Drink Prices on Star?

Lovergirl

How much is the average mixed drink on the Star (like a rum and coke)? Specialty drinks (like a pina colada)? Is there a price difference when you order on the pool deck vs. the specialty restaurants vs. the bars/lounges?? What about pop or coffee?

We are contemplating the bar-set up, but for 2 bottles of hard liquor and no mix we are looking at $100. Not sure if it's worth it or not...any and all advice from seasoned cuisers is so appreciated!

Kim

How much is the average mixed drink on the Star (like a rum and coke)? Specialty drinks (like a pina colada)? Is there a price difference when you order on the pool deck vs. the specialty restaurants vs. the bars/lounges?? What about pop or coffee?

We are contemplating the bar-set up, but for 2 bottles of hard liquor and no mix we are looking at $100. Not sure if it's worth it or not...any and all advice from seasoned cuisers is so appreciated!

Kim

Mixed drinks like a Rum and coke will be around $4.85 in a regular sized glass, same with a typical pina coloda. Be careful, sometimes they will give you the souvenir sized glass, which adds a few bucks to the price.

Pop is about $2.01 (after autotip) and coffee is free all day except at the Java cafe (specialty coffees). You can get coffee from the blue Lagoon, and the buffet areas whenever you want.

Mixed drinks like a Rum and coke will be around $4.85 in a regular sized glass, same with a typical pina coloda. Be careful, sometimes they will give you the souvenir sized glass, which adds a few bucks to the price.

Pop is about $2.01 (after autotip) and coffee is free all day except at the Java cafe (specialty coffees). You can get coffee from the blue Lagoon, and the buffet areas whenever you want.

Are you sure on those highball prices? I thought I'd seen a liquor menu that listed them at $5.75... although I drink Crown Royal, so maybe that's for a premium highball. My bar set up cost me $55 for a bottle, plus the $3 set up fee, and I definitely think it's worth it. The bottles are 1 litre, so you definitely save money compared to bar prices. The question is simply whether you will consume it. If not, then it's probably not worth it.

Edit: Don't forget about the autotip, also. Any drinks purchased at the bar incur a 15% (I think) autotip, so add that to the $4.75 or $5.75.

I agree with you CanadianTwosome...I think the bar-setup is the way to go, judging from the prices quoted, thanks cliffd64. I think I'll bring an insulated water bottle and travel coffee cup to bring back and forth from the room/buffet for coffee/drinks. Have you bought pop/mix in port and brought it on with you?? That would save some $$ too.

KIM

I agree with you CanadianTwosome...I think the bar-setup is the way to go, judging from the prices quoted, thanks cliffd64. I think I'll bring an insulated water bottle and travel coffee cup to bring back and forth from the room/buffet for coffee/drinks. Have you bought pop/mix in port and brought it on with you?? That would save some $$ too.

KIM

On our last cruise, we brought on a case of soda and a case of water. We intend to do the same on this cruise - and we've also packed some single serving packets of kool-aid because our daughter doesn't drink carbonated beverages and she dislikes US style iced tea (which I realize is REAL iced tea... but up here we have a sugary facsimile that really doesn't taste much like 'actual' tea...). She's a great water drinker, and will drink milk at meals, but I think it's nice to have a little flavour once in a while if you want it. :)

I agree with you about the REAL iced tea...yuck! Our Canadian style "Brisk" is so much better!! :)

Do you buy your cases when you get to the port? Obviously you're not bringing them down through customs...where do you usually get them? We are flying into LAX and staying at the Crowne Plaza in San Pedro, so not sure if there is any mini-mart etc. around there. Did your cruise line give you a hard time bringing that onboard?

Thanks for your advice.

KIM

Archived