Bikinis and the middle aged woman!

mindy1957

I would say that as long as you heed what your friends tell you, age is not really a factor in MOST cases. Now, we have all seen the instances of shudders of course but most of our close friends will tell us something along the line of..get real girl lol. I have never had the body I felt comfortable in a bikini and have never liked working out, soooo...I stick to "cough" suits that wouldnt make other bathers go..OMG rofl.

I ws watchingone of those weight loss ads on TV this morning-you know the one with the before and afters-with the gal wearign the same style bikini in both pictures.

Ofocurse all the befores were "ugs" and I don't think there was a gal over 35 featured.

Anyone who is comfortable in a bikini should wear one. If I don't like something, I don't have to look at it, but I've never turned away from someone because of what they were, or were not wearing. If you're comfortable in your own skin, then that's fabulous and no one should tell you what you can and cannot do.

As far as I can tell, there are no bikini police :D

So what happens at 37????????? You suddenly look bad in a bikini? What utter rot!!

I was on holiday recently and saw at least 5 very young women, not over 26, all over 170 pounds with the fat hanging out of every hole in the bikini. It was disgusting. My last cruise, I saw quite a few older women, looking extremely good in bikinis, swimsuits. No fat, no wrinkly flesh.

Get with it - it's the body and nothing else that should decide whether you can wear something or not.

I'm 57 and plan to a bikini or two on my next cruise/Aruba vacation. I don't look "gross" at all. :D Everyone has different tolerances. I choose to wear what like and not judge those who make choices that I feel are inappropriate. The Europeons have such a relaxed attitude about their bodies, I've learned a lot from them.

At just past 50, I wear bikinis only in my nightmares :eek: . Am I jealous of those over-50s who can pull off a bikini? Dam straight I am!!

If I could lose weight and tone up, I would wear a bikini in a New York minute. I haven't been able to wear a bikini since my mid-30s and would absolutely love to do so again, if I could get in shape.

To those of you who have had the foresight to keep the weight off and stay in shape, more power to you!

Bonnie

At just past 50, I wear bikinis only in my nightmares :eek: . Am I jealous of those over-50s who can pull off a bikini? Dam straight I am!!

If I could lose weight and tone up, I would wear a bikini in a New York minute. I haven't been able to wear a bikini since my mid-30s and would absolutely love to do so again, if I could get in shape.

To those of you who have had the foresight to keep the weight off and stay in shape, more power to you!

Bonnie

Bonnie I am in the same boat as you. I just would not look attractive so I don't and actually I haven't worn a bikini since I had my daughter-I had a C-section and so had surgery scars that a bikini would not cover-but by the time I was around 32 or 33 I had gained weight so I would not have worn one anyway.

At around age 40 I lost 30 pounds so I could've again except for those scars-so like you I see nothing wrong with it-I would have.

WEAR THE BIKINI!!!!

50 is the new 35!!!

I say that because I am sure 35 is the new 25.....

I am 34, have 4 young daughters and have worked my @ss off the past 6 months (size 16 to a size 6), low carbing & working out, so that I could buy my very FIRST bikini ever!!!

My bikini life is starting now....I would hate to have done all this work, while juggling my 4 babies and my own business, if I need to wear moo moo suits in 3 years....37?? Are you kidding me??

You ladies and the hubby who posted pics are an inspiration....you are beautiful, strong, confident women who obviously make your health/fitness a priority in your lives, and everyone is busy, it is hard to do that, but you do and I hope that in 10, 15, 20 years I am you!!!

BE PROUD, WEAR IT!!

WEAR THE BIKINI!!!!

50 is the new 35!!!

I say that because I am sure 35 is the new 25.....

I am 34, have 4 young daughters and have worked my @ss off the past 6 months (size 16 to a size 6), low carbing & working out, so that I could buy my very FIRST bikini ever!!!

My bikini life is starting now....I would hate to have done all this work, while juggling my 4 babies and my own business, if I need to wear moo moo suits in 3 years....37?? Are you kidding me??

You ladies and the hubby who posted pics are an inspiration....you are beautiful, strong, confident women who obviously make your health/fitness a priority in your lives, and everyone is busy, it is hard to do that, but you do and I hope that in 10, 15, 20 years I am you!!!

BE PROUD, WEAR IT!!

You DESERVE to wear a bikini and and in a size 6 there no need to stop in 3 years, 10 years 20 years or even 30 years! Enjoy your new body and be proud!

I am 60 and still look good in a bikini. I weigh 145 pounds and am 5ft 7" When I look around at the humungous younger bodies near me, I don't worry about what I look like in a bikini.

Can anyone tell me why a woman weighing 175 + pounds wears a bikini?

Here are a few possibilities:

1. Because she doesn't care what other people think about her choices.

2. Because she feels good in it.

3. Because her partner thinks she's hot no matter what she wears.

4. Because she doesn't judge others by outward appearances and has the (naive) belief that others are the same way.

5. Because she is a woman and has the freedom to make choices that are right for her regardless of the lack of support she receives from her sisters.

Cookingchick, that is an amazing answer. Thank you.

Thanks, Nliedel!

And, while I'm up on this old soapbox, I'd like to add one more thing: those of you who use the words "fit" and "healthy" interchangeably are fooling yourselves. There's much more to health than being a size 4 or 6. I've seen many thin people who eat some god-awful junk and believe that since they're not overweight, they must be healthy.

Stacy and clinton says no one over 25 should wear miniskirts. I notice from your profile you are 30. Do you still wear miniskirts?

Stacy and Clinton say over 35 no mini skirts, not 25. I follow their advice religiously because I think it is very good advice. To me there's nothing worse than looking, say, 40 but shopping in the juniors department. Yes, I still wear mini skirts, but at 35 I plan to hang it up!! Wonder what their take on this bikini issue would be.

Oh of course you are so right! I'll buy a one piece with an attached skirt and cover up! Because at the great ole' age of 37 we should extinguish our beautiful spirit and succumb to a life of so-so. Thanx for the great advice.

P.S. check out my photos - If you still have the same opinion then you are just jealous. You haven't learned the power of beauty, brains and inner strength - along with the wisdom that you discover after 40 - I am nothing less than "woman". Having restrictions or boundaries of any kind will keep you from great success and financial independance in your life. You need a strong, successful woman as your mentor to reprogram your "old" way of thinking!

First of all, I am in no way jealous of you, and I do own a bikini. I own many more tankinis, which I prefer to wear. If you knew anything about fashion you would know there are very cute tankinis and 1 pieces out there, no one mentioned covering up in an old lady skirted number. My body looks as good as yours, I am just not a show off. I simply have a different opinion than you, as Prinycesa07 said, and that does not make me wrong or right. I just liken older women wearing bikinis to 40 somethings still shopping in the junior's department, after a while it starts to look ridiculous is my own opinion!

First off, thank you for the nice comments on my prior post. :)

Now, my opinion continued.......

I do hope you will make middle-age (and soon to be middle-age) women proud and show that the beauty of a woman's body isn't just found in taunt skinned 20 somethings...........true beauty is ageless.

Do tell us what you decided.........

We have pictures of my Grandmother from 30 years ago (age 58) in a two-piece (not a bikini) when on a trip to Hawaii. To me it is amazing how fantastic she looked! I've never been comfortable in a two-piece regardless of my age.

If you look good in it, wear it. :)

I think it's great that so many of you support your fellow women who choose to wear bikinis who are middle-aged! I also say go for it.

However, I also think it's extremely disheartening to find so many of the exact same women who support their older friends to wear bikinis so harshly judge plus-sized women.

I think it's great that so many of you support your fellow women who choose to wear bikinis who are middle-aged! I also say go for it.

However, I also think it's extremely disheartening to find so many of the exact same women who support their older friends to wear bikinis so harshly judge plus-sized women.

I agree. It's sort of a "Right on, fellow middle-ager, wear that bikini...but only if you fit my standards of what looks good." Is it any wonder that so many women in our country have issues with body image? And as I write that, it seems to me that those who place limitations on others about what size they should be in order to wear certain fashions have the biggest body image problems of all. So to all of you ladies out there who only want to see women of a certain size wearing a bikini, I hope that one day YOUR body image will improve enough so that you may be able to see the beauty in ALL bodies.

First of all, I am in no way jealous of you, and I do own a bikini. I own many more tankinis, which I prefer to wear. If you knew anything about fashion you would know there are very cute tankinis and 1 pieces out there, no one mentioned covering up in an old lady skirted number. My body looks as good as yours, I am just not a show off. I simply have a different opinion than you, as Prinycesa07 said, and that does not make me wrong or right. I just liken older women wearing bikinis to 40 somethings still shopping in the junior's department, after a while it starts to look ridiculous is my own opinion!

No one is referring to how you feel abouu your body-I would not wear a bikini either-but onlike you-I realize MANY women over the age of 37 look good in the bikini-but just as you have expressed about yourself-some women under the age of 37 really shouldn't. It is the "age 37" remark that you made that upset people -not whether you choose to wear one yourself.

Stacy and clinton says no one over 25 should wear miniskirts. I notice from your profile you are 30. Do you still wear miniskirts?

Stacy and Clinton say over 35 no mini skirts, not 25. I follow their advice religiously because I think it is very good advice. To me there's nothing worse than looking, say, 40 but shopping in the juniors department. Yes, I still wear mini skirts, but at 35 I plan to hang it up!! Wonder what their take on this bikini issue would be.

Watch those shows closer. Just this past week on a daytime rerun Stacey told a 28 year old she was TOO OLD for mini skirts. I know they show that sign in the show clips-but many, many times I have seen them tell a woman in her late twenties she was TOO OLD for a mini skirt and to stop dressing like a hoochie mama.

Watch those shows closer. Just this past week on a daytime rerun Stacey told a 28 year old she was TOO OLD for mini skirts. I know they show that sign in the show clips-but many, many times I have seen them tell a woman in her late twenties she was TOO OLD for a mini skirt and to stop dressing like a hoochie mama.

If Stacey & Clinton say so on TV it must be the rule. After all they are the worlds fashion experts <wink>.

As a man nearing 49 should my husband wear a t-shirt at the pool/beach even though he has a flat stomach and nice pecs?

Thanks, Nliedel!

And, while I'm up on this old soapbox, I'd like to add one more thing: those of you who use the words "fit" and "healthy" interchangeably are fooling yourselves. There's much more to health than being a size 4 or 6. I've seen many thin people who eat some god-awful junk and believe that since they're not overweight, they must be healthy.

I assure you I know the meaning of both. Many of us actually practice what we preach. ;)

I agree. It's sort of a "Right on, fellow middle-ager, wear that bikini...but only if you fit my standards of what looks good." Is it any wonder that so many women in our country have issues with body image? And as I write that, it seems to me that those who place limitations on others about what size they should be in order to wear certain fashions have the biggest body image problems of all. So to all of you ladies out there who only want to see women of a certain size wearing a bikini, I hope that one day YOUR body image will improve enough so that you may be able to see the beauty in ALL bodies.

Not sure where this went off....but I don't think the intent was ever to place any limitations on anyone. If you want to wear a bikini, go wear one! The thread started about AGE and bikinis. Let's not turn this into something is isn't, okay?? Sheesh.

Archived