hotels in anchorage

UF G8R

Take alook at when you will be there. Anytime after early June the prices go up. Most people stay either downtown or uptown. The Diamond Center area you are talking about is located even futher past uptown but in a nice area. Most cruisers like to stay down town where access to the railstation is convient. In July of 2005 I did some bids on priceline and acturally got a winning bid of around $110 for the Sheraton. (Downtown) I have heard of some buget folks talk about the Ramda off of Maldoon Road. That area is way north closer to Elemdorf AFB and Ft. Richardson. I think you can get that place around $70 a night. You might check out "trip advisor" and read some reviews before doing any bookings. I hope this information helps. Tim

You might check out "trip advisor" and read some reviews before doing any bookings

When checking trip advisor, realize that all reviews are subjective and make sure you have at least a dozen reviews for a certain hotel before placing too much weight on the reviews. Some places have either very negative or very positive reviews that are not justified. Realize too that, as much as trip advisor tries to prohibit it, reviews are often posted by the hotels themselves (positive) or by their competitors (negative).

For example, the Ramada on Muldoon sometimes gets negative reviews. I have stayed there and it is perfectly adequate if you are not wanting luxury or a hotel near the airport or downtown. In fact, it is very convenient to the road toward Denali and toward Seward, near a large supermarket for shopping, has a free shuttle, and more.

John

When checking trip advisor, realize that all reviews are subjective and make sure you have at least a dozen reviews for a certain hotel before placing too much weight on the reviews. Some places have either very negative or very positive reviews that are not justified. Realize too that, as much as trip advisor tries to prohibit it, reviews are often posted by the hotels themselves (positive) or by their competitors (negative).

John

As with most sights it is a good idea to check how many posts the author of the review has written. If they only have a couple of reviews you may not want to trust them as much as someone who has many reviews for multiple locations.

For the most part I have had good luck using Tripadvisor. However, like John says, make sure you read a lot of the reviews to get a good general idea of what the lodging is like. I have found the reviews helpful when they tell me what floors to avoid and what side of the hotel I might want to request a room on, etc. Sometimes the reviews give you ideas of the neighborhood and whether or not you will feel safe walking around. Tripadvisor is one resource to be used when planning a trip.

Any experience with Anchorage hotels? The Diamond center hotel sounds neat.

The hotel is some distance from the downtown tourist area but right in the heart of the state's largest shopping district. Unless you want to go on a shopping spree, not much of interest here for tourists.

I have been checking hotwire for Anchorage hotels for August 19th. When I put in 2 adults, there are several inexpensive choices that show up - - when I put in 3 adults (which there will be) those choices all disappear.

Not sure whether it would be wise to book the 2 person room & just "hope" we can add a 3rd person - - - any thoughts?

Thanks!

I have been checking hotwire for Anchorage hotels for August 19th. When I put in 2 adults, there are several inexpensive choices that show up - - when I put in 3 adults (which there will be) those choices all disappear.

Not sure whether it would be wise to book the 2 person room & just "hope" we can add a 3rd person - - - any thoughts?

Thanks!

You may be up against Anchorage fire codes by trying to add a 3rd person to a room. When in doubt telephone the hotel to ask before you make your reservation. The exception would be if the 3rd person is a child.

Thanks!

If you list the icons from hotwire we might be able to identify the hotel. Based on my experience with hotwire, I would not be surprised if that is the Extended Stay Deluxe with only one queen bed. Perhaps they don't offer a room with two beds, thus no way to confirm three people in the room.

John

Thanks!

We're at the Captain Cook that night. Also August 18. Booked it through Princess though. We stayed there in 2005 and it was fine.

Archived