hiring tour guides on the dock

ldog

This question came up on another thread and I want the answer as well. Is it easy to hire a local driver/guide at the dock?

I would be interested in doing this in some ports as I'm not as organised as I'd like to be for this trip. As language won't be a problem (guess they'll understand Canajun eh?) I'd think it a viable option. What is the experience of others? Prices would be appreciated.

We did this in Italy and Mexico with no problems.

We just did a NZ/Oz cruise. We used private tour operators in Tauranga, Napier, Wellington, Dunedin and Burnie, Tasmania. All were prearranged. Only in Tauranga were there local tour operators on the pier you could walk up to. We went independent in Christchurch, Melbourne and Sydney. I don't think there were any local tours available on the pier.

You need to plan ahead or use ShoreX

Hi, eh2zed!

We will be visiting these 2 cities in Oct. 08 on the Dawn Princess. I would really appreciate any suggestions you could give regarding "must-sees". (We'll only be in each city for the day--I think 8AM to 5 or 6 PM. & would be open to non-ship excursions.)

Thanks!

konatyme

Hi Eh2zed,

We are sailing on the Sapphire Princess and would to do all of our excursions private also. Is it possible for your to post your recommended tour operators since we aren't familiar with any at the current time?

I am almost finished planning all of our private tours for our trip in less than two weeks :D I have spent HUGE amounts of time researching and will be more than happy to post a detailed review when we return including the tour operators that we use. Personally I have found too few complete reviews for this itinerary and would like to encourage more people to write theirs when they return to help others. There are a number of locals on these boards that have been sooo helpful and their guidance and iformation have been invaluable - thank you Aussies & Kiwis!!

One thing I would like to know and maybe should start a new thread - unless I can get an answer here - What would tipping policies be for individual driver and guide? I realize this can be a personal preference, but is there some typical standard we can go by - i.e. in restaurants in the US, it is customary to tip between 15-20%. Is there some standard for private guides??

I am almost finished planning all of our private tours for our trip in less than two weeks :D I have spent HUGE amounts of time researching and will be more than happy to post a detailed review when we return including the tour operators that we use. Personally I have found too few complete reviews for this itinerary and would like to encourage more people to write theirs when they return to help others. There are a number of locals on these boards that have been sooo helpful and their guidance and iformation have been invaluable - thank you Aussies & Kiwis!!

One thing I would like to know and maybe should start a new thread - unless I can get an answer here - What would tipping policies be for individual driver and guide? I realize this can be a personal preference, but is there some typical standard we can go by - i.e. in restaurants in the US, it is customary to tip between 15-20%. Is there some standard for private guides??

hi wblevin we are doing a nz-aussie cruise in april so a review of your cruise and what you did in the ports would be great. as for the tipping bit it isent customary to tip in aussie so im sure any sort of tip would be welcomed by the operaters. what ship will you be cruising on.

What would tipping policies be for individual driver and guide? I realize this can be a personal preference, but is there some typical standard we can go by - i.e. in restaurants in the US, it is customary to tip between 15-20%. Is there some standard for private guides??

If you were happy you could probably give the driver an extra $10 - $20. Tipping is not customary here, although when they hear your accent that might raise their expectations. I have a policy with taxi drivers - if they don't scare me I will give them a SMALL tip ie: round up to the next $5 or $10 (so its never more than $5). If they're a crappy driver they get nothing at all.

wblevin,

I would love to see your info/review as well. This is our first cruise & I want to be sure we see as much as possible on shore excursions, but don't necessarily want to do the ones through the ship.

Thanks!

konatyme

Thank you Mochuck and Wombat - good to at least know what is expected. We do tend to tip accordingly - appreciate the guidance.

We (5 of us from 43-57) are on the Celebrity Mercury from Sydney to Auckland boarding 1/20. I have 4 private tours booked, one stop that we plan to rent a stationwagon, and two stops that, after considerable research, we plan to do on our own.

FYI - the one thing I am very disappointed about is that both Segway tours are totally booked when we are in Wellington. I did my research too late and am paying the price - would be a perfect place for the Segways. If any of you are adventurous, they are very easy to learn (we took a tour in Washington, DC last spring - and absolutely loved them) - they give you a half hour for practice, but I can promise you, by the end of the tour you will be wanting to book another tour! ;) Hope this link works. They also have them in Christchurch, but there is a lot of other things to do there - not sure we will have the time to squeeze them in there. Think pricing was $90 NZ for a 2 hour tour and the 1/2 hour practice.

http://www.bodyelectric.co.nz/tours.htm

Hi Eh2zed,

We are sailing on the Sapphire Princess and would to do all of our excursions private also. Is it possible for your to post your recommended tour operators since we aren't familiar with any at the current time?

In Tauranga we used Kevin Church of Carlton Tours www.carltontours.co.nz

In Napier it was John Scanlon of Hawkes Bay Scenic Tours www.hbscenictours.co.nz

In Wellington we used Wellington Rover www.wellingtonrover.co.nz

In Dunedin it was Chris Roberts at Back to Nature Tours www.backtonaturetours.co.nz

We were well pleased with them all. Good luck.

Thank you for your kind information, it is proving very helpful especially for firstimers like my husband and I. We will be on the Princess Sapphire this coming March and will visit all the ports you mention. We are very independent people but would like to arrange a private tour at one of the ports of call.

In Napier it was John Scanlon of Hawkes Bay Scenic Tours www.hbscenictours.co.nz

In Dunedin it was Chris Roberts at Back to Nature Tours www.backtonaturetours.co.nz

I was wondering which tour you would recommend most? We would really enjoy an entertaining guide with good knowledge so as the tour is both informative and relaxed. We are a group of 8 people that includes two children. I know it is probably a very hard question to ask but it seems you have a bit of experience with regards cruising and your thoughts would be great.:)

Thank you for your kind information, it is proving very helpful especially for firstimers like my husband and I. We will be on the Princess Sapphire this coming March and will visit all the ports you mention. We are very independent people but would like to arrange a private tour at one of the ports of call.

I was wondering which tour you would recommend most? We would really enjoy an entertaining guide with good knowledge so as the tour is both informative and relaxed. We are a group of 8 people that includes two children. I know it is probably a very hard question to ask but it seems you have a bit of experience with regards cruising and your thoughts would be great.:)

Melodicgal, there were all good and they will tailor it to your preferences. I think we would choose the Dunedin tour as our favourite; not the cheapest but most comprehensive. I would pick the one you like the itinerary best.

Good luck.

Interesting - I have all different tour guides planned - I now got an itinerary set for all the days - including pricing, etc. It's three pages - maybe too long for the borads here.

johnhowe@froggy.com.au in Melbourne

rjonn@ozemail.com.au - website http://www.tasmaniandaytours.com.au in Hobart

ArthursTours@xtra.com.nz in Dunedin (he looks very "colorful" - anticipating a jolly tour with him

doncst@clear.net.nz in Christchurch

www.mctours.co.nz in Taraunga

www.exclusivelyAuckland.co.nz in Auckland

Note = I did not book private tours in Hobart or Christchurch.

Hope this helps - again, will be leaving next Thursday, so cannot vouch for any of these personally at this time.

Thanks for you advice Ehzed,

I have booked with Back to Nature Tours for my visit to Dunedin:). The tour looks fantastic and I think the children will really enjoy the wildlife, especially the Yellow faced penguins. My husband and I have green fingers so I'm looking forward to learning about New Zealands plants, we have one in the garden actually! Thanks again Ehzed

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

We returned Jan. 6 to 20 on the Mercury and we did not see any tour guides to hire at the docks however there were taxis that would take you to where you wanted to go. After alot of research I booked and would highly recommend to book ahead and than you have no stress, you just walk off the ship and your guide is there. The only tour we booked with the cruise ship was cancelled so late that my group of 9 could not get any other tours so we wasted l day out of 3 in Australia. The following tours and guides were excellent

Robbie Owen at Nature Connection Tours [mailto:natureconn@xtra.co.nz]

After every trip we take a vote from our group of 9 travelling companions and he was voted the best knowledgable and friendly tour guide and his tour to Tauranga Tour to see the boiling muds and the active volcano was the best. We also loved "Natures Wonder" in Dunedin, it was a fantastic fun tour to see the yellow eyed penquins and fur seals but the ride through the terrain on a 4 wheel vehicle was exciting and superior to none. Also we took a tour by a 10 passenger vehicle to Arthurs Pass out of Christchurch and it was great with Discovery Travel info@discoverytravel.co.nz

and our driver was extremely knowledgable. Hope this helps

Leg

Archived