Connecting balconies and Cat 9

ykckby

Could anyone tell me if the balconies on the Freedom connect?

And also...how are the category 9 balconies? more space and worth it?

Thanks

kim

First we became balcony snobs, now we are 9A snobs:rolleyes: . You just have to go to the pursers desk (one person from each cabin) and ask them to open the partition between the rooms. We usually have the guys go do this as soon as we get on the boat and the doors are opened by the next day. We love 9A's actually more then suites. Great room layout, more space then regular balcony rooms, his and her closets and great extended balcony that the room steward was wonderful at bringing us some lounge chairs from the lido deck so we could layout in privacy.

First we became balcony snobs, now we are 9A snobs:rolleyes: . Y

Thanks so much...just the information I needed. I am looking at the Freedom for next New Years but thought a balcony and 9a connecting would work with the family. I've only cruised Carnival once and that was when the kids were much younger.

kim

One more quick question....Do you get the 9a with that is aft...the ones on the corner? And...is there a size difference depending on the deck?

Thanks again...hmmm perhaps we are looking at the same cruise? 12/28/08

Brent,

9A cabins are located on the aft corners of decks 6, 7, & 8 along with two side balcony cabins adjacent to the 9A corner wraps on deck 8. Deck 6 9As sleep three while the others sleep only 2.

ykckby,

Yes there's a size difference, but not significant.

Hey Paul! Hope all is well with your family! We had the 9A on the Upper deck (deck 6) last year on the Glory and we loved it. It only held two people though, not even a couch in it. This year we moved up to the Empress deck and have it booked for two as well. It may very from ship to ship. If there was a couch in our room on the Upper deck it was plenty big enough to hold three people. I will post pictures of our cabin on deck seven when we return this year.

Hey Paul! Hope all is well with your family! We had the 9A on the Upper deck (deck 6) last year on the Glory and we loved it. It only held two people though, not even a couch in it. This year we moved up to the Empress deck and have it booked for two as well. It may very from ship to ship. If there was a couch in our room on the Upper deck it was plenty big enough to hold three people. I will post pictures of our cabin on deck seven when we return this year.

Gail,

Yes all is well thanks. And yours?

I remembered there were exceptions to deck 6 9As sleeping three, but I couldn't remember where or how I remembered that. :o You spent too much time in your 9A! :D

Your pictures and experience with the 9A were the selling points for our booking our next three cruises in 9As! We're also looking at booking Spirit's corner aft cat 11 for Easter '09. Why'd you get us hooked on 9As? :confused:

Paul.....sorry to crash the thread.

But I just wanted to thank you. If I remember correctly your last review was a WONDERFUL photo review. You taught a few of us how to add full size photos. I knew then that that was how I wanted to do my reviews in the future. I did a photo review after my October Miracle and I received high praise for my attempts and the format used. Since then a few other CC'ers had followed suit, and many find it to be a great format for posting a review...........I personally owe what I know to you. You've made it easier to convey the details in my post.

I thank you!!!

Not all balcony dividers open up in the AFT... be sure to ask, and look at pictures. Several times we have gotten all the AFT balconies and only certain ones open to others... also, make sure to ask early as only a certain number of dividers can be opened on each cruise.

First we became balcony snobs, now we are 9A snobs:rolleyes: . You just have to go to the pursers desk (one person from each cabin) and ask them to open the partition between the rooms. We usually have the guys go do this as soon as we get on the boat and the doors are opened by the next day. We love 9A's actually more then suites. Great room layout, more space then regular balcony rooms, his and her closets and great extended balcony that the room steward was wonderful at bringing us some lounge chairs from the lido deck so we could layout in privacy.

We are also 9A snobs..our cruise in May will be our 4th one! Weve had the corner aft on Mariner on RC also. We had the corner aft on Valor in August and 2 other couples had the 2 afts next to us. We had all the partitions opened up and it was awesome! Our room steward did it for us, we never went to the pursers desk. Once you go aft you never back!

Brent,

9A cabins are located on the aft corners of decks 6, 7, & 8 along with two side balcony cabins adjacent to the 9A corner wraps on deck 8. Deck 6 9As sleep three while the others sleep only 2.

ykckby,

Yes there's a size difference, but not significant.

Thanks for the info, I think I might see if theres one available. Is one floor better than the other, there will be just 2 of us.

Thanks

Brent:)

thinking of changing my cabin to a 9a on glory verandah deck, has anyone stayed in one of these??? any pics? how is the layout, is there a couch? really nervous about doing this......is there lots of rocking and rolling in the back.....

thinking of changing my cabin to a 9a on glory verandah deck, has anyone stayed in one of these??? any pics? how is the layout, is there a couch? really nervous about doing this......is there lots of rocking and rolling in the back.....

Don't be nervouse about rocking and rolling! Even in rough seas we felt no more than anywhere else on the ship. Here are a few pictures of 6452 on the Glory. Our beds were set up as twins we we got to the cabin because my son was listed as being in the cabin with my DH (we have to play that game when we book because of children under 25; I think they relaxed the rules in 2008) The room was spacious, but no couch. I think that varies from deck to deck. You will not regret your decision!

2554921160064948802S600x600Q85.jpg

2458781400064948802S600x600Q85.jpg

2602942580064948802S600x600Q85.jpg

2129828360064948802S600x600Q85.jpg

Gail,

Yes all is well thanks. And yours?

I remembered there were exceptions to deck 6 9As sleeping three, but I couldn't remember where or how I remembered that. :o You spent too much time in your 9A! :D

Your pictures and experience with the 9A were the selling points for our booking our next three cruises in 9As! We're also looking at booking Spirit's corner aft cat 11 for Easter '09. Why'd you get us hooked on 9As? :confused:

Family is great Paul! Kevin is a senior in HS....our last one of the five boys to put through college! Now we are waiting on the acceptance/rejection letters!

I had 8273 on the Spirit for our cruise to Alaska; again a great choice you made! As far a suites go, these can't be beat! I am a big fan of the Spirit class ships! I was with my mom on this cruise so our beds were twins:

2968704950064948802S600x600Q85.jpg

The balcony is even better than the 9A's:

2529385710064948802S600x600Q85.jpg

I loved having a separate living area!

2061592990064948802S600x600Q85.jpg

Thank you all for your replies to my original post.

I notice that several of you who answered are devoted Carnival fans. We are in our 50's, kids are in 20's and I've only cruised Carnival once - the Legend I think it was over Christmas maybe 4 or 5 years ago. The number of truly drunk people by 11 am was to me weird....their behavior by noon went beyond weird! I'm seriously looking at a cruise for next December and admit to being nervous about "the Carnival perception". Yet, I'm also a logical person...there are rude people on all cruises so I'm not sure I'm justified in my fears.

So...could any of you give me a sense of what it is that draws you consistently back to Carnival? I love CC but always take the posts with a grain of salt when someone gets on and totally dishes a cruiseline.

Thanks

kim

We are also in our 50's, son in his teens, three in their 20's and :eek: one in his 30's! We cruise Carnival because it is affordable for all of us and we like to have our sons/wives/grandchildren along. As far as comparisons go, we have only been on RCI Mariner of the Seas. We have to cruise over spring break, which usually brings a more rowdy crowd on board any ship. We liked the MOS, the decor was a little more elegant, but as far as "dollar for dollar"/same itinerary, we will stick with Carnival. We have been pleased and never had any issue as far as really rowdy/rude people. You are correct though...they are everywhere. We LOVE the Carnival bedding; our best week of sleep on any vacation is aboard ship! Food is consistently good, cabins are always clean and in good repair, and we have always lucked out and had amazing cabin stewards. I also like the discount they offer the military vets!

I had a travel agent tell me once that the "older" cruisers looking for a more sedate crowd usually go with Holland. Carnival tends to attract younger crowds, but at this point we are still able to keep up :D Hope this helps!

Kim -

We're a family of 5. Started cruising when the now 18 year olds were 15.

We cruise with Carnival due to value for the money. We can get 3 cabins for the cost of 1 on Disney. We did a cruise last year on Princess - nice ship etc but not appropriate for our then 7yo. We only took that cruise as I found a tremendous deal on their mini-suites.

Right now, it's all about value and familiarity. I can't see spending twice as much to go to the same places...

BTW, we don't drink much (maybe 1 or 2 drinks at the Captains or Past Guest party) and aren't huge party people - we're usually in our cabin asleep by 11:00.

Thank you all for your replies to my original post.

I notice that several of you who answered are devoted Carnival fans. We are in our 50's, kids are in 20's and I've only cruised Carnival once - the Legend I think it was over Christmas maybe 4 or 5 years ago. The number of truly drunk people by 11 am was to me weird....their behavior by noon went beyond weird! I'm seriously looking at a cruise for next December and admit to being nervous about "the Carnival perception". Yet, I'm also a logical person...there are rude people on all cruises so I'm not sure I'm justified in my fears.

So...could any of you give me a sense of what it is that draws you consistently back to Carnival? I love CC but always take the posts with a grain of salt when someone gets on and totally dishes a cruiseline.

Thanks

kim

Having only been on carnival (feb. will be our 12th) I have nothing else to compare to..but for us like OP stated gives us an affordable vacation for our whole famiy.....which is now 2 DS and @ DIL and 1 DS and buddy....

Thank you all very much for your "Carnival thoughts" which make a lot of sense. I think we will look to try Carnival again because as you point out, it enables the family to vacation together and a reasonable rate.

kim

Archived