Tipping question

I chose to prepay tipping when I made my resevation to Mexico the end of Feb. I will tip more if service is above average. My question is:

If I don't put cash in the envelope the last night will I be given the 'stink eye' because crew might think I'm a tightwad?

This is my first RCI cruise and to be honest after reading all the negatives here I'm a bit nervous as this is also my first solo. But then again other Lines boards are the same way. :p

Any tips I might be able to use?

Thanks.

Winnie <-----> woo hoo..can't wait to pack that duct tape so I know I'm goin'on a cruise :D

I chose to prepay tipping when I made my resevation to Mexico the end of Feb. I will tip more if service is above average. My question is:

If I don't put cash in the envelope the last night will I be given the 'stink eye' because crew might think I'm a tightwad?

This is my first RCI cruise and to be honest after reading all the negatives here I'm a bit nervous as this is also my first solo. But then again other Lines boards are the same way. :p

Thanks.

Winnie <-----> woo hoo..can't wait to pack that duct tape so I know I'm goin'on a cruise :D

You will be given a voucher to put in the envelope for each person letting them know you prepayed the tips. If you feel they did a good service for you, by all means add a little extra if you wish to. Otherwise the voucher is fine.

Thanks.

To be honest...I prepay too. On the second to last night you will receive vouchers. you put the vouchers in the envelopes. I alway tip extra, granted the service merits it. As for getting the evil eye, i've heard stories, but have never had this happen to me. The best thing you can do is verbally tell that crew member how well they did. I also make it a point to e-mail the cruise line mention the specific name of those who took care with me as that's how they recieve promotions/demotions, based on comments.

As for RCCL, I won't cruise with any other line. I have had a few negative experiences, but the positives outway the negatives so heavily, those small blemishes are minute. I think you'll have a good time.

To be honest...I prepay too. On the second to last night you will receive vouchers. you put the vouchers in the envelopes. I alway tip extra, granted the service merits it. As for getting the evil eye, i've heard stories, but have never had this happen to me. The best thing you can do is verbally tell that crew member how well they did. I also make it a point to e-mail the cruise line mention the specific name of those who took care with me as that's how they recieve promotions/demotions, based on comments.

As for RCCL, I won't cruise with any other line. I have had a few negative experiences, but the positives outway the negatives so heavily, those small blemishes are minute. I think you'll have a good time.

Thanks to everyone for the clarification. :)

UTBJG....

Are there comment cards left on the dining tables and in the cabins? I always (twice) leave comments as I do know how very important they are to the crew. :)

Thanks,

Winnie <-----> never been treated badly on all of her 2 prior cruises! :D

Can't wait to sail RCCL......really have heard a lot of nice things and my goal in retired life is to try them all! :eek:

Thanks.

Members of the crew know of the policy and that they will receive their tips through the ship. Moreover, those who prepay still receive vouchers for each membere of the crew they will be tipping, informing them that they will be receiving their tips in this manner; for those you feel deserve extra money, you can add in in the envelopes with the vouchures the last

night.:)

Thanks to everyone for the clarification. :)

UTBJG....

Are there comment cards left on the dining tables and in the cabins? I always (twice) leave comments as I do know how very important they are to the crew. :)

Thanks,

Winnie <-----> never been treated badly on all of her 2 prior cruises! :D

Can't wait to sail RCCL......really have heard a lot of nice things and my goal in retired life is to try them all! :eek:

Yes...they place the tips envelopes two nights before debarkation. then the night before, they put out the guest survey. one for each person in the room. it allows you to rate all facets of your cruise. from your cabin steward, to bar staff, captain, cruise director, cleanliness, kids programs, shows, food, etc. it also allows you to write messages. it is my understanding that every single one of these cards is meticulously scrutinized. that's another way i get my point across about the way the staff was, plus my e-mails. On my last cruise, i was less than a happy camper due to the fact you couldn't use the hot tubs b/c of all the 13 year olds running them over, when it blatantly said no one under the age of 18 without an adult. i put that on the card, as well as via e-mail to rccl. it didn't ruin my experience, but being a person who has worked in fine dining, it might be useful for a future guest. plus, like i said in the previous post, i've gotta give my kudos where they are deserved, that's another reason i write RCCL corporate....happy cruising!

My experience has been that one customer sat survey is placed in each room. I wish they'd put more than one - on two of my three cruises, I was rooming with a friend, and on the third my son & his girlfriend roomed with me. The cruise experience can be very different when the people in the room go their own ways a good deal of the time....

I've completed those customer satisfaction surveys, but submitted negative comments twice. I was contacted, via email, by RCCL for one of them, with the comment being that they couldn't do anything about it, and the second (involving giving the cabin steward a gift card as a bonus tip and him returning it) never elicited as response from RCCL

I've completed those customer satisfaction surveys, but submitted negative comments twice. I was contacted, via email, by RCCL for one of them, with the comment being that they couldn't do anything about it, and the second (involving giving the cabin steward a gift card as a bonus tip and him returning it) never elicited as response from RCCL

Never give tips as a gift card or special dollars etc.

A lot of times crew members won't have the chance to use gift cards because of lack of port time. If their contract ends and they have time off they usually rush home to their home lands. There was a great website with a blog from a cruise ship employee I just don't remember the site). He gave very good hints. One hint in regards to tipping was: even though it is well intended but most cruise employees won't have use for gift cards. Instead letting it go to waste they return it to be used. Also special dollars or brand new bank notes are often not welcome. A lot of them exchange their cash in the country where they live and the banks or exchange stores in their respective countries won't take brand new bills or specialty dollars.

PS: the 'prepay gratuities' is a nice thing but I don't use it. I am the old fashion traditional cruiser and rather stuff the envelopes with money. :D

My experience has been that one customer sat survey is placed in each room. I wish they'd put more than one - on two of my three cruises, I was rooming with a friend, and on the third my son & his girlfriend roomed with me. The cruise experience can be very different when the people in the room go their own ways a good deal of the time....

After they have started to give the cards have been given out (around 6:30 or 7) you can request more --at least we have been able to on Grandeur and Radiance. They will give you one less than the number of people in the room since one will be left in your room. They will ask you the reason like more than one adult in the room. They will also have you sign a form stating that you are taking the form since they are responsible for any form that is given out. Since there are only two of us I'm not sure if each person in the room that wants an additional form would have to request it.

My mom and I do this for many of the cruises that we've taken for just the reasons you've mentioned.

Archived