From ship to town in Dublin

warmwinds

Typically when the ship docs a little ways from the downtown area, Celebrity always offers a shuttle (sorry, don't know what the cost would be). We were in Dublin with Princess this past summer and they had a shuttle that I think cost $7.50 each way. Some passengers caught a cab and that was probably a better idea since the shuttles had a long wait time and you were limited in where you got dropped off.

I want to say I paid around 10 euros to get from the Century to the Malloy Malone statue/Trinity College area.

Be warned that the traffic in Dublin is AWFUL! Very AWFUl! Extremely AWFUL!! So if your planning to do Dublin on your own, please watch your time.

We were on the Connie TA in Sept. Celebrity provided a shuttle from port to Dublin at $10 each person. We chose to walk as had read on these boards it was a pleasant 20minute walk. 20minute my - - -. :rolleyes: DH and I walk 3 miles daily and let me tell you our walk to Trinity College took closer to 45 min. Maybe even an hour returning. However, that's not to say we wouldn't do it again. We were walking past the shuttle which was sitting in traffic. The beginning walk is in a very industrial section of town even when you exit the port (very uneven surfaces too) but the closer you got to the city it became quite pleasant. We took the hop on hop off shuttle once we got to town and that was a terrific way to see everything we wanted. It's a great city. Loved it. Have fun.

We were on the Connie TA in Sept. Celebrity provided a shuttle from port to Dublin at $10 each person. We chose to walk as had read on these boards it was a pleasant 20minute walk. 20minute my - - -. :rolleyes: DH and I walk 3 miles daily and let me tell you our walk to Trinity College took closer to 45 min. Maybe even an hour returning. However, that's not to say we wouldn't do it again. We were walking past the shuttle which was sitting in traffic. The beginning walk is in a very industrial section of town even when you exit the port (very uneven surfaces too) but the closer you got to the city it became quite pleasant. We took the hop on hop off shuttle once we got to town and that was a terrific way to see everything we wanted. It's a great city. Loved it. Have fun.

20 minute walk?! LMAO! You most likely didn't even make it across the bridge in 20 minutes. The Hoho buses are great. I will 2nd this as a suggestion, if you haven't been to Dublin before. For some reason the city is easy to get turned around.

Also O'neals just down from the Malone statue is a GREAT place to eat.

I just looked at my copy of the Constellation's Celebrity Today and the cost of the shuttle from the ship to Kildare Street outside of the National Library was $16 for the day. As others have reported, the traffic in Dublin that morning was horrendous and after sitting through several changes in the traffic lights about two blocks away from O'Connell Street and the pickup point for the Hop on Hop off bus, a number of us left the shuttle and walked the rest of the way. That estimate of a twenty minute walk from the ship to downtown Dublin is extremely optimistic, so traffic aside, the shuttle is the way to go. We are doing another TA this September and will be revisiting Dublin so those sites that we did not get to visit last year will be our priorities this year.:)

Thanks everyone for some GREAT info, but reading these answers brings me to a (serious) question:

If the traffic is that bad, how does the HOHO bus get anywhere?

We wanted to take it to get around to see the sights, not to sit in traffic on board it!

Once you get into the city center it's not that bad. The main road that runs along the river is the busiest. Which is the road that runs from the ship to downtown.

I prefer to walk around Dublin vs the HOHO buses. If you haven't been before they are great to learn the area. But really and truly most of the places you would want to see are within walking distance (few blocks of each other). I had no problem in walking from Trinity to Christ Church and around. Even with a very bad back and ankle. Just have a really good map as like I said earlier it's easy to get turned around.

Archived