Bonine or Sea Bands?

WedNoMor

I'm another fan of Bonine--only now I buy the Target generic. It's the exact same medication, but a lot less expensive. The Bonine is a raspberry-flavored chewable, and the Target is swallowable. They're both tiny little pills; I prefer to swallow mine.

I usually take the first one the night before we get on the ship and every night at bedtime, including the last night. I forgot one time, and within 30 minutes of the ship's sailing I was sick. I took two right away and spent the night in the cabin; I wasn't sick, but I sure was sleepy -- which is why I take the one at night before bed. I figure if they make me sleepy, I'll already be in bed!

The sea air and gentle rocking of the ship make me sleepy everytime I sit down on a ship, anyway. If we're out and about I don't feel sleepy at all.

Our last cruise we took Ginger capsules & had no problems.We had 8-12ft seas coming back into NY on that cruise too. You can get them at any health food store and it was only $5 for a bottle of 100. There are no side effects (drowsyness) either..Couldn't hurt as an extra precaution.

• 2 weeks later...
Our last cruise we took Ginger capsules & had no problems.We had 8-12ft seas coming back into NY on that cruise too. You can get them at any health food store and it was only $5 for a bottle of 100. There are no side effects (drowsyness) either..Couldn't hurt as an extra precaution.

That's interesting - thank you - I will look into that - ginger ale helps and yes, the real ginger is suppose to be good so why not ginger capsules - thanx... Corkey

Does anybody else get extremely tired on Bonine or is it just me? Last time I took it I had 1 drink about 3 hours after and the rest of the afternoon/night felt like I took a tranquilizer. I had to go to bed it was so bad. I'm pretty small so I wonder if I took to much?:confused:

Does anybody else get extremely tired on Bonine or is it just me? Last time I took it I had 1 drink about 3 hours after and the rest of the afternoon/night felt like I took a tranquilizer. I had to go to bed it was so bad. I'm pretty small so I wonder if I took to much?:confused:

Last year we talked a friend into joining us on a cruise. She had the same reaction that you are describing and is about 5 ft and weighs under 100 lbs. The next day the seas were pretty active again and a lot of people were getting sick so she took one of the Bonine jr’s we brought for the kids. She was much better but still felt a little tired and was afraid to drink at all(we all were). On the third day she was fine and even drank beer without feeling tired and seemed to be ok the rest of the trip.

On another note, my wife makes ginger tea concentrate before we leave home and if anyone starts feeling queasy, they get a dose of that and a Bonine. It seems to settle the stomach and reduce the urge to vomit.

That's interesting re: the Bonine and how it affected the smaller person - people complain that Dramamine makes them drowsy, esp after a drink - I am lucky with Bonine - I take it around 5 pm everyday on a cruise - have a drink, have dinner - I am fine. However, all the talk about ginger is interesting. Corkey

This happened to my DH the first day of our cruise, regular size guy about 165#.

I tryed it a few weeks before the cruise with the same effect so I was not about to take it for the cruise. Used ginger and sea bands, no problems. natural remedies only...Priceless:)

• 2 weeks later...

Bonine is amazing! My motion sick husband takes 1/4 to 1/3 of a pill every 6 hours or so throughout the cruise. Just enough to work but not enough to make you feel sleepy. He can get sick when the windshield wipers are on in the car! Bonine is a 100% cure for him!

I too have been using the Bonine and do get drowsy and plan dosing around dinner.

(dramamine makes me a total wipe out for liek 8 hours)

My question being super prone to motion sick-

1.)what amount of ginger capsules (mg)-how often?

2.)anyone try candied ginger?

I also read gingerale may settle stomache but has no real ginger in it?

lastly - sea bands- are they to be worn constantly?

• 3 weeks later...
I too have been using the Bonine and do get drowsy and plan dosing around dinner.

(dramamine makes me a total wipe out for liek 8 hours)

My question being super prone to motion sick-

1.)what amount of ginger capsules (mg)-how often?

2.)anyone try candied ginger?

I also read gingerale may settle stomache but has no real ginger in it?

lastly - sea bands- are they to be worn constantly?

I took 1 ginger capsule a day I got the bottle at GNC,they can probably tell you how much you should need. I haven't tried candied ginger. I THINK you have to wear the seabands constantly (and they hurt after a while from constantly being pressed against your wrist).

Ok, I'll take you from "interesting" to Mythbusting. The show Myth Busters did a show about seasickness remedies. Here is the link..

http://mythbustersresults.com/episode43

Ginger was "confirmed" meaning it worked as a sea sickness remedy in their tests.

It doesn't appear that mythbusters tested sea bands. Sea bands are not magnetized arm bands, they are much like a ponytail holder with a small plastic ball that puts pressure on a specific point on your wrist. It must be worn in the correct spot. They can be uncomfortable until you get used to them, as they fit tightly. Our family of 5 has used them on 2 cruises. I know for sure that one daughter never took hers off. I think the rest of us did end up taking them off when it was smooth & putting them back on when we had some rough water (there were seasick bags on all the elevators). I'd have to double-check our photos to be absolutely sure.

I'd sure be willing to look into the ginger tablets, as I'd hate to miss out on any activities because of medicine head.

Meclazine is the same as Bonine, only sold behind the counter and is more economical. Just ask the pharmacist. I don't fly or cruise without it and it doesn't make me drowsy. One pill a day usually does the trick.

Angie

Ditto! Save yourself some $$$ for the cruise & buy Meclazine which is the main drug in Bonine. You can buy this over the counter.... Costco pharmacy sells 100 tabs for $4.99 :D

Silly question but do you think it is ok to take bonine and ginger pills together?

Yes! Ginger come in a pill or just plain ginger if you can stand the taste :p Suggest to purchasing meclizine which is the main drug in Bonine. A lot cheaper.

This subject is very dear to me as I will the one kid who always got car sick. Now, thanks to Bonine... I scuba dive (some of the rides can be rough on open sea), cruise, & fly in a helicopter/airplane for a living :D

PS My favorite drink on the commercial airplane is ginger-ale

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Silly question but do you think it is ok to take bonine and ginger pills together?

On my cruise in December I took both Bonine and ginger capsules about an hour apart without any problems.

What I have found that with ginger you need to start about 2 weeks out taking it. I will start with one capsule in the morning and one at night and then work up to 2 and 2. The morning I took the Bonine we were going very slow to allow the USS Reagan to link up with us for an medical evacuation. When we slowed down I was afraid the motion would be a little more than the ginger could handle and took the Bonine.

• 3 weeks later...

I would have to vote for the prescription patches. For some reason, my motion sickness has gotten worse in the last few years. I use the patches when I'm in the car for long periods of time, ANYtime I fly and will definitely take them on the cruise. They are easy to get, just tell the doctor you are going on a cruise and they will prescribe some, and they aren't expensive. The only tip I would give is when you change them (they last for 3 days), make sure you put it in a different spot. My skin gets irritated from them sometimes.

I was going to email my doctor to have him prescribe me the patches, but wanted to find out if anyone has had side effects from the patches such as the drowsiness. I don't want to be drowsy! I was thinking about doing a combo of the sea bands and ginger orignially, but if the patches have no major side effects I'll vote for that. :confused:

I am about to go on my 4th cruise. i have used the patches on the long ones. I have not had any side effects drowsy or other wise. I plan on using them again. My daugher is going on her 2nd cruise and she tends to get dizzy on my dock. she used them with out incodent and had a great time.:)

Archived