Shopping

Royalpair

We are leaving for Cabo, PV and Mazatlan in 2 weeks. Is there anything special to look for in theses ports as far as shopping goes?

Thanks!

You'll find a lot of the same merchandise in each port...Overall, you'll find the best prices in Mazatlan--especially if you avoid the "Cruise Line Recommended Stores"...bring US cash...easiest to bargain with...and you DO bargain in these smaller shops...they tell you something costs $100, you shake your head and start to walk away...they'll pursue you..."how much do you want to spend?"...You say $20...eventually, you'll pay $50...

Popular things to buy:

--Cheap Silver jewelry

--Leather goods

--Fake designer purses and designer watches

--Alcohol, especially Kahlua and good Tequila

--Local and native arts

Among the things I've bought over the years:

--Three Ironwood carved bears that I have on my desk at my office (remember, I'm a Bruin)--I LOVE these as does everyone who visits my office

--An Onyx and Abalone Mask (The cruise ship recommended stores were asking $80-85 at the time...I picked up the exact same merchandise at a smaller shop in Mazatlan's Golden Zone for $20!!)

--A ceramic statue of a woman carrying a basket of fruit

--A leather tote bag

--leather purses

--Kahlua (Costs around $8 for a liter that runs about $20-22 back home)...They allow US residents to bring back 1 liter per adult duty-free...

Have fun...

Thanks for the quick reply! Talking about the onyx things reminded me my mom's friend brought her some things back from Mexico - eons ago. I just love native crafts, my whole family room is full of pics and souveniers from our trips. And thanks for the tip about Mazatlan. I know there seems to be one port that is usually the best place to shop.

Thanks again.

Archived