I want good jamaican food

sixgun8

I want an Anthony Bourdain kind of experience. I want to have the BEST of the local fare. Where do I go near Mobay though. I preferably want Pork(like Bourdain I have an infatuation). I am thinking Jerked, but is that authentic?

go to the pork pit. They cook it out on a large open pit and it is awesome.

couple it with a red stripe beer and it is about as jamaican as you can get.

We had a guide and asked him to find us an authentic place and he took us there. there were many locals there at the same time.

Not knowing where you will be but if its Mobay, there is a jerk stand on right side of the airport road on the way to the resort hotels. Just a shack open air, down and dirty. Best jerk. Used to go there when working in Jamaica. No posted name. Also the Pork Pit in town is authentic with great jerk chicken. Open air. Cab drivers know this place.

If you are in Ocho I can't help. My business was between Mobay and Kingston. Stay away from Kingston.!!

Enjoy Jamaica, exercise caution and you will find it is a beautiful country.

Not knowing where you will be but if its Mobay, there is a jerk stand on right side of the airport road on the way to the resort hotels. Just a shack open air, down and dirty. Best jerk. Used to go there when working in Jamaica. No posted name. Also the Pork Pit in town is authentic with great jerk chicken. Open air. Cab drivers know this place.

If you are in Ocho I can't help. My business was between Mobay and Kingston. Stay away from Kingston.!!

Enjoy Jamaica, exercise caution and you will find it is a beautiful country.

Yep... that place is KILLER! It's been there since I started going to Jamaica in the 80s. Great jerk. They normally have a bucket or a barrel with cold Red Stripe.

Not knowing where you will be but if its Mobay, there is a jerk stand on right side of the airport road on the way to the resort hotels. Just a shack open air, down and dirty. Best jerk.

Another fan...my mouth is watering. Man that was a great meal!!!

Gee, now I wish I was going to Mobay rather than Ocho. This would be something that my DH would think it was worth getting off the ship for. We have been to Ocho twice, and have done all the other stuff. The first time, they took us to an open air pit place when we were on our way back from a tour of a plantation.

compared to the pier at Mobay and sunset beach where are either of these places located??

Head east along the Strip. It's about across from the Jack Tar Village. It's perhaps 3/4 mile or a bit more past Margaritaville, if memory serves me correctly. The place has been there forever and is a real fixture!

compared to the pier at Mobay and sunset beach where are either of these places located??

Pork Pit is in town on right side of road, any one knows of it. Short cab ride. Too far to walk with all the traffic. The other is on the Airport road, further away past the Sangster airport shortly before the Holiday Inn. A long trip for pork or chicken but worthwhile if you are touring that way. It is on the right side going east. The airport road is the main road going east from Mobay to Ocho Rios. We will be in Ochie in April and will find a good jerk stand there as well. Good luck and happy cruising.

• 1 month later...

ok, back from jamaica over a week ago and I made it to the PORK PIT. OH MY GOD, can anyone compare?? I tried to go to Scotchies, but the cabby wanted $30, so I said no way. The shuttle that hits the terminal actually dropped us off at the pit. MMMM MMMMM I want more and I want more now. I may have to make some tonight.

VERY GOOD.

ok, back from jamaica over a week ago and I made it to the PORK PIT. OH MY GOD, can anyone compare?? I tried to go to Scotchies, but the cabby wanted $30, so I said no way. The shuttle that hits the terminal actually dropped us off at the pit. MMMM MMMMM I want more and I want more now. I may have to make some tonight.

VERY GOOD.

You're talking about the place across the street from Jack Tar, right? Yeah... it's been there for ages and all the locals eat there... Wonderful stuff!!

Did you happen to grab a Jamaican beef patty anywhere??? Fantastic... just fantastic!!

You're talking about the place across the street from Jack Tar, right? Yeah... it's been there for ages and all the locals eat there... Wonderful stuff!!

Did you happen to grab a Jamaican beef patty anywhere??? Fantastic... just fantastic!!

I couldn't begin to tell you where it was or how to get there again. LOL

Missed out on the beef patty, never seen them anywhere. Anthony bourdain went to Kingston on his show. He had the beef patty. Now I know we missed out again.

Another vote for Pork Pit (haven't tried the other).

Pork Pit is a block or two from Margaritaville. Leaving from the cruise ship, Pork Pit will be on your right before you get to Margaritaville on the left.

All kinds of jerk - chicken, pork, even shrimp and more. And Red Stripe beer.

They also have food to go - one late afternoon I hired a cab to take me there, wait, and bring me back for $10.

Another vote for Pork Pit (haven't tried the other).

Pork Pit is a block or two from Margaritaville. Leaving from the cruise ship, Pork Pit will be on your right before you get to Margaritaville on the left.

All kinds of jerk - chicken, pork, even shrimp and more. And Red Stripe beer.

They also have food to go - one late afternoon I hired a cab to take me there, wait, and bring me back for $10.

I'd probably say it is closer to 3/4 mile from M'ville, It was a pretty long hike considering we got hassled by people selling the damn bracelets every 1/2 block

Our guide took us to the Pork Pit for lunch. Man, I could hurt myself in that place, it was AWESOME! The jerked conch wasn't as good as the pork and chicken, but still good. It was cooked in foil with okra. Strongly reminded me of a little Texas BBQ joint. We got two combos (jerked chicken on one, pork on the other, came with a drink and rice and beans) and conch on the side. My wife had a soda and I had a beer, whole meal cost $15 as I recall. Good thing they don't have one here. I'd weight 400 lbs and be munching Lipitor all day long :( .

We stopped at some little joint somewhere along the line to relieve ourselves and get something to drink and our guide Richard Robinson (I believe his name was) treated us to some patty, chicken and beef. That was awesome as well. Sorta like meat cooked in a sopapilla. Could have made myself sick on those as well. Jamaica has its faults, but they sure make some good grub!

Have a great time,

JHC

that my friend was the jamaican beef pie. It was alusive on our first trip. We couldn't find quick access to one. Have to rectify that next time.

I truly believe the Pork Pit is the culinary heaven in jamaica. That's isn't smoke wafting through the patio, it's clouds. It has to be. Stuff don't taste like that on earth.