I recommend ferrying to Jost Van Dyke

MARKBUICK76

I've been to many islands in the USVI and the BVI while on 6 cruises and I like to explore and go where the crowds aren't. Before my cruise last year I did a little research on the internet and decided we (my wife, 2 daughters, 6 and 11, sister, brother inlaw and 2 nieced, 8 and 12) were going to take a ferry from Tortola to a little Island called Jost Van Dyke. We took a cab from the cruise ship dock to the ferry dock. The cab driver was very friendly and gave us a little tour on the way. I think the cab ride cost about 6 or 7 dollars a person. We then took the ferry over to Jost Van Dyke. When we arrived we had to decide weather to walk to the beach named white bay or take another cab. The walk wouldn't have been that long, about a half mile, but it is up a steep hill. I took one look at the kids and decided to take the cab. This trip might seem like a little bit of work, but let me tell you it was worth it. Many people say that Trunk Bay in St. John is the nicest beach in the Virgin Islands (and I do recommend going there too. It is also a ferry ride from Tortola), But Jost Van Dyke has it beat. It is beautiful and quiet with nobody on the beach bothering you to get your hair braided or buy trinkets. There is a bar/restraunt/shack right on the beach called the Soggy Dollar. The drinks a great and the food is good too. I was even supprised when they said they accepted credit cards. The reason the bar is named the Soggy Dollar is that people that are sailing around the Virgin Islands anchor their boats just off the beach and swim to shore to hang out on the beach and enjoy some lunch and drinks at the Soggy Dollar. So when they pay the money is wet. I really recommend this beach and the cost of the transportation will cost you about what a cruise excursion will cost or less. The only thing is you have to have enough time in port. You can check the ferry schedules here: http://www.**********/general_usvi/i...o%20West%20End. Have fun.

Mark,

What was the total trip time to get to the island between the taxi and ferry ride?

Paula

Mark, I'm interested in the same info...how long is the ferry ride + taxi? And is a return taxi easily available from, say, the soggy dollar bar? Thanks much.

Chris

PS-Here's an alternate site with a ferry schedule.

http://www.b-v-i.com/JostVanDyke/

I'll chime in here. We were on a land vacation staying on St. John and took a boat ride to the Soggy Dollar. By far, one of my favorite days ever! They make their world famous "Painkiller" coconut drink. The bar was actually featured in a magazine as one of the World's best bars, but it is not overrun with people, very relaxing and fun. Have fun.

Annie

Archived