Just back from Silver Cloud South African Cruise - Fabulous!

NJBelle

Hello all, my family and I just returned from the two week holiday cruise on the Cloud. Literally just returned - as of this AM. I should be unpacking and doing laundry - but we only got back 1 out of our 6 bags (but that is a South African Airlines story for another time!). So, since I had unexpected time, I just wanted to take a few minutes and let everyone know that the cruise was just great.

I will write a longer review later but just have to say that while we have been on 7 Crystal cruises, 4 Regent cruises and one other Silversea cruise, we had the BEST service we have ever had on any line - on this cruise. Yes, better than Crystal. And food was great - see comments by CASHIPman from the cruise before ours on Tobias, the new chef (formerly from Regent). Lots of great South African wines (with several cooking demos and wine tastings) as well as the usual nice beverage offerings. Weather was fantastic, excursions (including 3 safaris and an absolutely breathtaking evening on the Namib desert) were just great.

Again - just wanted to touch base and let everyone know that SS is doing a great job and we were very happy. Will try to write more details of the ship, staff later.

Also, glad to see lots of SS board activity over the past few weeks - it has been fun to see what has been going on at CC while I was away.

Best, NJBelle

Glad you had a good time - look forward to reading about it. When you write your review, would you pls put it in the special review section rather than starting a new thread as that way all readers can quickly see your comments rather than having to search through lots of threads. I discovered that there aren't many reviews on the SS ships and this may be the reason why. Threads eventually disappear but the reviews will stay. You can always start another thread with the link to the review.:)

Cheers

Ging466

Hi all, happy to report that the luggage DID show up today (two days late - and fortunately does not seem to be pilfered through) - so right now I am doing laundry and reading CC while waiting for a load to finish drying. So, still haven't had a chance to do the full review (do have that day job, you know) but have it on my agenda for the weekend.

If, in the meantime, there are particular questions that anyone has, please feel free to ask.

NJBelle

PS - despite the fact that my house still has all the decorations up for Christmas, my luggage was delayed and my clothes are all dirty (although in process of getting cleaned) and my work e-mail in box is still not totally sorted out - I am ready to go back to South Africa. It was really that wonderful!

Hi, Swindy, we did that Phinda Lodge excursion a year or so ago. It was a terrific lodge and lots of game around. It was also the hottest day we had on the trip! On the way back to the airport to return to Richard's Bay (I think), it was about 110!!! The poor crew was setting up for the BBQ and everyone roasted (no pun intended) but we had a good time, as usual. Bon Voyage and enjoy!

Hi,

The various staff for our Dec 22-Jan 5 Cloud cruise were:

Captain - Michele Macaroni Palmieri

Cruise Director - Steve Lewis (used to be on Regent)

Executive Chef - Tobias Schreiber (used to be on Regent)

Head Sommelier - Ana (forget last name)

Maitre D - Hedi (forget last name)

We thought Captain was fine, and Steve was good too. Loved Tobias, and Hedi was the best MD we have ever seen - was just everywhere taking care of everything! And Ana grew over the two weeks we were on the cruise and we were really positive about her as well.

As far as excursions/game drives, we only did the "day" ones. I think 8 people from the cruise went on the side trip and I heard it was wonderful - and they saw all the Big Five.

Our day safaris were pretty good, though - for us neophytes who had never seen any of these animals outside a zoo. Our first safari was at Addo Elephant Park - which was fun and you really do see a lot of elephants, although not so much of the other "hot" animals. We did see warthogs, lots of antelope types, and a buffalo there. Then a few days later we took an all day excursion to Hluhluwe-Umfololozi Game Reserve; that was a great day. We saw lots of buffalo, white rhino, and elephants, as well as various antelopes, giraffes, zebras, baboons, ostrich, and a lot of other stuff I am forgetting. While in East London, we went to Inkwentwezi Game Reserve, and saw most of what we had seen in the H-U drive as well as lot of wildebeests - and lots of impalas, kudus, etc. We also saw a lion family, but I have to put an asterisk by that since it was almost like a zoo, since they keep them in a large fenced area - supposedly since they are so young, they want them to grow more (wasn't totally clear why they have it that way really). You enter the fenced area in your 4x4 and get pretty close. So, even if it is a little artificial, it was pretty cool to be right there with nothing between us but a 4x4.

Again, I plan to do a longer review when I have more time this weekend. However, I have just read Meow!'s review and feel very inadequate. There is no way I will even get close to the great job that he has done - thanks Meow! Many of the same SS touches were on the Cloud, so I can take comfort knowing you have already covered some of those aspects.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Best, Janice

Archived