Topkapi Palace-dining

I'm not aware of any tours that offer dining in Topkapi Palace. Are you maybe confusing that with a tour that offers the chance to eat at Kiragen (sp?) Palace -- formerly an Ottoman Palace and now a resort on the Bosphorus? Several tours I've seen do stop for lunch there (including ours).

If it is Topkapi, let us know more!

There is a Carnival tour and I am also interested if anyone has eaten there. It seems to place to go in Istanbul.

We did the tour in July that covered the Hippadrome, Blue Mosque, Sofia Hagia, Topkapi Palace (with lunch), a carpet weaving demo and then finished at the Grand Bazaar.

Dining at the Topkapi had been recommended to us by some Turkish friends but on the day we were there entry into the palace was only available to Carnival people (or so we were told).

As a total excursion it was a long day, would happily have skipped the carpet demo to try to get to the Spice Bazaar but would have been to much trouble to connect with the bus.

The dinner at the Topkapi was out on the terrace. Food was quite good, local cuisine but nothing extreme that would upset tourists. As we have eaten at our friends home we were looking forward to some more traditional Turkish dishes but I think they play it safe at the Palace. I had heard of people who just got sandwiches when they were there.

As a venue however it was superb. I had a few almost out of body experiences on our trip when it struck me I was on the other side of the world eating meals in places I had only read about since childhood. So suddenly I found myself a little overwhelmed at sitting and eating at the junction of Europe and Asia. The ships and ferries zipping about on the Bosphorus was an incredible sight, especially with the work site for the new tunnel being smack in the middle of the busiest waterway in the world. The rest of the tour in the Topkapi was good, the sheer opulence of it was incredible, the myriad pavillions, jewels, artworks incredible.

If I go back then the Topkapi would get a full half day minimum plus the meal but that trip is on hold until we can link up with our friends in Ephesus or Istanbul and really explore.

David

Thanks for the info on the tour of the Topkapi Palace and dining experience there. Could you be a little more specific in telling me what traditional Turkish food is like? I have never been outside of the USA, except for Canada and the Caribbean. I'm very excited about going on the 14 day Med cruise aboard the Carnival Splendor and then staying for the 16 day TA. We are looking forward to seeing all the sights of the area but am quite hesitant in the eating department. Thanks again.

David and Paula--I was just about to post a question to ask if anyone had done the Carnival tour to the Topkaki Palace. What I would very much like to know is which sections were included in your Topkaki Palace and did they have a guide that explained all. We are doing the Freedom Med and TA this fall and I can't decide on ship tour or to do it on our own. The ship tour is not very expensive and one can easily spend 30E or more doing 3 sections of the Palace alone. I think the 1/2 day tour of the Palace, Mosque, Sophia and Hippadedrom is only about $60. Did you feel rushed in the palace and was the tour group terribly large? TIA

David and Paula--I was just about to post a question to ask if anyone had done the Carnival tour to the Topkaki Palace. What I would very much like to know is which sections were included in your Topkaki Palace and did they have a guide that explained all. We are doing the Freedom Med and TA this fall and I can't decide on ship tour or to do it on our own. The ship tour is not very expensive and one can easily spend 30E or more doing 3 sections of the Palace alone. I think the 1/2 day tour of the Palace, Mosque, Sophia and Hippadedrom is only about $60. Did you feel rushed in the palace and was the tour group terribly large? TIA

I must admit I had purchased a guide book on Istanbul before we left and it had a very good coverage of all we saw in Istanbul. It was one of the DK Eyewitness series of books and contained diagrams showing the Palace as it would have been back in the past.

We had a guide and any parts he missed out on I was able to fill in from the book and the combination worked very well.

The only part closed off was being renovated as Istanbul is to be the UNESCO Centre of Culture. It was a pity as the closed off part contained the room that has the robe of Mohammed and even though you cannot enter the room you can strain for a glance through the barred door. The case for the robe is on display back in the mian museum in the old Treasury part of the palace.

Do not miss the Turban Pavillion as the mother of pearl inlays are really fantastic.

The other part that was closed was the harem but the Carnival tour did not include this as it costs extra.

The guide did not accompany us in the museums and with such a huge array of exhibits I must admit we just drifted by the Spoon Diamond but at least the Topkapi Dagger was prominent enough to attract my attention. We had put our cameras away before entering as I had read about how prohibited photography was but I did notice lots of people taking pictures, some even used flash. Check it out with the guide or officals before risking it as in years gone by you risked confiscation and even detention according to our friends but the rules appear to have been relaxed.

The tour group we were with was a full bus load and there were a number of tours. I think at the restaurant there were something like 3 tour groups there at the one time so I was very happy that we dined out on the terrace. As we left the palace to head for the Grand Bazaar I gave my guidebook to a young American girl who was going to take History and Anthropolgy at college when she returned so I can no longer look up all the details. Before we go back I will read much more thoroughly a new set of books.

The rushed part seemed to be up until lunchtime as the guide was attempting to get in the Hippadrome, Blue Mosque and Sophia Haga plus some of the Palace before our lunch booking. After lunch we slowed down a bit and had some free time. I would happliy have left out the carpet weaving demo and sales pitch for more time in either the Hippadrome or the Palace.

David

Thanks for the info on the tour of the Topkapi Palace and dining experience there. Could you be a little more specific in telling me what traditional Turkish food is like? I have never been outside of the USA, except for Canada and the Caribbean. I'm very excited about going on the 14 day Med cruise aboard the Carnival Splendor and then staying for the 16 day TA. We are looking forward to seeing all the sights of the area but am quite hesitant in the eating department. Thanks again.

The first time we went to tea at our friends I was anticipating sheeps eyes and all sorts of exotic spicy foods. Basically I would describe the food we ate at their home, at the Topkapi and at Sirince vilage on the Ephesus tour as being pretty basic food that has been spiced up a little and I quite enjoyed it. Still waiting for a meal that looks back at me. Plenty of salads available where we ate in Turkey.

The local wines and cordials we tasted were nice enough, not local rotgut but not top shelf stuff either. Paula tried the coffee but it was a bit strong for her and the dregs are a really terrible taste. I stuck with water and coke as I was a bit dehydrated (it was 44 degrees celcius the day we were in Istanbul).

The trip is fading into the past rather rapidly now, must be time to return but our priority if we get to Europe in 2009 is a canal boat week in Yorkshire followed by a walking tour in France or Switzerland then on to Rome for a week before returning home. Turkey will have to wait until our friends daughter has completed her school studies and they have the time so probably not for another 5 years at this stage.

David

Thanks David. Your information really helps us make a decision. Most likely we will do it on our own as we really do want to include the Harem. Your review was very very helpful.

Dottie

Archived