Who has used the local train in Villefranche?

We will be in Villefranche on a weekday (Splendour of the Seas 10/16/04) and want to use the trains to go to Nice and Monte Carlo. I checked out the schedule and it seems easy but.... you never know until you've done it! Who has done it before and can give us some tips?

Thanks!

Kathleen,

It is very very easy.

To go to either Nice or Monte Carlo, you first have to got to the ticket office and buy a ticket. They speak good english so you'll be ok there.

When aproaching the station you go up the steps and through the tunnel to the ticket office. When you have bought your ticket, you need to validate it for travel that day by punching it into the machine on the wall outside the office. This is important as if you are stopped on the train with an unvalidated ticket, you will be fined.

For Monte Carlo stay on the same platform as the ticket office and for Nice, walk back through the tunnel to the other platform.

The trains run about every 20 minutes.

have fun

Andy

Thanks Mike and Andy. I checked out the train schedules at the sncf web site and saw that the train to Monaco also stops at Eze. Do you know how far the train stations are from the town centers (Nice, Eze, Monaco)? Is it walkable?

There is too much to do in one day,

we are planning to go to Monaco first, tour the palace, maybe the aquarium and the Cafe du Paris and then head back to Eze to see the walled portion of town and then continue to Nice to stroll the old town and the Promenade des Anglais. Is that too much for one day? What would you suggest as a "must see"?

thanks for the input!

We took the train from Nice to Monaco this past summer, and I believe your timetable is correct. The train goes through several tunnels, thus not following the curves of the coastline. It is about 10 minutes from Nice to Villefranche, maybe 7-8 minutes from Villefranche to Eze and another 10 or so on to Monaco. It is incredibly easy to do.

MissM

You read the schedules right. It is just a short trip to Eze/MC and back to Villefranche/Nice. I have read many reviews and postings and am going to do it via local train/guide book.

(thanks for the info, these boards are great!)

I am still looking for input as to how far the train stations are from town centers/points of interest. Any ideas?

Kathleen,

The train station in Monte Carlo is underground, under Monte Carlo itself. when you get off the train and go up the steps, turn right and take the elevator to the town or turn left and go out onto the promenade. Here you can take a bus that will take you up to the palace.

Andy

I am having a hard time trying to read the train schedule. Can someone help me?? How do I find out the schedule for Villefranche and Monte Carlo... or Eze? Please help :) I have gone into the English version of the web site... do I need to put in my date and times of departure? I am not sure when I want to leave or when I will be going... is there a way to just find out the daily schedule for Sept 24th?? help

Don't get yourself wound up, holidays are for relaxinging with no stress.

When you tender in just stoll to the station, the trains are every 20 minutes so if you have missed one another will be along shortly. The view is fantastic, so just relax and take in the view whilst you are waiting for the train to come. When you get to wherever you are going, call at the ticket desk and ask what time the trains return around when you want to get back and go for the one of your choice. If like us you are in for quite a while there will be no rush to get back.

Enjoy

Kathleen,

The train station in Monte Carlo is underground, under Monte Carlo itself. when you get off the train and go up the steps, turn right and take the elevator to the town or turn left and go out onto the promenade. Here you can take a bus that will take you up to the palace.

Andy

thanks Andy,

I read that the train station is only 300 meters from the palace. Would the elevator or the promenade be the more direct route? (or am I looking at the wrong train station on the map?)

Kathleen

p.s. to all readers

go to http://www.monaco-tourisme.com, (there is an english site button)

then hit the "DTC" then "contact and request of document" and they will send you FREE of Charge maps, brousures with discount coupons etc.

great for all of us who want to do it on our own! ;)

I am having a hard time trying to read the train schedule. Can someone help me?? How do I find out the schedule for Villefranche and Monte Carlo... or Eze? Please help :) I have gone into the English version of the web site... do I need to put in my date and times of departure? I am not sure when I want to leave or when I will be going... is there a way to just find out the daily schedule for Sept 24th?? help

I had a problem with the english site, but the french site was fine. Don't worry, just put in departure, arrival , date and time even in French it is pretty straight forward. (I put in 9.00 and got a listing for times between ca. 8.57 and 10.00 o'clock) You have to do seperate searches, use a 24 hour clock (for example: 2 pm is 14.00) One for Villefranche-Eze another for Eze-Monaco yet another for Monaco-Villefranche.... But from what I have read, the trains go regularly every 20-30 minutes so don't worry about it too much. As Andy wrote (thanks!) just ask when you buy your ticket.

By the way, does anyone know if there is a all-day ticket or do we have to buy one for each leg of the trip?

Kathleen,

yes the palace is a managable walk from the station. Exit left and come onto the promenade. You can take a look at the fabulous boats and their posy occupants as you walk along to the palace. It is quite a steep climb to the palace, so if someone is not too good walking, you can catch a bus from just outside the station front entrance.

• 2 weeks later...

We just did this Sep 12 off of the Brilliance; it was a Sunday, so the schedules may have been different-about once an hour to Eze/Monaco. The train going to Monte Carlo was standing room only. Bought a round trip which included the stop back in Eze. Eze sur Mer is a long way from Eze. We found a taxi for 25 euros for 4. Took a taxi back to Villefrance from Eze for 35 euros. Train station is just past the buildings in Villefranche-going right off of ship. Pretty concealed, but other people will be going there also. Very enjoyable except for the cattle car experience going to Monaco.

Archived