Will There Be a Third "Big Sister" For The Triplets?

PeaSea8ch

Tonight in my mailbox was the February issue of Cruise Travel magazine. On page 14 is a listing of newbuildings scheduled for delivery in 2008 - 2012. For a spring 2009 debut was the Seabourn Odyssey at 32,000 gross tonnage, 450 passengers and with the largest passenger space ratio of all other new ships. For spring 2010 was the expected Seabourn Unnamed newbuild.

However, for a summer 2011 delivery, there is a third Seabourn Unnamed ship listed of the same size, passenger capacity and passenger space ratio as the Odyssey. Could this be a misprint or have I missed a major announcement that there will be three big sisters joining the family? The list shows the Odyssey and 2010 newbuild are priced in US$ while the 2011 newbuild is priced in Euros.

While the triplets are not the newest ships, and there probably will be some modifications/updates needed nearer to 2010 with the new SOLAS regs coming into play. Also there is a very limited market for the smaller triplets and there (as seen by some) limitations. Added to that is the desire not to assist the competition (old or startup). So it may well be a matter of whether it makes economic sense to sell or to simply maintain and market them for unique itineraries, charters, etc.

Also, I don't think anyone in the business has such a clear crystal ball as to know what the US and World economies are going to bring in the next 2-3 years. That alone may be a very interesting ride.

The various upcoming luxury new builds were ordered on the premise that retiring baby boomers, awash in cash from housing and stock sales, would spend their retirement days sailing the world. I'm wondering what will happen if that rosy scenario does not come to pass?

The various upcoming luxury new builds were ordered on the premise that retiring baby boomers, awash in cash from housing and stock sales, would spend their retirement days sailing the world. I'm wondering what will happen if that rosy scenario does not come to pass?

Very interesting to see what will happen indeed!

Thank you everyone for your prompt replies. I agree that the ultimate fate of the "little triplets" will strictly be a business decision. So, I truly hope to be able to "give the business" to the little triplets for at least several years to come! :D

I couldn't agree more Paul! I hope we will be able to do the same.

But if in the end Seabourn will sell the triplets, I think there could be a possibility they would go to Seadream, as the refitting makes them look a lot like the Seadream Yachts (just bigger).

Marja

There were rumors last summer that Sea Dream Co-owners Atle Brynestad and Larry Pimentel (former owners of Seabourn) were shopping to build a new Sea Dream Yacht III ~~~

I hope our three Sisters will stay in service for many years to come.

So many loyal and faithful Seabourn guests want to stay aboard the smaller ships ~~including me! I look forward to sailing on the Odyssey, but I'll return to the "Yachts.":p

Martita B.

Archived