Bag the Lifeboat Drill?

scorpiochic

NO. Muster drill is mandatory. Safety is important for everyone. Each ship and each cabin area on each ship has a different muster station. If there's an emergency, skipping muster drill could prove to be the worst decision you ever made.

THERE IS NO PLACE YOU CAN HIDE...!

I will admit the wife and I were tardy getting out of the cabin... I think she felt the bright orange vest clashed with her blouse and was looking to change... :rolleyes:

Anyway, as we were leaving the cabin and headed down the hall, the steward and his crew were opening and inspecting EVERY cabin and shooing guests out that may have decided to "bag the lifeboat drill"...

Gat a couple of the "DOD's" and meet/greet your fellow travelers...:D

I will admit, I did it once when I was young and stupid, but would never do it again. The PP is right that it is mandatory and that it is for your own safety. Now that I am older, and hopefully wiser, I know better!

Jen:D

With all due respect to the OP, while "bagging the drill" might seems like such as trivial thing, the idea of purposely missing or evading the drill is a perfect example of the self-centered, selfish attitude of the "me" generation. Its all about what "I" want, what makes "me" feel good.

When I evade the drill, everyone else has to stand around at their stations longer while the crew resolves who is missing and if they can be located. But that's all right, at least I wasn't inconvenienced and didn't have to "waste" my time on the silly lifeboat drill. Its so silly that it is MANDATED BY US COAST GUARD REGULATIONS; they think its important but what do they know about maritime safety.

When I evade the drill I may not be able to get to the proper station in a real emergency. So the crew will have to try to determine who is missing and someone will be dispatched to find me. Deciding to "bag the drill" means that I have made a decision for two lives, mine and the person who will be sent to locate me. But that's OK, I wasn't inconvenienced and managed to "put one over" on the crew on departure day.

Lets just go to the drill and don't try to be clever and "outfox" the procedure; it takes more effort to find a way to avoid it than it takes to do it.

When I get on an airplane I count the number of seat rows between me and the two nearest exits; when I get to a hotel I count the number of doors between me and the two nearest fire exits; when I get on a cruiseship I go the lifeboat drill. My life is worth something to me and a few minutes is little enough to invest in preserving it.

Going or not going to the drill is a lot like lying or telling the truth. Its easier to tell the truth, you don't have to remember what you lie you used last time. Just go to the drill, its for your own good and it might just save your life, and that of someone else, someday.

I'm sure someone will find a way to take umbrage at this but that's life.

John

Proud member of the Royal Caribbean Brilliance of the Seas Plughole Society

Everytime I get on a Ship for a new adventure I WANT to ditch the muster drill. I end up going to my respective station everytime and realize it's worth it and not for safety reasons but for the people watching!

Who's already lit? Who's in a wedding dress? Who doesn't know how to put on a vest? Who are the people holding us up?!?

Seriously it's thirty minutes out of 7+ days. Look for me, I'll be the guy in the orange life vest. ;)

- Matty C

I don't see the big deal about going. Either way, everything will be closed during the muster drill, you'll have to spend the whole time in your bathroom hiding from the room steward. So for the same 30 minutes, you can't do anything. Just go to the drill, laugh at the people around you who all look equally silly.

With all due respect to the OP, while "bagging the drill" might seems like such as trivial thing, the idea of purposely missing or evading the drill is a perfect example of the self-centered, selfish attitude of the "me" generation. Its all about what "I" want, what makes "me" feel good.

When I evade the drill, everyone else has to stand around at their stations longer while the crew resolves who is missing and if they can be located. But that's all right, at least I wasn't inconvenienced and didn't have to "waste" my time on the silly lifeboat drill. Its so silly that it is MANDATED BY US COAST GUARD REGULATIONS; they think its important but what do they know about maritime safety.

When I evade the drill I may not be able to get to the proper station in a real emergency. So the crew will have to try to determine who is missing and someone will be dispatched to find me. Deciding to "bag the drill" means that I have made a decision for two lives, mine and the person who will be sent to locate me. But that's OK, I wasn't inconvenienced and managed to "put one over" on the crew on departure day.

Lets just go to the drill and don't try to be clever and "outfox" the procedure; it takes more effort to find a way to avoid it than it takes to do it.

When I get on an airplane I count the number of seat rows between me and the two nearest exits; when I get to a hotel I count the number of doors between me and the two nearest fire exits; when I get on a cruiseship I go the lifeboat drill. My life is worth something to me and a few minutes is little enough to invest in preserving it.

Going or not going to the drill is a lot like lying or telling the truth. Its easier to tell the truth, you don't have to remember what you lie you used last time. Just go to the drill, its for your own good and it might just save your life, and that of someone else, someday.

I'm sure someone will find a way to take umbrage at this but that's life.

John

Proud member of the Royal Caribbean Brilliance of the Seas Plughole Society

The Me generation?

I find that as ignorant as missing the drill! where did that come from.. the ME generation.. I hope that isn't about us youngins.....I have a friend that went back to iraq 3 times even though he could have retired the military... well he is no longer with us due to heavy fighting in Fallujah ...may he rest in peace! He died there so no more of us will have to die here! I find it very offensive to say something like my generation isn't as good as yours!! I've been hearing for so long about the golden generation... Any time someone puts everyone into one stereotypical boat you can just as well forget what they have to say... I'd like you to tell my friends parents that he is from the lazy no good generation... careful what you say... you will depend on us for social security and legislation that protects seniors when they loose their voice... off my soap box....

but back to the topic... if it really kills you to wait for the drill... go after a few minutes so that they start shortly after youll arrive.this way your not standing there for 15 minutes before they start. I can feel the heat coming for even suggesting this..( oh but then i have to wait for you) .. true.. but what did you expect from the ME generation....Cruises are for fun... don't let others always negative views and comment disrupt your cruise... there are more of us then them anyway!

The Me generation?

I find that as ignorant as missing the drill! where did that come from.. the ME generation.. I hope that isn't about us youngins.....I have a friend that went back to iraq 3 times even though he could have retired the military... well he is no longer with us due to heavy fighting in Fallujah ...may he rest in peace! He died there so no more of us will have to die here! I find it very offensive to say something like my generation isn't as good as yours!! I've been hearing for so long about the golden generation... Any time someone puts everyone into one stereotypical boat you can just as well forget what they have to say... I'd like you to tell my friends parents that he is from the lazy no good generation... careful what you say... you will depend on us for social security and legislation that protects seniors when they loose their voice... off my soap box....

but back to the topic... if it really kills you to wait for the drill... go after a few minutes so that they start shortly after youll arrive.this way your not standing there for 15 minutes before they start. I can feel the heat coming for even suggesting this..( oh but then i have to wait for you) .. true.. but what did you expect from the ME generation....Cruises are for fun... don't let others always negative views and comment disrupt your cruise... there are more of us then them anyway!

This is simply not worth a response.

• 1 month later...
The Me generation?

I agree with you for what it's worth. And I'm sorry about your friend. I have some selfish "Me Generation" friends in Iraq too.

Jumping in here.........very sorry about your friend.

THAT BEING SAID....

He was a soldier and if he was told to go to a muster drill he would go.

Just do what your told (within reason of course ;) )....and everyone's happy!

Jenny

Archived