RV parking - Anchorage to Kenai

TenerifeSharon

We're planning on renting an RV from GAH for 8 days in early September (10th-18th) before our Whitter-Bangkok 31-night cruise on Diamond Princess. It will probably be too late for Denali, so we want to concentrate this trip on Seward, Homer, Turnagain etc.

Is it allowed to park overnight along the roads in that area - naturally, except for where it is definitely marked "No overnight parking":rolleyes:? Can anyone with RV experience make some suggestions (BQ? FTI? Yukon? NancyIL?) as to a good "game" plan for the 8 days. We're flying into ANC, spending a night at ES Deluxe (thanks Priceline) and then after the RV week, will be back at ES for the 2 nights before our cruise begins out of Whittier. Thanks for any help.

Sharon,

Since you are already going to be in Alaska, I would put in for the Denali lottery. I believe it is $25 to apply for the permit. If you would win, then you could drive your motorhome all the way into the park and really be able to see the park. If you don't win, then you would still have your back up plan of places that you want to see.

Janice

Sharon,

We are talking about two different things. After the park closes, they offer a lottery (that you have to put in for) and it is something that very few people get to do. If you win the lottery, you get to drive your private vehicle all the way into the park, something that is limited during the park being opened. You used to have to mail in your application, but now I believe it can all be done on line. There is, I believe, a nonrefundable $25.00 application fee. If you don't win, you are just out the $25.00, but if you win, you are already in Alaska and able to enjoy this. Here is an article on the lottery that I just quickly found. Many people apply every year and then have to scramble for very high priced airline tickets to be able to go.

http://www.gadling.com/2007/09/12/denali-road-lottery-an-autumn-experience-for-the-lucky-few/

Janice

First of all... I would chance the 'lottery' to take the drive into Denali if I were in Alaska at the correct time.

As far as RVing... besides DNP campgrounds, we overnighted alongside the highway (I felt like a troll under a bridge near Talkeetna:)), at a pull-out within view of Exit Glacier (where my DH saw a bear very early the next morning), at a cheap overnight camping area (nothing but parking spaces on blacktop) near Independence Mine State Park. We also stayed overnight in the back lot of a 24-hour restaurant in Anchorage (okayed by the manager) and in the City of Seward camping area. Our last night was spent in the lot of GAH.

Like you mentioned, we respected private property and anywhere 'no camping' signs were posted.

If you don't have a copy of the MilePost, it is worthwhile to get one for RVing, my opinion. :)

PSsunshingal & sym1966 - Thanks so much for your responses!

Janice - thanks very much for being so persistent. I knew a bit about the Denali lottery, but obviously only "a bit". I didn't realize it was for exactly the dates we will be there:D. It's definitely worth the $10 entry fee to try and get a permit. I read up on the details and, the only problem for us will be in the postmark date. This year the request had to be postmarked between July 1 - 31. With our various european postal systems it is possible that if I mail the request out on the 1st of July, it may arrive at Denali sometime in September! Will mark my calendar and try to get it sent exactly on July 1st.

sym1966 - your information is also exactly what I am looking for. We are not very experienced RVers -- just one fantastic trip in California a couple of years ago including Yosemite, etc. We just don't want to break any rules and need to know what is acceptable. We don't like being in an RV park, just being part of nature and away from lots of campers and others. (So why are we going on a 32 day cruise with 2,500 other people??:p)

Sharon,

I understand the mail and your concerns, but if you really want to try and do this, write me off the boards at pssunshinegal at aol dot com and you can send the forms to me and I will mail the forms on July 1st from the states for you.

My best friend lives in Healy and it is still a thrill for the locals when one gets picked to load as many people in the van as can fit and take off for the back park of the park.

Once I hear from you I have some other information to share about this.

Janice

We had a wonderful 2-week RV trip last August so I know you're going to have a fantastic trip whichever route you take! Next to Denali, the Kenai was definitely our favorite. (And the only place I ever saw a no overnight parking sign was at Earthquake Park in Anchorage.) Lots of beautiful forestry campgounds and state parks in that area , and I really loved the Seward city campground. It's like a side-by-side parking lot, but wasn't that crowded when we were there, and the views were fantastic! The Fishing Hole on Homer Spit is also like that. Feel free to e-mail me at cjnky42211 at yahoo dot com for more information. ;)

Sharon,

I understand the mail and your concerns, but if you really want to try and do this, write me off the boards at pssunshinegal at aol dot com and you can send the forms to me and I will mail the forms on July 1st from the states for you.

I was going to offer to do the same for you. We got to do it one year, and it was awesome! We drove all the way to Wonder Lake and back, and couldn't believe all the grizzlies we saw. We actually got a picture of 2 cubs rubbing their backs on the "beware of bears" sign. And saw a foolish photographer charged by a boar. Fortunately for him, a ranger drove off the road to put his pickup between the bear and the photographer.

PS I'm envious of the Whittier to Bangkok trip!

I was going to offer to do the same for you. We got to do it one year, and it was awesome! We drove all the way to Wonder Lake and back, and couldn't believe all the grizzlies we saw. We actually got a picture of 2 cubs rubbing their backs on the "beware of bears" sign. And saw a foolish photographer charged by a boar. Fortunately for him, a ranger drove off the road to put his pickup between the bear and the photographer.

PS I'm envious of the Whittier to Bangkok trip!

Thanks, mytime53, it sounds wonderful -- so maybe we'll have luck. According to the nps website, the park shuttles etc. stop on Sept. 11. With that information, I'm assuming that the lottery will be for Sept. 12-13-14-15 this year (Fri.-Mon.), just exactly when we will be there -- we're renting the RV from the 10th - 18th. Keep your fingers crossed. I would expect that Alaskan residents should have an advantage for the places (after putting up with the tourists all summer:p), but it doesn't sound like that is true. You do deserve it!

The Whittier-Bangkok cruise was such a great deal that we really couldn't turn it down! And since I was able to get our one-way flights to ANC and return from BKK very reasonably from Germany, it's all working out wonderfully -- at least, up to now. Most of the cabins sold out within days, and the few insides that are remaining now are more expensive than our balcony cabin was!

Archived