Artic Circle

chrob

The "Arctic circle" is just a sign on the Haul Road. :) (from the ground) WHERE do you want to go for a few days?? My recomendation would be Barrow. As there are some activities there. I flew into Coldfoot a couple weeks ago for a look at the fires- expansive.

It is Barrow we want to go.

We are considering the options at the moment. i.e. should we fly from Calgary to Barrow and spend a couple of nights there taking in a local trip or fly Calgary to Anchoridge and take a day/overnight trip there.

We would love to see Polar bears and the Northern Lights but fear we will be too early for both in early August.

What else would you recommend to see/do in Barrow? Is the KingEider hotel the best place to stay?

Look into tours by Northern Alaska Tour Company. We did a three day tour from Fairbanks to Prudhoe Bay and back. Two days by van to Prudhoe Bay and then flew back. There is an extension to Barrow. Our tour leader was terrific. Don't know about going from Anchorage. Call them and talk to them or look on the internet. They were a good company to work with. Really enjoyable. Probably won't see polar bears or Northern lights, though.

You need later for northern lights and polar bears- although the bears are there. I would not go to Barrow on a tour and arrange something privately instead- allow 2 over nights if you change your dates so to allow more time for wildlife.

Archived