and laying on those heated tile chairs was my kind of afternoon. I took my afternoon nap on those things. The T-Pool is just a jacuzzi and when I was there it was pretty warm. Unlike the Oosterdam's large T-Pool which was body temperature. Even though it was like a regular jacuzzi it was very relaxing and a wonderful view of the ocean going by. Also I liked the private deck outside to lay in the sun as well.. So overall for me I felt it was worth it and if I ever go on a cruise with so many sea days again I will purchase the full package again.

I have health (heart) issues as well and the chairs and Jacuzzi didn't cause any problems. There was also a sauna and steam room and those I could not use but I did go in just to look and they were HOT inside. If you want a very relaxing time this is the place to go.

Nobby

Hi Nobbync,

So very nice of you to reply to my query. The photos that you had of your cruise were fantastic and it was wonderful looking at them. After reading all of the various replys I received I feel that the use of the thermal suite will be very beneficial for my wife and I. I know that we both enjoy the warmth of the water on these old bones and I cannot be in the sun to enjoy the outside pool, so the thermal pool and lounges sound like just the ticket. When we board we will see if we can get a pass for the entire cruise.

Thanks again for a wonderful response. I wish you and yours many more happy and healthy cruises.:) :)

Oldtimer 82

Archived