Captain Marvins refund if skipped? or stay in boat?

momofthreegoobs

We are cruising in a couple weeks w/ your 3 kids..8 yrs, 4yrs & 7mths (baby staying w/ Grandparents during stingrays) I don't mean to jinx this...but I have been starting to worry about bad weather in GC. I want to go sooo bad!

Does anybody know if Cpt Marvins will refund with ease if not stopping in GC?

& does anybody know if CM will refund if your children go & decide not to get in the water...or do you still pay full price anyway?

One more :) ..Those of you who have been on Cpt Marvins...how deep is the water you snorkle in? I am hoping it is near the sandbar & you can reach so my kids will enjoy it more.

Thanx everybody!

We always use Captain Marvin's for our snorkeling excursions. You won't pay for your excursion until the day you are there, so if your ship doesn't make it into port (weather issues or whatever) you won't have to worry about trying to deal with a refund. They'll hold your spot with a credit card, but you can pay for the excursion (when you're in their office) with cash, if you prefer.

I'd say that the children will pay full price no matter if they get in the water or not. The boats only hold so many people (we've never had more than 15-20 on an excursion), so I would imagine everyone counts as a participant. Every time we've gone on the excursion, there were a couple of people who never got in the water...and a couple of kids who didn't either. One family with young children took turns snorkeling and the crew member brought a stingray over to the boat for the children to see.

Only one time were we in water that was about 5' at Stingray Sandbar. The place just happened to be packed, and where they anchored was a bit deep (but we didn't have any small children on the boat for that excursion). The other times the water was too our knees or just a little above that. So I'd say the odds are that you'll be in shallow water. You might ask the crew about this when you board. I am sure they are going to do their best to find a place that's suitable for the children to be able to get out and be able to touch the bottom of the sandbar.

You might also find out if the video company is going to be on your excursion (Joan at Captain Marvin's gave me this info). I think it was $70 or so for a DVD and the DVD was just amazing. I have the e-mail address of this video company around here somewhere and can find it for you if you're interested. I sent them an e-mail in advance giving them the date and time of our excursion and asked them if they'd have someone on this excursion to video our outing...and they were there as promised. They even hand-delivered the DVD to our condo a couple of days later. For cruise ship passengers, they'll mail it to you.

Have a great time. Grand Cayman is our favorite island. We stay there for the week and toodle all over the island. It's quite safe anywhere you want to go. Just use the usual precautions and you'll be fine.

Have fun!

The above poster has it right; you will not be charged if for some reason your ship does not stop. We used Capt. Marvin and had kids 3,4,5 & 5 along. As I remember (three years ago) there was a slight price reduction for the youngest.

It was kind of coolish and choppy that day and none of the little kids stayed in the water longer than a minute or two; even with help from us (grandparents and experienced snorkelers) and the crew it was the conditions were too much for them. And they are all very used to the water, living by a lake.

The snorkeling area is not shallow enough to stand, especially for kids. The sandbar for stingrays was about 4 feet the day we were there. None of the kids would get into the water with them, except one daughter, in her dad's arms.

There was no price reduction because they didn't take advantage of the snorkeling or stingrays, and I didn't expect any. The kids still enjoyed the excursion a lot; the boat ride, watching the stingrays, free fruit punch, etc.!

Twinkle & NCruiser - Thanx! I like the sound of a small number of people being on the boad (which is what I have heard previously & why I chose CM) as opposed to booking through Carnival & you can be packed! I have searched on youtube.com & watched passengers' videos & there are people EVERYWHERE & yelling, screaming & all that (mainly teens & such being goofy). I hope it is a calmer day when we are there. We are leaving the baby on land...she will be staying w/ Grandparents while we do this. We will pick her up after & take her to the Royal Palms w/ us. I expected to still pay even if they decide to stay on the boat. Not a big deal. Even if they don't get in...they will still LOVE that experience! We are from Oklahoma & the kids have never been to the ocean (not many lake trips either) so they will be in aaawww :D . Not to mention that this will be our first real 'ocean/beach' day b/c Jamaica is the only port before that & I think we are just going to stick to shopping, sight seeing & jerk chicken (not much to do there w/ small kids & recently I heard about sand fleas?!?!:eek: YUCK!)

Thanx so much for your responses! Also glad to know that I can just reserve it w/ my credit card then pay there.

There are these double-decker boats that you'll see (I think they say "Kirk" on the sides), and I believe those are the ship excursions. There's no way I'd want to be on one of those boats. We love CM's because there aren't that many people on the excursion and they really take good care of you. They also have life vests to use should you want one for yourself or your children.

One time we were the only boat at stingray sandbar, and it was amazing. We always book the excursion for a day when there are no ships in port...and we usually have the place to ourselves. However, even when it's crowded, it's really an amazing experience.

I wouldn't book any excursion through the ship for Grand Cayman. It's a safe place and you can do you own thing a lot cheaper. Just grab a cab in the port area and head over to Royal Palms.

Here's their website (the Reef Grill is the name of the restaurant at RP) in case you don't have it.

http://www.reefgrill.com/pages/cruiseinfo.html

Here's Kirk's website. They do all the water rentals at Royal Palms.

http://www.kirkseatours.com/diveshop.shtml

To get to their dock, CM's will take you along the 7MB area, and you'll turn right next to the Courtyard Marriott (which is across the street from Sea Grape-on 7mB). CM's also has a small gift shop, but right next door is a nice little gift shop that I've found all sorts of things at. I thought I'd mention this since we were pinched for time when we were there for our first visit (we were on a cruise ship) and I was happy to see this shop because we didn't have enough time to walk through town looking for souvenirs.

Also, if you order food or drink at Royal Palms, the tip will most likely be added into your bill. So make sure and look for it, or ask your server about this. The first time we were on the island we didn't know this and we double-tipped. Your bill will most likely be in CD, but if you ask your server they will tell you what your bill is in USD. Some of the places have this available in their computers, and it will just show up on your ticket, but other places they'll just have to write it in for you. You can use USD but they'll probably give you your change in CD. We always ask for USD change, and if they have it, they usually will do this for you. But for most purchases we used our AMEX or Visa and had no problems with funny fees or anything like that. Now when we visit GC, we take a little bit of cash and our credit cards.

Have a wonderful time. :)

There are these double-decker boats that you'll see (I think they say "Kirk" on the sides), and I believe those are the ship excursions. There's no way I'd want to be on one of those boats. We love CM's because there aren't that many people on the excursion and they really take good care of you. They also have life vests to use should you want one for yourself or your children.

One time we were the only boat at stingray sandbar, and it was amazing. We always book the excursion for a day when there are no ships in port...and we usually have the place to ourselves. However, even when it's crowded, it's really an amazing experience.

I wouldn't book any excursion through the ship for Grand Cayman. It's a safe place and you can do you own thing a lot cheaper. Just grab a cab in the port area and head over to Royal Palms.

Here's their website (the Reef Grill is the name of the restaurant at RP) in case you don't have it.

http://www.reefgrill.com/pages/cruiseinfo.html

Here's Kirk's website. They do all the water rentals at Royal Palms.

http://www.kirkseatours.com/diveshop.shtml

To get to their dock, CM's will take you along the 7MB area, and you'll turn right next to the Courtyard Marriott (which is across the street from Sea Grape-on 7mB). CM's also has a small gift shop, but right next door is a nice little gift shop that I've found all sorts of things at. I thought I'd mention this since we were pinched for time when we were there for our first visit (we were on a cruise ship) and I was happy to see this shop because we didn't have enough time to walk through town looking for souvenirs.

Also, if you order food or drink at Royal Palms, the tip will most likely be added into your bill. So make sure and look for it, or ask your server about this. The first time we were on the island we didn't know this and we double-tipped. Your bill will most likely be in CD, but if you ask your server they will tell you what your bill is in USD. Some of the places have this available in their computers, and it will just show up on your ticket, but other places they'll just have to write it in for you. You can use USD but they'll probably give you your change in CD. We always ask for USD change, and if they have it, they usually will do this for you. But for most purchases we used our AMEX or Visa and had no problems with funny fees or anything like that. Now when we visit GC, we take a little bit of cash and our credit cards.

Have a wonderful time. :)

Thank you so much! All that was so helpful!!

So CM 'headquarters' is right around the corner from Royal Palms?

How far is Royal Palms from the ship?

OH...one more... :D do you know where to find how many ships will be in port at any given time?

Thank you so much! All that was so helpful!!

So CM 'headquarters' is right around the corner from Royal Palms?

How far is Royal Palms from the ship?

OH...one more... :D do you know where to find how many ships will be in port at any given time?

Cruisecal is a great site. You might also try the Cayman Port Authority. From our experiences, it seems like they are always off a ship or two a couple of days a week.

http://www.caymanport.com/schedule.htm

Captain Marvin's is a very short walk from the port area (you head toward 7MB beach and they are on the opposite side of the road from the water-their office windows face the water). I have arthritis in my knee and have no problem making this walk. I'd say maybe 5 minutes and we mosey along at a snails pace. Royal Palms is a bit farther away, and not within walking distance, IMO.

Captain Marvin's may drop you off at Royal Palms on the way back from your excursion. They dropped us at Rackham's (for lunch) and then we just walked back to the port area. You could email Ruth or Joan at CM's and ask them if the driver would just drop you at RP and have the grandparents grab a cab at the port and just meet you there.

http://www.cruisecal.com/portal/MainCalendar/tabid/36/Default.aspx

www.cruisecal.com

Thanks for the above information as well, I'm going to check them out - does anyone know if you book one of the Sintray excursions will we have time to then go to the beach on our own - unfortunately our ship leaves around 4p that day...!

It depends on what time you do the stingray tour. If you do the morning one, the short tour, then I think you'd have time to spend a little time at Royal Palms before heading back to tender. This is a guess...but I'd say the last tender for your cruise will probably be at 3:15, so all you have to do is make sure you're in the line at that time. They won't leave you behind if you are in line.

We like to eat at Breezes (on the balcony) and watch the last of the ships leave port. One time when we were there, the couple next to us was drinking and watching their tender line. When the line was short, they scooted across the street and were the last to get on the tender. I don't know if I'd be that brave, but as long as you're in line, they won't leave you.

We are doing the 8:30am stingray short excursion & it says it is over at 10:45am (or around there). I think we we will have some time to enjoy a little beach time (our ship leaves at 4 as well). We are on the Carnival, Conquest & will be there the 24th of this month. I noticed on cruisecal.com that there will be 4 ships (including ours) on that day...doesn't seem too bad compared to other days. Hopefully we will be in a calm crowd on the stingray tour.

It is nice to know that CM is a short walk! It will be so early (for us ;) ) & we don't want to bother w/ a cab.

Thanx to you all for your help! This website ROCKS!!! :D :D :D

oh....should i bring some kind of floaties or swim rings for my 4yr old son??? I know he will have a life jacket...but do young kids bring those too? I want to make it as enjoyable as possible for him :)

we are hoping to do with Captain Marvin also. Our ship leaves at 2pm though--do you think we will have time for lunch in Margaritaville and still make the tender? That is what we would like to do if possible. But having never been there have no idea how to plan for time.

We are doing the 8:30am stingray short excursion & it says it is over at 10:45am (or around there). I think we we will have some time to enjoy a little beach time (our ship leaves at 4 as well). We are on the Carnival, Conquest & will be there the 24th of this month. I noticed on cruisecal.com that there will be 4 ships (including ours) on that day...doesn't seem too bad compared to other days. Hopefully we will be in a calm crowd on the stingray tour.

It is nice to know that CM is a short walk! It will be so early (for us ;) ) & we don't want to bother w/ a cab.

oh....should i bring some kind of floaties or swim rings for my 4yr old son??? I know he will have a life jacket...but do young kids bring those too? I want to make it as enjoyable as possible for him :)

The one thing you'll want to do is make sure you know what your ship is doing for time. If you sail out of Miami, and it's this time of year, ship time and island time will most likely be the same.

Doesn't the Conquest sail from Galveston?

If so, ship time and island time may be different for you. GC doesn't observe daylight savings so at this time of the year, island time will be the same as the east coast and your ship may be on central time, so it may be an hour behind (8:00 Cayman-7:00 ship time). You can ask this over on the Carnival board and ask someone who's been on the Conquest what happens with the time.

So the 8:30 CM tour, may be 7:30 according to ship time. It's kind of a pain to figure this out, but someone will know. The first time we were visited GC we were on the Triumph and ship time and island time were the same (we sailed out of Miami). But the Conquest may change their clocks to match the island time...but I don't know for sure.

I'd use one of the life jackets that CM's offers (they have adult and child sizes). They are the type you inflate, not the big kinds. I usually don't wear them, but one time we were out it was really windy and choppy and I wore one. You could bring your own floaties and see what works best, but it just depends on where you are on the sandbar and how deep it is. The time we were there and it was below our knees, there was a family that had a 2 or 3 year old and they just had floaties on him. But the water might be deeper and the life jackets might work best.

There's also a platform that runs the length of the back of the ship. Many people who didn't want to get in the water, just sit on this. It's near the water, and they can dangle their feet in the water. The crew will be very accommodating. If you don't want to get in, they'll bring a stingray over for you to see.

I never tire of doing this. It's just amazing. Four ships is good! I just wish they'd limit it daily to five or less.

This is a great place. I would have been lost had I not found this place (prior to our cruise). We're going on a cruise next year and we're going to places we've not been before, so I am in the process of gathering info and trying to figure out what to do. :)

we are hoping to do with Captain Marvin also. Our ship leaves at 2pm though--do you think we will have time for lunch in Margaritaville and still make the tender? That is what we would like to do if possible. But having never been there have no idea how to plan for time.

You also need to figure out what your ship is doing for time. Usually, if you sail out of Miami, ship time and island time will be the same (this time of year). If you're sailing out of Galveston, ship time might be an hour earlier than island time, and that would cut into your time a bit.

So if you're ship does sail out of Galveston CM's tour might be (if the ship doesn't change the clocks).

8:30-10:45 island time

7:30-9:45 ship time

If you sail out of Miami or Tampa, or anywhere in the eastern time zone, ship time and island time will most likely be the same. Someone on the Carnival board (or whatever line you are on board) will have been on the ship you're going to be on and know how they handle the time issue.

You probably will have time, depending on the crowds, to have a quick bite to eat. The last tender for your ship will probably be around 1:15. So even if your ship sails out of the east coast, and you're back at 10:45 or 11:00, you should have time for a quick lunch. Margaritaville is right in the area where the tendering takes place.

As long as you're in the tender line, they won't leave you. So I'd plan on getting in line no later than 12:45 or 1:00 if the last tender leaves at 1:15. I think Carnival uses the new tender area. It's in the same general area as the other two tender areas, but this is a big concrete area that surrounded by a fence. Just make sure you're in the right line. If there are lots of ships, there will be lots of lines. But there will be someone around to guide you.

And everything is very casual in GC. So whatever you wear on your excursion will work fine in the restaurant. We've seen people with wet t-shirts over swimming suits and women wearing their swimming suit top, and a pair of shorts.

If Margaritaville is packed, there's also Breezes (in the building that has "Landmark" on the front). Breezes is on the 2nd and 3rd floor and they do have a small balcony that over looks the water. Paradise Restaurant and the Hard Rock are just past Breezes a bit, but all are in the port area. If you are on Carnival, Margaritaville will be the closest to the tender area for you.

Have a great time. :)

Here's a list of things that were available when we were there. I didn't update this the last time we were there (this was from our 2005 visit), but this will give you an idea of what's on the menu should you go to Breezes or the HR.

The prices listed are Cayman money. I believe it was about 20% more for USD. Also, they will add the tip prior to giving you the bill.

Hard Rock Cafe

Santa Fe Spring Rolls- $8.95

Potato Skins-$8.95

Chicken Tenders-$9.95

Haystack Chicken Salad-$12.95

Onion Rings-$6.95

Twisted Mac & Cheese-$13.95

Blackened Chicken Pasta-$13.95

Jerk Chicken Sandwich-$9.50

BLT-$9.50

Chicken Club-$10.95

Cajun Chicken Sandwich-$10.95

Grilled chicken Fajitas-$18.95

Bacon Cheeseburger-$10.95

BBQ Ribs-$26.25

Grilled Chicken Breast-$13.95

Here's the menu from Breezes...

The bar menu isn't listed, but I remember they offered the following...

Coconut Shrimp (without the rice & peas, shoestring veggies and cornbread-it was $9.95, I believe. With the above items is on the regular menu).

Three small cheeseburgers (I think this came with fries.)

Crab cakes

Chicken Fingers

And a few other things, but I don't remember exactly. The bar menu had smaller portions or fewer side items on the menu. More sandwich/snack type things.

Regular Menu

Mango Greens...$8.25

Big Caesar with bacon 'n' garlic toast...$8.25

Cayman style conch Fritters & spicy Island dipping sauce...$6.25

Half pound, Peel 'n' Eat Shrimp! steamed in "Breezes Brew"...$10.95

Crispy Calamari "Misto" with Cho Cho & Pumpkin...$8.25

Curried Caribbean Samosas with yogurt "Raita" (mild) & firecracker jelly (hot)for dipping....$7.95

Classic Caribbean Crab Cakes...$9.25

House smoked Caribbean BBQ Ribs...$8.25

Cayman Conch Chowder bread Bowl with Bacon Crumbles...$6.25

Fresh Mussels! Kettle-cooked, three kinda way! *Creamy white & White wine*

*Mild Marinara Red* or *Lemon, Saffron & Thyme*...$9.95

Whole Fish Escovitch-Caribbean Yellowtail snapper, Island-style...$16.95

Juicy Jerk Glazed Pork Chop with mango chutney & mash...$15.95 (my middle son had this twice, he said it was really good)

Traditional, delicious West Indian Curry Chicken & Shrimp (mild, Island style) served with white rice * a pappadom crisp!...$13.95

Breezes' Kettle-Cooked Tropical Seafood Stew!-our signature spicy hot, "Fish Tea" with plenty of fish, shellfish & and good things. Real Hot...$11.95

10 oz. grilled sirloin o' beef with jerk butter & mash...$16.95

Today's Still Floppin' Fish-grilled-tomato & sweet pepper sauce, rice & peas, and veggie...$15.75

Red Stripe Dinner Plate-jerk chicken & ribs, rice & peas...$13.95

Tuna Melt-fresh grilled tuna steak "BLT" sandwich with jalapeno jack cheese & slaw...$10.50

Grilled sirloin steak & cheese sandwich...$11.95

Jerk chicken sandwich on "freshly baked bread" with cheese & slaw...$8.95

Rasta Pasta Breezes' jerk chicken & island veggies with our creamy three-cheese sauce tossed with seashell pasta...$11.95

Coconut Shrimp with rum/honey dipping sauce, Island-style rice & peas, veggies, and cornbread....$13.75

As to the floaties or swim rings, I have seen kids using them on the beaches or in the pools. I don't like them myself (former lifeguard here) as I think they are dangerous, but many people do use them.

With our grandchildren we brought their swim vests along with us, which they were used to using.

As to the floaties or swim rings, I have seen kids using them on the beaches or in the pools. I don't like them myself (former lifeguard here) as I think they are dangerous, but many people do use them.

With our grandchildren we brought their swim vests along with us, which they were used to using.

I understand not trusting the swim rings (especially for kids who can't swim) I was going to bring one for my 8yr old daughter (who can swim) to lounge in. My 4yr old son can not swim. I wouldn't put him in just a ring. We have a vest for him that he will be wearing.

Why don't you trust floaties for non-swimming kids? I have some for him that I was going to bring for the pool (life vest for beach). Just curious :D

I can tell from your posts and comments that you are a very careful and watchful parent. My problem with floaties is that too many parents rely on them as a swimming aid for their children and seem to think that wearing them equals safety. I have seen some near-tragedies using various floating devices WHEN an adult is not paying close enough attention.

We live within 20 feet of a deep water lake and have four grandchildren next door. We are hyper-vigilent about water safety; I think my experience as a life guard and swimming instructor makes me extra-sensitive to the dangers of water. I love swimming, it's my favorite sport, and I have taught all the grandkids to swim, (the 4 yo is barely swimming) but I still never take my eyes off of them when they are in the water.

Floaties and swim rings when used correctly, which I'm sure you would do, are ok--an adult needs to be very close by and have their eyes on the child at all times. I prefer using light swim vests (these are not the approved life vests, which most children find very cumbersome for water play, but work well for kids old enough to keep themselves upright in the water), since they cannot come off or deflate. And we still always have an adult present and attentive.

I realize inflatables are much more convenient to take on trips; as long as parents like yourself are extra careful, they should be fine.

I can tell from your posts and comments that you are a very careful and watchful parent. My problem with floaties is that too many parents rely on them as a swimming aid for their children and seem to think that wearing them equals safety. I have seen some near-tragedies using various floating devices WHEN an adult is not paying close enough attention.

We live within 20 feet of a deep water lake and have four grandchildren next door. We are hyper-vigilent about water safety; I think my experience as a life guard and swimming instructor makes me extra-sensitive to the dangers of water. I love swimming, it's my favorite sport, and I have taught all the grandkids to swim, (the 4 yo is barely swimming) but I still never take my eyes off of them when they are in the water.

Floaties and swim rings when used correctly, which I'm sure you would do, are ok--an adult needs to be very close by and have their eyes on the child at all times. I prefer using light swim vests (these are not the approved life vests, which most children find very cumbersome for water play, but work well for kids old enough to keep themselves upright in the water), since they cannot come off or deflate. And we still always have an adult present and attentive.

I realize inflatables are much more convenient to take on trips; as long as parents like yourself are extra careful, they should be fine.

I agree w/ you on the 'depending' on something like that to take care of your children. I am very paranoid when my kids are in water or anywhere else they can be hurt. I was curious if there was something about arm floaties that I hadn't heard. I think that all parents should always have thier eyes on their children when in the water....no matter the age or swimming ability. Thanx Nebr! :)

And everything is very casual in GC. So whatever you wear on your excursion will work fine in the restaurant. We've seen people with wet t-shirts over swimming suits and women wearing their swimming suit top, and a pair of shorts.

Whether wet clothing is acceptable depends a bit on where you are eating. Certainly it is not much of an issue at beach bar places.

Swimwear is generally not acceptable attire for eating in any indoor restaurant in Cayman. That includes even the most casual fast food restaurants. Please take a top and/or shorts to cover up.

Yes, I have seen people politley asked to cover up or leave at Burger King.

Whether wet clothing is acceptable depends a bit on where you are eating. Certainly it is not much of an issue at beach bar places.

Swimwear is generally not acceptable attire for eating in any indoor restaurant in Cayman. That includes even the most casual fast food restaurants. Please take a top and/or shorts to cover up.

Yes, I have seen people politley asked to cover up or leave at Burger King.

Well, that's what we saw. We didn't see anyone without shorts or a skirt, but we did see tons of women with their bathing suit tops showing. It may not be "generally" acceptable, but that what we saw.

And I am talking about seeing this time and time again at Hard Rock and Breezes. Not that I'd wear my suit without a top...but others do. :)

We are booked with Capt Marvin for Tuesday Jan 22nd. I am so excited! I do hope we make tender that day.

We dock at 7:00 am and we are supposed to meet at Capt Marvin's by 9:15 or so.

This is our first time to GC. Will we make that meeting time since all the RCL excursion people will get off the boat first????

When should we get in line to tender that morning???

My Aunt and Uncle just got off the NOS and they had 2 GC Priority tender vouchers left and she gave them too me?? Think they will work???

Is it safe too bring our own video camera along to tape from the boat??

Thanks for any advice.

Michelle

We are booked with Capt Marvin for Tuesday Jan 22nd. I am so excited! I do hope we make tender that day.

We dock at 7:00 am and we are supposed to meet at Capt Marvin's by 9:15 or so.

This is our first time to GC. Will we make that meeting time since all the RCL excursion people will get off the boat first????

When should we get in line to tender that morning???

My Aunt and Uncle just got off the NOS and they had 2 GC Priority tender vouchers left and she gave them too me?? Think they will work???

Is it safe too bring our own video camera along to tape from the boat??

Thanks for any advice.

Michelle

Good questions! I would like to know what time we should start waiting in line to get off the ship too. I didn't think about that. We want the early excursion. Good luck w/ your priority vouchers!! I hope they work for ya :D

About the video cameras etc.. I have done many searches on youtube.com & seen many videos & pictures from the boat, water & under water. I don't have any personal experience, but from ALL the videos I have seen...I don't think it will be a problem. I have heard great things about the DVD they sell you. We might do that. Not sure...depends if my husband is in the mood to be bought ;) lol

Archived