Weather in March

We arrive in Auckland on March 7 then Tauranga, Christchurch, Dunedin, cruising the Fjordland Park, Hobart, Melbourne and ending in Sydney. Basically we're there most of March. Looking at a world map just in no way gives you an ideal way to tell distance but it kind of looks to me like as much distance as say Vancouver, BC Canada to Los Angeles.

The difference in the weather as you travel down the coast here is extremely varied so I'm trying to figure out what to expect for the weather. I've got old ones and young ones that don't need to get sick because we packed wrong. So what I'm trying to figure out, should we pack shorts and tank tops or jeans and sweatshirts or both. Everyone already got a throw away rain coat and umbrella for Christmas, just in case. :D Santa was looking out for them.

I think you are going to have to be prepared for both warm/hot and cooler weather on your cruise. Sydney in March is still quite warm - daytime temeratures are generally in the mid-20's (and sometimes well into the 30's) - but on the other hand, it is likely to be much cooler on NZ's South Island and Hobart - Dunedin for example averages around 17 in March. Even for our NZ cruise in February, when I expect to be wearing shorts and t-shirts every day, I will pack jeans and a jacket (a light weight one though) just in case!

Cheers

Bob

We did the Sydney to LA cruise last April and it was very warm crossing the Tasman but when we sailed through the Fjordland it was very cool.

People were dressed in rain gear and didn't spend too much time on deck.

People thought we were crazy because we sat in a hot tub at the back of the ship as we cruised through the Fjords - it was spectacular.

M and A,

What a great idea...hot tub in the fjords!! But only if the water was hot...lukewarm in cool air is not my idea of comfort. When we last did the Milford Sounds (in June), it was freezing cold and raining, so cool (and, hopefully, sunny) sounds great to me!

March in Melboure is the best month of the year. It is usually warm during the day and cooler at night with very little rain. We don't have humid weather so it will be usually around 22-29C, which is between 74F to 88F.

Bring a light jacket in case it is windy and a bit cooler, the best idea is to dress in layers.

Jennie

Everyone asks about the weather in March - what about bugs or other poisonous things you need to watch out for.

What bugs and poisonous things are you referring to. You don't mean our snakes, red backed spiders, funnel web spiders, jelly fish, etc!!!

Unless you get out into the countryside or the outback you are not going to see any of the above in our cities.

Jennie

I live in Tauranga area and can tell you that our temps are the hottest in years mid 30's C Feb-March are the hottest months even in the South Island, but begins to cool off by mid March and the wet wether is likely to begin, may need the odd swetshrt but not cold enough for heavy coats until End of April-May

Thanks for all the answers. I'll pack more shorts. That's good news, as I was beginning think we'd be a little chilly at times. Bringing the throw away umbrella and rain coat for the balcony just in case. Bought snuggly clothes for the 6 mo old and alcohol for the older ones to warm us when we don't have enough warm clothes. :D Woo Hoo.... almost time.

Archived