Comments on Millennium October cruise and response

iandjm

Hi Ian,

I think you have every right to place your opinions, and I read your letter. I am really sorry for your experience. You sound like a perfectionist (like me - so I understand). I am sure that if your room was up to standard, being more lenient on X for the areas where the public go (therefore much higher traffic) would be easier to do, but mould et al in the bathroom is not acceptable in MHO. I understand your feelings!

DW and I are on the Milli in a year - so I hope that these things will be cleared up in the next 12 months, or else it will be interesting! :p

The problem is that no travel company/airline etc will give refunds/credits to people AFTER the completion of a trip. You need to be persistent and clear whilst on the trip, then they are forced to act as you are there and are waiting for your complaint to be heard and taken seriously. Even just a chat and a sypathetic ear goes a long way, as you know that they will do their best to fix the problem for the guests who are soon to travel.

In terms of the damaged art - I doubt that it will be fixed as I assume that the artist would need to fix it... so X could only have it removed and replaced. Unless, it was MEANT to be broken! Perhaps it is the artist making a statement about our world.... so fragile!

I hope that you can remember the great things about X and I suggest that you try again if you are willing.:)

Mark.

Hey,

I had a meeting with the front of house manager on the ship, and raised all the points I have made in my letter. I am hoping that things may be improved on Millennium in the future.

Ian

Ian, I too defend your right to comment on how you found the ship. I was on Millennium earlier in October 2007 and repeat here a post I made in another thead.

We sailed on Millennium October 07 for two weeks, first cruise. Overall, we really enjoyed the ship, food great, service great and public areas generally very good with evidence of a lot of new carpet. I have to say we were disappointed with the condition of our cabin in relation to what we were expecting and certainly compared to the sort of hotel we would stay in or even at home! The carpet was worn and stained, the net curtains torn in several places. Curtains also torn and linings covered in black marks from being caught in doors. The day cover on the bed was very worn and "bally" as was the cover of the settee. The coffee table was damaged and worn. The sliding doors to the balcony didn't seal well resulting in a whistle when at sea, the windows were always dirty and opaque, we had to ask for the balcony seats to be cleaned as they were dirty. The whole cabin and bathroom was "tired" to a level below what we expected of Celebrity, corroded light fittings, mirror silvering coming off round edges, broken soap dispensers. Ready for a total revamp and third rate in comparison to the rest of the ship. We didn't dwell on it though and it didn't spoil our cruise but it is a factor I would take into account when cruising again.

You are right about various comments on the condition of other parts of the ship, below standard maintenance for a cruise line of the standard that Celebrity claims to be. The theatre looks terrible with the lights up, very grubby and worn. the ship needs a refurbishment but more importantly, attention to ongoing maintenance requirements. I noticed the lights out/broken, tarpaulin over the dome, poor caulking and other issues. We didnt let it spoil our cruise but it should be better!

Ian, I too defend your right to comment on how you found the ship. I was on Millennium earlier in October 2007 and repeat here a post I made in another thead.

We sailed on Millennium October 07 for two weeks, first cruise. Overall, we really enjoyed the ship, food great, service great and public areas generally very good with evidence of a lot of new carpet. I have to say we were disappointed with the condition of our cabin in relation to what we were expecting and certainly compared to the sort of hotel we would stay in or even at home! The carpet was worn and stained, the net curtains torn in several places. Curtains also torn and linings covered in black marks from being caught in doors. The day cover on the bed was very worn and "bally" as was the cover of the settee. The coffee table was damaged and worn. The sliding doors to the balcony didn't seal well resulting in a whistle when at sea, the windows were always dirty and opaque, we had to ask for the balcony seats to be cleaned as they were dirty. The whole cabin and bathroom was "tired" to a level below what we expected of Celebrity, corroded light fittings, mirror silvering coming off round edges, broken soap dispensers. Ready for a total revamp and third rate in comparison to the rest of the ship. We didn't dwell on it though and it didn't spoil our cruise but it is a factor I would take into account when cruising again.

You are right about various comments on the condition of other parts of the ship, below standard maintenance for a cruise line of the standard that Celebrity claims to be. The theatre looks terrible with the lights up, very grubby and worn. the ship needs a refurbishment but more importantly, attention to ongoing maintenance requirements. I noticed the lights out/broken, tarpaulin over the dome, poor caulking and other issues. We didnt let it spoil our cruise but it should be better!

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. That is exactly my point too. When you pay for a premium produce, and get a tired poorly maintained stateroom etc it really leaves you feeling let down. It's even worse when the defects you are seeing were visable back in 2004 too.

Regards

Ian

I had read this post before I went on the Millie and I thought it was someone being to picky. Boy I was wrong!! It was the worst vacation land or sea we have ever had. This was our 15th anniversary trip and I was so excited to try celebrity. I was totally disappointed. The boat needs a total overhaul. Our bed spreads were stained, our toliet ran over in our bathroom (we called 4 times to have this fixed but my husband had to go to guest services after nobody ever showed up to handle this problem.

We smelled sewage all day everywhere on the boat!! Gross!

Also, there was no life to this cruise. Many nights before and after dinner we would go have a drink in a lounge and we would be the only people in the lounge. There was no music playing just silience.The only lounge with any people was the Martini bar. We thought this was a shame because the other bars were just dead! After days of trying to find something to do, my husband ended up working from his computer and I watched tv. But the programs on tv were just played over and over again.no good movies etc.

We are in our 40's and enjoy relaxing and some quite time but this took quite time to extreme. We enjoy being around all different age groups but this cruise seemed to be geared towards a much older crowd.

We love to travel and have enjoyed every cruise on Princess and Disney. We expected Celebrity to be a step above Princess and did not take our son on this cruise (thank goodness) so we could enjoy the spa and dining with each other.

I am sorry to say this cruise did not meet our expectations and we felt Princess did a much better job with their spa, dining and entertainment.

I wish I could have another week to redo our anniversary trip on another cruise.

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. A week earlier, all the bars were hoping. I posted a few pics that show the dance floors with many people on them. Cosmos didn't start up until around midnight but there was always a decent crowd.

To be honest, I always go to bed VERY early (I am an early riser) and two nights during my Millie cruise a week earlier, I didn't leave the bar until after 4 am.

It is amazing to me how much the dynamics change from cruise to cruise. I sincerely hope you have a better crowd on your next cruise.

One final note, I found it interesting that the ages during my cruise varied so much. There were a lot more older and a lot more younger cruisers than I had expected. I don't know why, but I had expected many more middle aged cruisers.

Archived