Tell me more about lifou

Can u guys tell me a bit more about Lifou? I was really looking forward to it but there doesnt seem much there from what i have read on here. Is there no snorkeling there? (damn i had my army rations all packed) R the tours worth it or should u just wander around like a tourist:D

Icy

hi, ive been to Lifou twice now and i love it there.I dont know what the tours are like because all i have done is the snorkelling.and that was great, we took all our own snorkelling gear, cheers sassycatz :)

Lifou is lovely, and the snorkelling in particular is great. I would suggest you don't book a tour. If you want to look around you can buy a tour from the local people (A$15pp). Close to where you get off the tender there is a large thatched-roof hut where a few locals will have items for sale. There are only a few items for sale - not like at some other islands (Mystery or Champagne Bay). About 10m further from the water there is a tiny thatched-roof hut where the locals sell the tours. The tours are in cars and people-movers and go to the church, the village and the chief's hut. A stop is made near the water where there is a good view across to the ship. The trip is well worth $15.

You can walk up to the church on a headland overlooking the ship. This is in the same direction as the snorkelling beach, and is worth doing.

Enjoy your day on Lifou and enjoy your cruise.

Lifou is beautiful.

Good snorkelling at Jinek (maybe Junik?) Bay, walking distance from where the ships tenders put you ashore - follow the signs it's easy to find.

We did the Cliffs of Jokin tour, which was good, as long as you're up to climbing the 200+ stairs down and back - the view at the bottom is worth it though.

Hi Icy, Lifou is beautiful. We've been there about 5 times. We've done the cliffs of jokin twice (with kids the first time and friends who had never cruised before) which is beautiful. The 200 steps is well worth it. On our first cruise it was a beautiful day and the guy that took us down the steps was the first to jump into the water from one of the rocks at the bottom of the steps, then others followed. People were swimming, it's a beautiful place. When we went last year it was raining but still a beautiful spot. We have also done the tour to Luecila beach which is a beautiful swimming spot.

for the snorkelling just follow the crowd, this too is a beautiful spot.

Kerri

Can u guys tell me a bit more about Lifou? I was really looking forward to it but there doesnt seem much there from what i have read on here. Is there no snorkeling there? (damn i had my army rations all packed) R the tours worth it or should u just wander around like a tourist:D

Icy

Was there yesterday Jen, and while we had a scorching hot day, we enjoyed it. Janek Bay was nice for a swim \ snorkel. Remind me for more info when we get back

2000750373240147098_rs.jpg

HI Jen. We have stopped at Lifou several times.There is a small very old church on the clifftop overlooking the bay which is worth the short walk up from the whalf. The view of the ship and surrounding area is great for photos.There is also another church and display area off to the right of the jetty.The snorkeling is very good over in the next bay about 10 mins easy walk and the water is much clearer if you go out a little way out from the other swimmers.Also whilst we were there last time several large turtles were surfacing near the ship.Have a great cruise.Brian

I am so glad I found this site:) Good question, icemaiden. Same sort of info I was looking for too, because I haven't been to Lifou either and was wondering if the shore tours were any good. Might 'splash out' and invest in my own snorkelling gear, so thanks for the great answers gang:)

Good idea to buy you own snorkelling gear. It costs $40 to hire on the ship (plus $20 security deposit). For around that price you can buy your own good quality set and then have it for future trips also.:)

Good idea to buy you own snorkelling gear. It costs $40 to hire on the ship (plus $20 security deposit). For around that price you can buy your own good quality set and then have it for future trips also.:)

I bought my own several years ago because i have small feet and have difficulty getting flippers to fit and such and certinly glad i did I think i have my money back already. I invested in a very good set from the dive shop and can say it is well worth it.

I've only been to Lifou once, WAY back in 2001 and still think the snorkelling there is the best i've done!

We didn't do a tour back then either, just did our own thing, but found we got a little ripped off by the locals. :(

Firstly we hired 2 bikes and had to take them back for replacements because the seats kept falling down and the peddles wouldn't turn properly. The 2nd lot were just as bad though so we gave it up as a bad joke :p

Then we hired a canoe and the guy told us he didn't have change and he'd give it to us when we brought back the canoe. He then gave us a paddle with one broken end :eek: And when we returned, he was nowhere to be seen with our change either ;)

Even though we felt a bit ripped off we still enjoyed the island and it's gorgeous scenery! It really is a beautiful place!!

Archived