Change from confirmed room to "guarantee" room category?

amcVA

We're on the 3/29/08 Quest sailing and have just learned we can switch from our chosen stateroom original booking, or move to a "guarantee" room category booking and save $400/person. Has anyone booked via the "guarantee" room category before and what was your experience? (As far as I can tell this means you are guaranteed a room in the category of your choosing, but the cruise line will choose the actual stateroom for you closer to the time of the cruise.)

Our only concern is that we'd be put in a room with added noise... near an elevator, above Windows cafe, etc.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

We're on the 3/29/08 Quest sailing and have just learned we can switch from our chosen stateroom original booking, or move to a "guarantee" room category booking and save $400/person. Has anyone booked via the "guarantee" room category before and what was your experience? (As far as I can tell this means you are guaranteed a room in the category of your choosing, but the cruise line will choose the actual stateroom for you closer to the time of the cruise.)

Our only concern is that we'd be put in a room with added noise... near an elevator, above Windows cafe, etc.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Hi Amc !

It depends on what type of room/category you have now. Do you have an inside ? outside ? balcony ? some of the outside cabins can be an obstructed view from the lifeboats, and you could wind up in this area as it is not as desirable as other outside cabins. If assigned there, you might be a very unhappy camper.

Its a tough call, as 800.00 is a lot to save. If location is very important to you, and you are happy with what you have, it may be worth it to stay where you are currently located. If you would like to offer more information about where you are located now, I could probably give you a better answer. Good Luck !

Hi Amc !

It depends on what type of room/category you have now. Do you have an inside ? outside ? balcony ? some of the outside cabins can be an obstructed view from the lifeboats, and you could wind up in this area as it is not as desirable as other outside cabins. If assigned there, you might be a very unhappy camper.

Its a tough call, as 800.00 is a lot to save. If location is very important to you, and you are happy with what you have, it may be worth it to stay where you are currently located. If you would like to offer more information about where you are located now, I could probably give you a better answer. Good Luck !

We're in a veranda room currently, on deck 6, about "four doors down" from the aft elevators/stairs.

Thanks for your help!

--Anne

We're in a veranda room currently, on deck 6, about "four doors down" from the aft elevators/stairs.

Thanks for your help!

--Anne

Hi Anne !

That is a pretty good location. You need to figure out if you want to gamble, and possibly get cabin that is far forward. To me, based on what you have now.... its a 50/50 gamble, as 800.00 is a lot of money to save. I wish I could offer you more assistance, but ultimately, the decision is yours. Good luck !

• 2 months later...

I've done guaranteed cabins twice, but with different cruise lines. First time I got bumped up from "guaranteed inside cabin" on lowest deck to an outside cabin midships on best deck, but with partially obstructed view. Another time we had "guaranteed verandah cabin" but were placed at the back of the ship right over the restaurant where we rolled with the rough seas and were "entertained" by dining room announcements and music each evening. It's location vs. budget. Most cruise lines do not tell you your actualy assignment until a couple of weeks before sailing with this type of deal.

We had Cabin 6053 on the Journey and it was a great location. I was concerned about potential noises from below, but it never happened.

We just got off of the Quest, where we spoke to one couple that got "upgraded" from a midship cabin to a sixth floor aft corner. They were not happy with the engine/propeller noises.

Just be aware that they have the right to put you anywhere and you may not be happy with the result.

Bodger

We had Cabin 6053 on the Journey and it was a great location. I was concerned about potential noises from below, but it never happened.

We just got off of the Quest, where we spoke to one couple that got "upgraded" from a midship cabin to a sixth floor aft corner. They were not happy with the engine/propeller noises.

Just be aware that they have the right to put you anywhere and you may not be happy with the result.

Bodger

Wow! upgraded to a PH and was not happy?:eek:

Hi Anne,

We have taken a guarantee - because it was the only way we could get a balcony cabin. We wound up far forward above the show lounge. We could hear them practicing in the late afternnoon/early evening. It was not ideal but it wasn't a big deal either. Of course nobody was offering us $800 to take a guarantee.

The only "undesirable" cabins on these ships are the connecting cabins because some of them have seals that should be replaced. We had to change cabins because we could hear everything going on next door.

Why not think about what you could do with $800. If it is meaningful to you, take the money and hope for the best. If not, stay with what you have. Besides, all the wonderful people you've met on the roll call :) are going to keep you so busy you won't be spending much time in the cabin.

See you soon.

Hi Anne,

We have taken a guarantee - because it was the only way we could get a balcony cabin. We wound up far forward above the show lounge. We could hear them practicing in the late afternnoon/early evening. It was not ideal but it wasn't a big deal either. Of course nobody was offering us $800 to take a guarantee.

The only "undesirable" cabins on these ships are the connecting cabins because some of them have seals that should be replaced. We had to change cabins because we could hear everything going on next door.

Why not think about what you could do with $800. If it is meaningful to you, take the money and hope for the best. If not, stay with what you have. Besides, all the wonderful people you've met on the roll call :) are going to keep you so busy you won't be spending much time in the cabin.

See you soon.

We did end up taking the guarantee, and our room assignment is fine! Still on the sixth floor, a bit more forward than midship. Not in a room that connects with another. :)

From looking at the ship plans, I think we are above one of the entrances to the Cabaret Lounge. We travel with a white noise sound machine, so I'm not worried about any potential noise from below if we're trying to sleep. So, in all, we're VERY glad we took the guarantee and really looking forward to the trip!

Just wondering about the 8th floor, we are forward, about 4 back from the elevator 8014. I thought that was better than the 7th floor - but maybe mid-ship is better? Any advice would be appreciated. I think they still have some avialability. We are going on the Journey 6/25/08 through the Baltics for 12 days. Thanks, Catherine

Just wondering about the 8th floor, we are forward, about 4 back from the elevator 8014. I thought that was better than the 7th floor - but maybe mid-ship is better? Any advice would be appreciated. I think they still have some avialability. We are going on the Journey 6/25/08 through the Baltics for 12 days. Thanks, Catherine
We were on the 8th deck, 8024, more near midships a bit. The 8th we didn't think was better, in retrospect, as we'd been on 7 on sister-ship Nautica (Oceania) before, and as all the 8th deck was penthouses (SS on Quest) we thought it should be better. But the side to side roll was worse up on the upper decks, front to back was the same. We ran into some very heavy seas from a tropical storm, and it usually doesn't bother us, but DH actually got just a bit queasy during the 36+ hrs we were tossed around like pinballs in a game. Lower decks showed far less roll as we traversed them.

I still may stick with my room, because there is not much above me I hope. Near the entrance to the spa. My travel partner is hoping to smoke so that may be possible in such a location.... or maybe not if they are strict about it. I'll see what they have on the 7th floor, but it's likely the mid-ships are sold out. Here I had the same thought as you, near the suits would be best!

I still may stick with my room, because there is not much above me I hope. Near the entrance to the spa. My travel partner is hoping to smoke so that may be possible in such a location.... or maybe not if they are strict about it. I'll see what they have on the 7th floor, but it's likely the mid-ships are sold out. Here I had the same thought as you, near the suits would be best!

If you wished to be removed from the ship at the next port...that has happened to smokers!...Go up above your cabin to the pool deck and right there is the designated smoking area. Azamara has been VERY strict with their very limited smoking areas, for which all of us non-smokers are thankful. For one the rooms don't reek of smoke. Don't even think of your balcony, to smoke on. Besides the smell...it is a very great fire hazard...ask those Princess passengers after a fire started by a smoker on a balcony!!!:eek:

If you wished to be removed from the ship at the next port...that has happened to smokers!...Go up above your cabin to the pool deck and right there is the designated smoking area. Azamara has been VERY strict with their very limited smoking areas' date=' for which all of us non-smokers are thankful. For one the rooms don't reek of smoke. Don't even think of your balcony, to smoke on. Besides the smell...it is a very great fire hazard...ask those Princess passengers after a fire started by a smoker on a balcony!!!:eek:[/quote']

Just wanted to second all of what's said above and mention that I certainly would not hesitate to contact a crew member if someone was smoking on a balcony near mine and I hope others would/will do the same. Those of us with asthma, sensitive sniffers, and especially those on oxygen would have no choice.

I was wondering if you find out prior to sailing what your cabin number is if you have a guaranteed cabin. If you can I would appreciate a quicky inservice on how to access it and if not I will wait for the day we sail and be suprised. Thank you

I was wondering if you find out prior to sailing what your cabin number is if you have a guaranteed cabin. If you can I would appreciate a quicky inservice on how to access it and if not I will wait for the day we sail and be suprised. Thank you

I think this varies from reservation to reservation, but we are on the March 29 Quest sailing and we received our room assignment at the very end of January. I believe some others on my sailing who are also guarantees have still not received their room assignments. I have a feeling later is better... Better chance of being upgraded, I think!

Being upgraded on Quest or Journey only means location..all staterooms with the exception of inside , Sky Suites and Penthouses are exactly the same..I would go for a definite cabin of my choice if I had the opportunity.

Jan

Jan,

I know you know, but I'm sure you've just forgotten, that the outside cabins are quite different in their configuration. Oceanviews on deck 3 have portholes, on deck 4 they're like balcony cabins minus the balcony, on deck 6 they're obstructed views and have a different layout (running with the length of the ship rather than at 90 degrees. There are also 4 outside cabins (2 on deck 6 and 2 on deck 7) that are bigger than the others. The downside of these is that they are far forward and the occupants may be bothered by the pitching of the ship in rough weather. You may also be aware of the raising and lowering of the anchor.

Hope this helps Rue's Ma.

Jan,

I know you know, but I'm sure you've just forgotten, that the outside cabins are quite different in their configuration. Oceanviews on deck 3 have portholes, on deck 4 they're like balcony cabins minus the balcony, on deck 6 they're obstructed views and have a different layout (running with the length of the ship rather than at 90 degrees. There are also 4 outside cabins (2 on deck 6 and 2 on deck 7) that are bigger than the others. The downside of these is that they are far forward and the occupants may be bothered by the pitching of the ship in rough weather. You may also be aware of the raising and lowering of the anchor.

I also forgot those pesky OV cabins which are not the same at all, and would not wish to be in one as they are smaller and no seating area. Porthole, window or veranda or inside only changes the placement of the furnishings, not so much the dimensions and the actual furnishings themselves. We've actually sailed inside, ocean view and twice balcony, and can state that there IS very little difference in what you get in the cabins, in all but SS and above, and those 4 abovementioned OV cabins at the front of the ship which I've never seen the inside of. And those baths are all the same. Actually was pleasently surprised this last trip as I'd forgotten that the bathrooms are handy for people with knee problems...those toilets are high-rise.:rolleyes:

Jan,

I do know..but every cabiin is exactly the same size inside (with the exception of 6004, 6005 7006,7007) and SOMETIMES on these small ships an upgrade is really a downgrade (as the cabin is not in as good a location.

It is VERY seldom you are upgraded from an outside to a balcony..it is usually balcony to balcony and window to window..

Hope this is fairly clear..sounds like mud to me..LOL

Jan

I don't recommend a guarantee booking on Azamara because these ships are small and cabins in good locations are in demand. Your chances of getting a poorly located cabin is greater. Those that quote their guarantee booking scores were on larger ships. It's the old law of supply and demand. Less supply for those that demand good locations. Location can make or break a vacation. Happy Sailing!

We sailed an NCL Texaribbean Cruise in an inside cabin which was UNDOUBTEDLY the smallest cabin ever placed on a cruise ship!!!!

Yes, we have been on a sailing (faster under sail than with motors) ship.

Hi Anne,

See you soon.

TGG,

There are more undesirable cabins on the R ships than just connecting cabins..you need someone who knows the layout of the ships..

Jan

Archived