How picky are the airlines regarding weight and size of luggage?

rjack22

Recognizing pickiness can vary from trip to trip, I found British Airways, San Francisco to London to be very picky, particularly regarding a carry-on bag. I have a bag I used as a carry-on for years, which does fit under a seat or in the overhead bin - but it was too long (by one inch) for their sizing - and they required I check it!

I have no recent first-hand experience with American Airlines, but have been told that they are also pretty picky.

saltwatertwo

check with your airline on the internet i am flying nwa and to vancouver it is 50 lb not 70

Thanks. I'll go with the fifty pounds. My e-ticket definitely says 70#. I also checked with UAL on the internet and it says 70# for international. So now we have four pieces of luggage instead of three. I think Walt scared me a little but, yes, better safe than $orry.

SaltwaterTwo, That would be a very good choice. I flew from LAX to Vancouver a few weeks ago. They definitely checked the weight of the bags (it was 50 lb. limit), I was over 2 lbs. on one and 3 lbs. on the other, they did let them go with a warning. On the return trip, I shifted some of the weight to the carry on, they did not weigh the bags in Vancouver returning to LAX.

Archived