BONINE! & other sickness meds! help!!

clairey21

What are the best meds for nausea and things like sea sickness?

Promethazine (avomine) leaves me feeling lifeless and stugeron makes me tired!!

Is there any that dont cause drowsiness or give you tummy ache?

I have ordered bonine!! what are your views on that? :)

Thanks alot!!:)

I get motion sickness, land or sea and on my first cruise last fall, I took one Bonine tablet everymorning of the cruise and had NO problems. I take a number of Prescription meds and the Patch was way too much, as was dramamine. My advice: take one Bonine as soon as you get it, see how you do as far as drowsiness. If it is ok, take enough bonine on your cruise for two pills a day, just in case you need more. Better to have too much! I suggest you take one THE DAY you leave port. I sure hth.

Malinda/micropooz

PS Our ship had two very rough nights and I was fine, other than almost falling out of bed!

• 4 months later...

My first cruise I took nothing and found out the hard way that I needed something. The pursers desk was nice enough to give me Bonine, and from that day on I took one pill every morning. We had rough seas throughout the trip, and I never got sick again. It really works! Now I make sure I have a supply with me, and I start taking 1 pill a day before the cruise, and up to a week after getting off the ship just to make sure. (I was still feeling the motion afterwards) It does not make you drowsy which is why I like it too, and having a beer or glass of wine did not bother me at all.

Have a great trip and get some Bonine!

• 3 weeks later...

I have been on 2 cruises and I wore the patch both times. I would like not to wear the patch this time if I could ( I'm not crazy about the side effects )but I'm afraid it won't work real well and I would rather put up with the side effects with the patch than get sea sick. I wonder if I should just try bonine and bring the patch with me in case I need it. What do you guys think?

HI

I am a truly sea sick person. But have a Husband that is a Captain and an avid cruiser.

The patch is wonderful , but I can not tolerate the side effects severe dehydration. Dramamine does nothing but make me drowsy

Bonine is wonderful, sometimes need to take 2 tablets. This is the same medication people with Vertigo take. It is the inner ear that gives the sensation as in Vertigo.

The wrist bands also help but I would not use without Bonine.

Eileen

HI

I am a truly sea sick person. But have a Husband that is a Captain and an avid cruiser.

The patch is wonderful , but I can not tolerate the side effects severe dehydration. Dramamine does nothing but make me drowsy

Bonine is wonderful, sometimes need to take 2 tablets. This is the same medication people with Vertigo take. It is the inner ear that gives the sensation as in Vertigo.

The wrist bands also help but I would not use without Bonine.

Eileen

Eileen

You don't get sick at all with bonine? Which wrist bands do you mean. My niece was pregnant on our last cruise and she wore the wrist band with the batteries. She didn't leave it on all the time but I would have to if that is all I did. I even get very sick turning around in a car to talk to people.I get dizzy easy with my allergies even on land so I am afraid not to take the patch but I would prefer not to. I think it's my allergies that make it worse for me.

Agree with the previous comments on Bonine...all of the effects of Dramamine without the side affects. Most travel or drug stores carry the armbands for about $10. They are supposed to activate the acupressure points in the wrists that prevent nausea. If you are sensitive in cars, try out both prior to sailing to see how well they work and always be sure to check for drug interactions with your prescription meds. Ginger works well for some people so drink ginger ale during the day or try ginger capsules (readily available in drugstores and health food stores) as well. You should be able to find the magic formula for you. I'm an RN and routinely take Bonine in the morning if the seas are rough. On most Caribbean cruises (except in rough seas) I don't need anything as long as the ship has good stabilizers (missing on my last cruise :( )

Agree with the previous comments on Bonine...all of the effects of Dramamine without the side affects. Most travel or drug stores carry the armbands for about $10. They are supposed to activate the acupressure points in the wrists that prevent nausea. If you are sensitive in cars, try out both prior to sailing to see how well they work and always be sure to check for drug interactions with your prescription meds. Ginger works well for some people so drink ginger ale during the day or try ginger capsules (readily available in drugstores and health food stores) as well. You should be able to find the magic formula for you. I'm an RN and routinely take Bonine in the morning if the seas are rough. On most Caribbean cruises (except in rough seas) I don't need anything as long as the ship has good stabilizers (missing on my last cruise :( )

lilygrace

The bonine works for me and my one motion sickness prone son also.

The wrists bands are the accupressure ones. The bonine will work with out the bands I gave the bands to my son this time and the bonine was fine and we had some rough seas. I can not do any rides in the amusement parks that go around even the ferrris wheel and carousel make me ill.

Try the bonine at home. I may try it next time if I want to read in a moving vechicle . Never been able to do that without getting ill

Eileen

lilygrace

The bonine works for me and my one motion sickness prone son also.

The wrists bands are the accupressure ones. The bonine will work with out the bands I gave the bands to my son this time and the bonine was fine and we had some rough seas. I can not do any rides in the amusement parks that go around even the ferrris wheel and carousel make me ill.

Try the bonine at home. I may try it next time if I want to read in a moving vechicle . Never been able to do that without getting ill

Eileen

Thanks Eileen,

I think I will try reading in the car with the Bonine to see how it works. Good idea. Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

We did the Disney Cruise in Feb/2005, and the first night was extremely rough! The captain met us coming out of the dining room and sent us to Guest Services for " Sea Calm". It worked quickly without drowsiness and we were fine after that. I wish I would have kept one of the packets to read the ingredients. We also bring gingerale for the room and gingersnap cookies.

I'm worried about sea sickness for our cruise on the Carnival Sensation in 2-1/2 weeks.

My 13 y.o. daughter just finished her scuba dive certification this past weekend and she got sick during all of the dives (from the shore and from the boat). I gave her ginger pills and Bonine (even starting the night before, for the boat trip). She still got sick!

I'm nervous of how sick she'll be on the cruise (I've read on these boards recently that there can be a lot of motion on the Sensation), as well as her getting sick on the small boat we'll be taking in Cozumel for the dive / snorkel excursion!

I guess the patch and sea bands will be what we try next. I really didn't like the sounds of the side effects of the patch.

Any other ideas?

Hi

I'm from the Uk and have never heard of Bonine - is it only available in the US/Canada?

What is the ingredient it contains? Maybe I could find something here in the UK containing the same drug.

We are sailing with our 2 kids (9 and 10) in the Caribbean in Dec 05

The last time we sailed both hubby and I were fine (he was real sick on our first cruise on the Med), without any drugs.

Daughter gets car sick - within 10 minutes, so I'm a bit concerned for her. She however has NO trouble on amusement rides:rolleyes: Go figure!!

thanks

Can' remember the active ingredient in Bonine but it's a typical motion sickness drug. Any pharmacist should be able to help you. Be very careful giving children (even teens) adult medications. Check with your physician or other health care provider before sailing and obtain either a prescription or a recommendation for over the counter drugs. None of these is without side effects.

I've found that cruise lines often provide both Bonine and Dramamine gratis at the guest relations desk and Bonine has worked well for me. Just be sure to check about interactions if you are routinely taking other medications.

In case you can't tell, I'm an RN

Hi

I'm from the Uk and have never heard of Bonine - is it only available in the US/Canada?

What is the ingredient it contains? Maybe I could find something here in the UK containing the same drug.

SqueakyDust, try looking for something that has either of these in it: buclizine, cyclizine, or meclizine

I believe that Bonine is the meclizine but I've got to check my packet :)

I have never needed to take anything for motion sickness but my wife has. Bonine made her so drowsy that she pretty much missed out on most of Curacao by napping into the afternoon. No, we were not up partying all night. She stopped taking it after that and enjoyed the rest of the cruise without any trouble.

Try taking it at home for a day or two before going on the cruise. Like others, you might be just fine taking Bonine. But if you do encounter any side effects then they may be worse than the motion sickness itself, so don’t take it unless you have to. When on board, figure out if you have a genuine inner-ear issue with the motion or if you have just convinced yourself psychologically that you should be nauseous because you are at sea.

our very night on our very first cruise we hit tropical storm Marty. Some one said the waves were 12 feet high. Some said it had to be higher. Bonine, dramamine didn't help anyone. Those who had it just had to see the onboard doctor for a shot. They said it helped sooooo much. We were fine having grown up on the Chesapeake Bay. Sleeping was another thing. We slept poorly when the ship rolled. We were like walking zombies for the first day. Once the ocean quieted, we did ok.

• 3 weeks later...

Is Bonine something you need a dr prescription for? Or can I just walk into Walmart & find it on the shelf?

Also I'm a heart patient (take Coumadin, baby aspirin & will start a new one today called Cardizen), I failed to ask the heart dr yesterday about motion sickness meds... although a few years ago when I asked before our first cruise he said that anything would be fine. (at least I *think* that's what he said, lol) I don't really get too sick - just feel woozy at times - but I want to be prepared just in case. What's your opinion on this?

Archived