1st Time New Yorker in Need of HELP...

Johnsonclan

We are sailing the CB in July and have many questions. I'm trying to determine the best plan. We would like to spend a couple of days in NY pre-cruise, probably flying into JFK 3 days prior to embarkation. What would be our best plan, stay near JFK and commute daily to the downtown/Manhattan area or spend the extra bucks to stay in a hotel in the Manhattan area? I'm watching both this and betterbidding.com for help on this matter. What areas should we stay away from or are dangerous. I keep hearing NY is the safest large city in the U.S., but there still must be areas that are just not the best for my family and I to be walking around in at night.

How about location to subway/train service?

What is the best way to get from JFK to our hotel?

Thanks in advance to all you friendly New Yorkers, I hear there are many of you...

We are sailing the CB in July and have many questions. I'm trying to determine the best plan. We would like to spend a couple of days in NY pre-cruise, probably flying into JFK 3 days prior to embarkation. What would be our best plan, stay near JFK and commute daily to the downtown/Manhattan area or spend the extra bucks to stay in a hotel in the Manhattan area? I'm watching both this and betterbidding.com for help on this matter. What areas should we stay away from or are dangerous. I keep hearing NY is the safest large city in the U.S., but there still must be areas that are just not the best for my family and I to be walking around in at night.

Stay in Manhattan. Staying near JFK is just too far from Manhattan (and your cruise ship, which should leave from Brooklyn). I would stay in near Times Square. It is very safe there. The 42nd St. subway station is right there and serves much of Manhattan.

The tourist areas in Manhattan are very safe - there are not a lot of places that aren't safe in Manhattan.

What is the best way to get from JFK to our hotel?

A cab. They are pretty much lined up when you get out of the airline terminal.

BTW- this is the best thread on the boards with suggestions on where to stay in Times Square as well as things to do:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=579200

Definitely stay in Manhattan. JFK is simply too far away, plus you'll miss the wonder of sleeping in the city with all that it offers.

I lived in Manhattan for a few years and have visited often, most recently just before Thanksgiving. I used Priceline in November, indicated a Midtown hotel location and bid $125 (I think, maybe a wee bit more). I was given the Wellington which turned out to be a great location for Midtown as it's at 7th and 55th with a subway station right at the corner.

You have some time so I recommend doing a lot of research about what you want to see and then choose a hotel or at least a location accordingly.

What areas should we stay away from or are dangerous.

The area around JFK... Seriously, you should bite the bullet and stay in Manhattan. You will be pleasantly surprised at how safe you will be walking around both day and night.

The area around JFK... Seriously, you should bite the bullet and stay in Manhattan. You will be pleasantly surprised at how safe you will be walking around both day and night.

Amen to that. Just remember if you're on a subway car or walking on a street, and there is only one other person you probably need to move elsewhere. But that's not likely to happen unless you're traveling late at night. I feel as safe in New York as anywhere.

look at http://www.nycvisit.com/ and stay in Manhattan...take a cab from the airport to Manhattan its price fixed at $45.00 plus toll and tip per cab figure $55-60.

How many people will fit in one cab? I know this sounds stupid, but we just don't do cabs in Phoenix. There will be 2 adults and 2 teenagers, plus luggage for a 9 day cruise. Can we all fit in one cab?

There will be 2 adults and 2 teenagers, plus luggage for a 9 day cruise. Can we all fit in one cab?

Yes, if you get one of the mini-van cabs. Phoenix, by the way, had a far higher murder rate than New York City in 2003 according to FBI statistics, and things here have gotten better since. Take a look at cityrating.com. Come and enjoy.

Yes, if you get one of the mini-van cabs. Phoenix, by the way, had a far higher murder rate than New York City in 2003 according to FBI statistics, and things here have gotten better since. Take a look at cityrating.com. Come and enjoy.

How do the cabs charge? Is it per person, a set amount per mile or as noted above a fixed rate from the airport? Do the mini-van cabs cost more than the regular car type cabs?

By the way New Yorkers, I'm in no way questioning the safety of your city as compared to Phoenix or any other city. But, you must agree that every city has it's safe and not so safe areas. Never having been to NY, I have NO clue where those areas may be. I've heard much more positive than negative about your city and we are totally looking forward to our visit.

How do the cabs charge? Is it per person, a set amount per mile or as noted above a fixed rate from the airport? Do the mini-van cabs cost more than the regular car type cabs?

By the way New Yorkers, I'm in no way questioning the safety of your city as compared to Phoenix or any other city. But, you must agree that every city has it's safe and not so safe areas. Never having been to NY, I have NO clue where those areas may be. I've heard much more positive than negative about your city and we are totally looking forward to our visit.

Yellow Cabs charge per cab not per person. But you need to understand something there are two types of what most people call cabs. Yellow cabs are licensed to pick up street hails or from Taxi stands without making prearrangement. You stick out you hand and they stop. What most people call "cabs" outside NY City are called car services(or limo services). You call them and they pick you up for a set fee. Sometimes more sometimes less than a yellow cabs meter will charge. The Yellow cabs charge 2.50 for the first 1/5 of a mile and .40 cents thereafter per 1/5 of a mile or one minute of waiting time(when the cab is moving less than a certain number of miles)...there is also a night charge of .50 per ride(not per rider) and a rush hour surcharge of 1.00 per ride. A 15-20% tip is expected plus tolls.

BTW at the airports there are paid taxi dispatchers that will assist in getting you the right sized cab....

here is all the fare info http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/passenger/taxicab_rate.shtml Yellow cabs must take you any place within NYCity and to Newark Airport. Whether its a van yellow cab or a car they charge the same. A van can carry up to 5 people and luggage a car is licensed for 4 people and luggage. For a cruise you may wind up sticking some luggage in the front seat but most cabs will work it out(there is no extra charge for luggage but tip accordingly) In Manhattan during the day there is no place that is unsafe. I would say the same about Staten Island and Queens, Brooklyn and The Bronx. At night I would stay away from deserted streets, the same as any big City but the chance a tourist will go to someplace deserted is pretty small.

The subway is perfectly safe.

smeyer418,

So would you recommend a Taxi or a Limo? We are probably going to use Priceline to book a hotel somewhere in the Midtown area. How about getting back to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal, what would you suggest? Any other suggestions you have for a family of 4 on their first visit to NY?

Thank you for all your help...

smeyer418,

So would you recommend a Taxi or a Limo? We are probably going to use Priceline to book a hotel somewhere in the Midtown area. How about getting back to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal, what would you suggest? Any other suggestions you have for a family of 4 on their first visit to NY?

Use a taxi, but you would need a mini-van taxi. And take a cab to the Brooklyn pier - ask your hotel to call one for you and tell them it needs to be a mini-van a well.

Use the link I gave you in the first post to that thread that has just about all the info you could want on things to see and do in NY. It is a geat thread.

smeyer418,

Hi I am pretty sure I actually know where Gilbert is....

in any case from the Airport I would use a limo. I would call Arecibo ...7187836465. A cab from the Hotel will be annoying because they don't want to go to Brooklyn and many have no idea where the Brooklyn cruise terminal is.

You'll should love NY is different from Az.

Musts

Metropolitan Museum of Art

World Trade Center Site

The Museum of Native Americans- I forget if it is still called the American Indian Museum(at south Ferry)in the old Customs Building.

Empire State Building

Macy's(herald square- discount for out of town visitors available at the courtesy desk on the Mezzanine)

a broadway play(discount tickets available at Playbill club at http://www.playbill.com)

the subway(really best way to get around during the day-non-rush hour)

Papaya King for Lunch at 8th street and 6th avenue(I hope you like Hot dogs)....

Bring Money NYC is expensive....

I hate to muddy the waters, but nobody has told Johnson to be wary of gypsy cabs. It's been so long since I lived in the city that I don't feel qualified to do it.

Thing of the past. No longer an issue. Gypsy cabs were licensed limos who try to pick people up on the street(street hails) primarily in the outer boros now that the yellow cabs go to the outer boros it isn't an issue and since every one has a cell phone they just call the local car service to pick them up.

There are limos who try to pick people up at the airport and in front of hotels like the yellow cabs...just set the price first and beware they are generally over charging you and it is illegal.

The exception to this is at the Brooklyn Cruise terminal where the terminal has contracted with a car service(limo) to wait and pick people up for just about twice what Arecibo will charge and twice what a cab meter will be.

Use a taxi, but you would need a mini-van taxi. And take a cab to the Brooklyn pier - ask your hotel to call one for you and tell them it needs to be a mini-van a well.

At the airport there will be a line of cabs some of them will be Vans normally during the day there is a dispatcher there just tell them you want a van cab and they will work it out or just walk down the line and take one in your turn of course. Hotels don't call cabs. They will call you a limo or car service, Generally you pay extra for this as it is a "favored" limo or car service(how do you think they become favored)...call you own or go hail a cab yourself or have the doorman hail one for you(tip the doorman a couple of bucks for getting you the Van cab)....I would still use Arecibo as they really do know where Red Hook is....

Thing of the past. No longer an issue. Gypsy cabs were licensed limos who try to pick people up on the street(street hails) primarily in the outer boros now that the yellow cabs go to the outer boros it isn't an issue and since every one has a cell phone they just call the local car service to pick them up.

There are limos who try to pick people up at the airport and in front of hotels like the yellow cabs...just set the price first and beware they are generally over charging you and it is illegal.

The exception to this is at the Brooklyn Cruise terminal where the terminal has contracted with a car service(limo) to wait and pick people up for just about twice what Arecibo will charge and twice what a cab meter will be.

Well, you can tell I haven't lived in New York for a while. They used to be everywhere, and I had a friend get taken for more than one kind of ride by a gypsy cab driver when she came to visit me.

Well, you can tell I haven't lived in New York for a while. They used to be everywhere, and I had a friend get taken for more than one kind of ride by a gypsy cab driver when she came to visit me.

TLC(NYCity's Taxi and Limousine Commission- http://www.nyc.gov/tlc) enforcement helped but it hasn't been an issue in more than 10 years. No TLC licensee wants to spend a day at a hearing....which they will lose too. Big fines and they sometimes seize the car as well....and the base stations of the car services are licensees as are the cars....

Now if you want to discuss dollar vans.....they do exist in the outer boros as well, still.

Hi I am pretty sure I actually know where Gilbert is....

in any case from the Airport I would use a limo. I would call Arecibo ...7187836465. A cab from the Hotel will be annoying because they don't want to go to Brooklyn and many have no idea where the Brooklyn cruise terminal is.

So you would recommend we call Arecibo upon arrival & he/they will arrange a place to meet them at JFK?

How does Arecibo compare price wise to a taxi?

How about from our hotel to the cruise terminal? Same deal, you would recommend Arecibo? Do they have a vehicle that can take 6 people and luggage? Our oldest daughter and son-in-law will be joining us for the last day & the cruise.

So you would recommend we call Arecibo upon arrival & he/they will arrange a place to meet them at JFK?

How does Arecibo compare price wise to a taxi?

How about from our hotel to the cruise terminal? Same deal, you would recommend Arecibo? Do they have a vehicle that can take 6 people and luggage? Our oldest daughter and son-in-law will be joining us for the last day & the cruise.

1. I would call them before you take off, and they will work it out for you and probably tell you to call when you get your luggage and they will either be inside to help or meet you outside where the limo's pick people up.

2. For some rides Arecibo is cheaper and sometimes its slighty more expensive. It depends. Sometimes in traffic the cab meter just keeps clicking away. Arecibo is a set fee.

3. Call Arecibo about a half hour before you are ready to leave and they will be there. For 6 people you need a stretch limo. They cost more sometimes more than 2 regular cars......

Don't want to hijack the thread, but I have a question for smeyer, or anyone else. Are the prices for broadway tickets at TKTS better than I will find on the Playbill site? I realize I will have no control over what shows are available at any given day or time at TKTS, and there are some good deals now through Playbill for shows next week.

Should I book through Playbill, or would I find an even lower price at TKTS if the shows I want are available?

Bonnie

Don't want to hijack the thread, but I have a question for smeyer, or anyone else. Are the prices for broadway tickets at TKTS better than I will find on the Playbill site? I realize I will have no control over what shows are available at any given day or time at TKTS, and there are some good deals now through Playbill for shows next week.

Should I book through Playbill, or would I find an even lower price at TKTS if the shows I want are available?

Bonnie

The prices at TKTS are either 1/4 or 1/2 off the face of the ticket. Playbill is normal between 1/3 to 40% off---rarely is it 50%. January is a traditionally slow month on Broadway, the chances are that if its on Playbill it will PROBABLY be at TKTS but personally I would rather avoid the lines which can be very long(there is a second TKTS in the Southstreet seaport area that has almost no lines)...if there is show I want to see and there is a good Playbill offer....

Archived