Bonine or Sea Bands?

WedNoMor

Just curious what the "experts" say...! I've taken one cruise on Disney before and never took my bands off. Someone in the group dissed on the idea as foolish and spent an entire evening alone in his cabin regretting that decision...!

This time I'm taking a much wiser boyfriend (younger, cuter, more athletic, has a great job...whatever) and I'm buying his bands...! Are we the only ones?

We go for the big guns, we get prescription scopalamine patches. They work but they have their drawbacks.

very dry mouth you are very thirsty.

dialated pupils, you will need to wear sunglasses.

But, didn't get sick and we will take again in August.

thank-you and thanx...! Didn't know there was a script. Usually I do the "big guns" for the flight and drool on my BF...! If Bonine is not a drowsy - yes you can mix it with booze kinda drug - then it's for me too...!

I got back from my first cruise 2 weeks ago - the seas were somewhat rough, especially in the first few days (and our room was at the back of the ship), but I started taking Bonine the morning we got on the ship, and took it every morning, and luckily I didn't get sick. There was one night that was so bad I thought I'd fall out of bed, so I wore my sea-bands that night and took them off in the morning.

Personally I found the seabands a bit uncomfortable, but I have very sensitive skin... I had red indents which later turned to red lumps on the insides of my wrists for the rest of the day. But they seemed to serve their purpose (well either the bands helped, the bonine helped, or I wasn't going to get sick anyway) for the short time I wore them!

My first time cruiser friend who came with us last Nov on the Explorer was feeling a little seasick by the 2nd day so she ask the purser if they gave away pills and they gave her Bonine - so it must be good. She took them and had no problems afterwards. I depend on Bonines for plane rides too - Corkey

I have used both the sea bands and bonine (and meclazine). I like the sea bands, and take them in my camera bag and make up bag everywhere I go. They can be taken off for awhile, and put back on if they cause discomfort and indentions. They work quickly if you begin to "feel" sick. They are good for any tender ship rocking, too. Most medications made me sleepy. Also, if you DO get really sick, eat green apples, crackers and drink gingerale. A nurse who was our room steward when three in our cabin were very sick told us this. It worked, and we were out and about the following day. We were also given meclazine by ship's guest relations desk. The majority of the cruisers were sick that cruise.

Can one buy these over the counter at any drug store?

Thanks

If you are talking about the sea bands, yes......kmart, walmart, etc in the pharmacy dept. They come in a small plastic case(about 2"X3"), with directions for use. They are washable, and reusable.....If you don't find them, just ask for assisstance. They should be with the dramamine, bonine, etc. They are elastic bands that slip over your wrists with a hard plastic part for the pressure points in your wrists.

I LOVE the Bonaine...AND as far as i'm concerned it works quickly too...I don't take it daily, only if the seas are rough...and w/in 30-45mins i'm good to go!!! Plus you can drink :D and not feel woozy...well unless you drink toooooo much.

I get REALLY seasick. I had prescription meclizine on our '03 cruise. Now it's OTC as bonine. I take one every 12 hours (my prescription was one every 4 hours...it was for dizziness for an inner ear infection). And I've NEVER gotten seasick again. A friend of mine got really sick. So sick she couldn't go to the infirmary. Her son went, and they gave him bonine. She felt fine within a couple of hours. So, my vote is BONINE.

My son gets car sick easily, but on the cruise ship he's never been sick. In the car he wears seabands and it REALLY works. I used to have to give him dramimine but now he puts on the seabands and hes good to go!! He's been on four cruises so far and he's never been sick.:)

I get REALLY seasick. I had prescription meclizine on our '03 cruise. Now it's OTC as bonine. I take one every 12 hours (my prescription was one every 4 hours...it was for dizziness for an inner ear infection). And I've NEVER gotten seasick again. A friend of mine got really sick. So sick she couldn't go to the infirmary. Her son went, and they gave him bonine. She felt fine within a couple of hours. So, my vote is BONINE.

I have been recommending Bonine to all my friends and first time cruisers and I have been getting all positive reactions - glad it's works for them, you all out there and esp for ME!! Corkey Carol

My DH gets motion sickness when he watches home-made movies. So when we went on our cruise he took Bonine. He didn't have any problems whatso ever. In fact he didn't take it the last night of the cruise and he was fine. So I would try the Bonine if I was you.:)

Just back from rough waters; last night I thought if I "died" I fould feel better.

For some reason, before I left, I purchased Bonine, and was glad I had it with me. I'm a "small" person, and one tab made me sooo sleepy, but I didn't have to worship the Porceline Goddess. Felt fine the next day.

FYI, it's sold at behind the counter at Target (and probably all pharmacies).

just my 2 cents but I vote bands....I cant even sit on a swing set without keeping one foot on the ground, I have horrible equlibrium (spelling) I use to use the patch and the other over the counter drugs but I find the bands to be much better. You can pop them on and take them off if you feel the least bit sea sick...they are a bite uncomfortable at the beginning becuz of the pressure, but its the pressure point that is keeping you from getting sick. to see where your pressure points are, take your "pointer" finger and your middle finger, place them right at the crease of your wrist, inbetween if you press on that area with a little pressure you will see where this pressure point is, that is where the little "dot" on the band is and that is why it can become uncomfortable, you do get use to it.

everyone reacts differently, but like I said I use to use the meds and prefer the bands now. happy cruising

There is a device that looks like a watch and delivers a small shock. It can be adjusted to your need. You can get them through Travel Smith, sometimes at your better pharmacies. They are somewhat costly, $100 to $150,:eek: but worth it. My best friend can get motion sickness sitting in a chair and it worked for her. If you get one take the batteries out when not using it and store it with a couple of silica packets from old pill bottles to keep out moisture.;)

My first cruise we had 8-13 ft. swells. This ship was a ghost ship, most people were sick. I get car sick, so my DH had me take ginger. Worked like a charm, never got sick. On RCI if you notice the first nights menu, there are food items that have ginger in them. I think they do this for a reason.

DMBFan41 - yes, ginger helps a lot too - i like ginger but only as a flavoring for asian foods - however, ginger ale helps me a lot too - there was a day when the bonine didn't take effect and the ginger ale came to my rescue! Corkey Carol

Meclazine is the same as Bonine, only sold behind the counter and is more economical. Just ask the pharmacist. I don't fly or cruise without it and it doesn't make me drowsy. One pill a day usually does the trick.

Angie

I'm another fan of Bonine--only now I buy the Target generic. It's the exact same medication, but a lot less expensive. The Bonine is a raspberry-flavored chewable, and the Target is swallowable. They're both tiny little pills; I prefer to swallow mine.

I usually take the first one the night before we get on the ship and every night at bedtime, including the last night. I forgot one time, and within 30 minutes of the ship's sailing I was sick. I took two right away and spent the night in the cabin; I wasn't sick, but I sure was sleepy -- which is why I take the one at night before bed. I figure if they make me sleepy, I'll already be in bed!

The sea air and gentle rocking of the ship make me sleepy everytime I sit down on a ship, anyway. If we're out and about I don't feel sleepy at all.

Archived