Opinions of Things to do in Cherbourg

My opinion: do an excursion!

We were in Cherbourg in late September 2007, diverted at the last minute from Guernsey. It's not a bad town, just not a touristy or especially interesting place. It was a Sunday as well which didn't help. We walked into town; wandered around the town; found a park at the end of town that wasn't bad; walked around a bit more; and then went back to the ship. The contrast from the previous day, when we had been in Honfleur and had visited Bayeux, was considerable.

I suspect the real problem is that the northern end of the Cotentin peninsula isn't that interesting; hence the reason why the excursions don't look that attractive. So I would suggest either a) find an excursion that looks at least moderately interesting; b) hire a car and just drive around for a while; or c) make this a day to use the ship's facilities, e.g. a serious visit to the spa....

We rented a car from National car rental near the pier and went to the Normandy beaches, had lunch at Courseilles sur Mer, saw the Tapistry in Bayeux and went to the War Memorial in Caen. Would love to have gone to Mont Michel but no time. Driving was easy on good roads. When we returned the car we took a stroll through the downtown area and back to ship. Great day.

Archived