Rude Table mates

mp cruiser

Cotton is right - Stay with us! No one is ever going to agree with everything (or sometimes anything!:) ) you say, but that's really one of the great things about these boards. You'll learn things you didn't know about what you could do, or ask for, or how to react to certain situations. Usually someone here has been through what you are asking about and will have an answer that will work for you!

Terri

Dont be sorry that you posted. This is how you learn. Most people when cruising for the first time--dont know that changing tables OR times is an option. So now you know the next time you cruise. I have never got stuck with rude table mates--but then I have cruised with family for all my past cruises. Next two cruises I have requested a large table since its only the SO and myself.

My first thoughts were if that was the only night you went to the dining room, that too could have been considered rude by the others at the table.
Why would this be considered rude?

Maybe people don't eat in the dining room every night so that they're not forced to eat at an hour when they're not even hungry.

Maybe they didn't want to change out of the shorts and tank tops they had worn during the day.

Maybe they were running late to dinner and decided not to enter the dining room in the middle of dinner service.

Are you supposed to track down your tablemates during the day to let them know you won't be dining with them that night?

Are you supposed to track down your tablemates during the day to let them know you won't be dining with them that night?

I do whenever possible. If I know the night before that we won't be eating in the dining room, I also let the waiters know as well as our tablemates.

It seems rude that your husband would correct the manners of tablemates. I think your approach would have been more appropriate.

I guess this was another one of those "you really needed to be there" to understand that there was absolutely nothing rude in the manner in which certain table manners were taught. Everything was said in good fun during conversation with the group. But even as we joked about the Gameboy and personal cd player, the kids listened and payed attention. (The grandfather was absent from dinner a great deal, and grandmother seemed oblivious.) It was amazing how the 16 year old never wore his baseball cap to dinner again after the first night. :) :)

I have to say that we honestly only had rude table mates once. In this case, grandparents had decided to take their gradchildren on a New Year's cruise......Needless to say, the kids were in control. The eight year old grandson brought his Gameboy to the table and played it, and the 16 year-old grandson listened to his personal cd player using headphones. Needless to say, my husband taught them both some much-needed table manners, and my 6 year-old daughter saw a good example of how NOT to behave at dinner. I suggested changing tables, but my husband had his own agenda!!!! ;)

I don't see anything wrong with allowing an 8 year old to sit nicely and play his game boy after he finished eating. The 16 year old was using head phones. Now if you said no head phones, I'd be upset.

They were not loud or sloppy, they sat nicely and didn't annoy anyone. For some children sitting there for over an hour is a very hard thing to do. Would you rather they screamed and jumped all around. I have seen many children who fall asleep with their heads on the table. I think the grandparents were very wise to allow them to bring something to occupy themselfs. Better than annoying everyone else.

MP Cruiser

Don't be sorry at all, You had every right to vent. That is part of what this board is all about.

We have been very lucky with tablemates, every one of them have been very pleasent, and they came in all ages and backgrounds.

Unless they were total barbarians, I would never let a tablemate spoil my trip, or even consider changing tables.

I don't see anything wrong with allowing an 8 year old to sit nicely and play his game boy after he finished eating. The 16 year old was using head phones. Now if you said no head phones, I'd be upset.

They were not loud or sloppy, they sat nicely and didn't annoy anyone. For some children sitting there for over an hour is a very hard thing to do. Would you rather they screamed and jumped all around.

Again....You had to be there. The 8 year-old did not "sit" at all. He played his gameboy throughout dinner (not just when he was finished), or he ran around. The headpones were OK, except for the other kids that tried to talk (sometimes yelled) over the headphones to get his attention. As for the grandparents being wise, well they didn't even know where the 8 year-old was the last night of the cruise when he never appeared at the dinner table. :rolleyes:

Only one cruise under our belt & 2 more booked so I don't have much experience with this yet. Our table mates on our 1st could not have been better. Who ever picks table mates did a great job. My DD was afraid she would have to sit at a table of adults every nite but there was another family with 3 girls all close in age to her. The parents were lovely people and we never missed dining with them and even took in the shows together. I'm hoping the tablemate genie is at work for the next one!!!

I could maybe understand the 8 year old playing his gameboy before and after dinner, but not during! As for the 16 year old, he should have left his entertainment in the cabin. He was old enough to sit at the table and interact with the adults. Dinner is a time for the youngsters to learn social graces, manners and etiquette if they haven't learned them at home already. Our kids at those ages never were allowed to bring anything to the table even at home. And to not know the whereabouts of an 8 year old on the last night at dinner . . . geesh!

I have a 6 yr old stepson who when he isn't hooked up the the X box on Tv like its some kind of life support machine. He is walking around with his head down playing that Gameboy.

Granted sometimes him having that Gameboy with him is great because it keeps him occupied (in other words quiet and out of mischief) like a long car ride , or for a long waiting period like in a doctors waiting room.

however I would not allow it at any dinner table. my own, in a restaurant , or on a cruise. It is also not allowed when we are going to be walking around a lot like in the mall. As I said he walks with his head down and eyes glued to the thing. Bumping into people and things. That happened one time at the mall, and the Gameboy went in my pocket and that was that.

Dinner is a time for the youngsters to learn social graces, manners and etiquette if they haven't learned them at home already.
One of the lines, I don't remember if it is "X" or HAL, conducts a "class" for the young'ns on table etiquette. What a great idea! It should be required! I know a few adults that could benefit from it as well. :rolleyes:

[quote name='tef43'] I don't remember if it is "X" or HAL, conducts a "class" for the young'ns on table etiquette. [/QUOTE]

I couldn't find it on the NCL site
[url]http://www.ncl.com/more/kidscrew_mini.htm[/url]

Who is "X"

I belong to "SPIT"
Society For the Prevention Of Initialed Titles.

[quote name='derf5585']Who is "X"[/QUOTE] That is the common shorthand for Celebrity, which comes from the "X" on their ships funnels.

The "X" is the Greek "Chi" which is the first letter in "Chandris" which was Celebrity's original name.

And now you know the *rest* of the story.

[quote name='basketsiam']Again....You had to be there. The 8 year-old did not "sit" at all. He played his gameboy throughout dinner (not just when he was finished), or he ran around. The headpones were OK, except for the other kids that tried to talk (sometimes yelled) over the headphones to get his attention. As for the grandparents being wise, well they didn't even know where the 8 year-old was the last night of the cruise when he never appeared at the dinner table. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

You didn't say all this in your first post. I thought from your first post the children sat there nicely after dinner and played their game boy.
You are right I was not there.

Archived