mexico excursions/tours with a wheelchair ?

melika091900

Cabo can be problematic as it is a tender port, and sometimes tendering can be so rough that they will not transport wheelchair passengers ashore. It is very commercial and crowded, so we often just stay on board there. There are no wheelchair accessible tours available there, but if she can stand or get into a bus there are a number of good tours through the ship in that area (San Jose de Cabo for example). Most of the cabs are vans which can be a problem, but you can find a car taxi if you are persistant. It is about 1/2 mile to walk into town (cobblestones...you could NOT do this with a transport chair, you need a regular large-wheeled manual wheelchair) if you don't take a cab. Curb cuts are difficult to find and many shops are not ramped, so be prepared to have to bump up a step or two (again, NOT a transport chair). There are many boat trips available on the pier that you can book on your own (whale watching, etc.) but most are not very accessible, but if she can stand, might work for her. The advantage of this is you can see what you are getting right there on the pier. The little pangas that go out to Los Arcos and Lover's Beach are NOT accessible and require good balance to board and ride.

In PV you have a couple of options. You can go into town (the Malecon) via cab to shop. There are curb cuts but they are VERY steep and lead right into busy traffic, so you need a strong pusher who can control the chair, and again, you often must bump up a step or two into the shops. The same is true of the Old Town area, but it is less steep there. You cannot get onto the walkway right along the beach in the Malecon area (unless they have finally installed the long-promised platform lift) except from the south end near the cathedral.

Another option for PV is to take a wheelchair accessible van tour. They don't have set tours...you charter the van for a specific tour. We have had them take us to a tequila factory tour or two, a drive along the north beaches, drop off and pick up for shopping and lunch in the Malecon and Old Town areas, as well as a trip to Mismaloya Beach for lunch at the hotel there (and a beautiful drive getting there). There are actually two companies, but I only recommend this one. Book early, since they only have one van, and often are fully booked when ships are in port. They also have a beach wheelchair for rent if you want to get into the water. You can book half day or full day tours, and you can take 3 other passengers other than the wheelchair user (all for one price). The cruise ships will NOT refer you to them because they don't pay the cruise line a kick back (as the other tour operators do).

http://www.accesiblemexico.com/

In Mazatlan, again if you can stand or transfer to a regular car type cab that is your best bet. No wheelchair accessible tours here. You can get around in the Zona del Oro (the main hotel and shopping area) with help in a standard manual chair. There are a few curb cuts, some bumping up a step or two, but it is flat and the curbs are not really high (as in PV). Stone Island is fun, but the passenger ferry is not accessible. There is a small shopping area at the pier, but the prices are high. You can also find independent tour operators here (most are vans though). You must ride on the shuttle from the ship to this area, which is a trolley that is wheelchair accessible (ramped with room for one wheelchair per shuttle, no tie-downs).

Hi Melissa,

I just returned from a 14 day Panama Canal cruise on RCI. We made 3 ports in Mexico. The information I received from the excursions dept. & special needs dept. at RCI said the excursions I wanted to go on were "Wheelchair Accessible". This information was TOTALLY INCORRECT!! both Mexico & the other ports werer I booked excursions. If you are cruising with Royal Carabbean BEWARE!!. Do some digging on this board & look for private tours. That will be your best bet. I found 2-3 private tours that were well spoken of & wish I had booked them rather than count on RCI!!

:)HAPPY CRUISING:)

Fil

• 2 weeks later...

I use a manual wheelchair. I am trying to decide on my next cruises. Two places that I would like to see are Cancun and Puerto Vallarta. What I am wondering is what kinds of activities are available for someone in a wheelchair at each place?

Thanks

srains, what is your disability? Do you stand? Walk at all? Can you transfer easily to a car? Climb into a bus? A lot of what is available depends on your specific abilities.

Have not been to Cancun for years, but we have been to PV a lot in recent years. Beaches, shopping, scenic drives and visiting tequila factories are high on our list of things to do there (see above).

You can take a power chair on the van from Accessible Mexico in PV, but otherwise, don't plan to visit most areas of Mexico in a power chair. In the Malacon (main shopping) area of PV there are "curb cuts" but they are VERY steep and dump you right into traffic, and most shops have 1-2 steps. We always take the manual chair and a strong pusher (me) to go to anyplace in this port. If your friend has a manual chair they need to bring it. Even the little shops on the pier are not fully accessible and most required at least one step up, which can be bumped up in a power chair but not a scooter or power chair.

A friend of mine went to Cancun on his honeymoon in his power chair. He found it pretty inaccessible, including the fact that there is no accessible transportation there. Had to be lifted into a van in his chair and go from the airport leaning far forward in his chair to avoid hitting his head on the roof. His resort was OK, but many areas could only be accessed by stairs.

Also, if you take a cruise to PV, you probably will also stop in Mazatlan (nothing to do here that you can get to without taking a cab or bus), and Cabo San Lucas, which is a tender port. Few cruise lines will take a power chair ashore at any tender ports, including this one, and even manual chairs can be iffy depending on the conditions.

• 4 months later...

Mazatlan has an accessible Trolley Tour with a wheelchair lift.

http://www.toursinmazatlan.com.mx/index2.html I took it in Jan 2008. You can find it right at the port for $25. (Website said $30 and had a $5 coupon) They charged $25 and did not ask for coupon. I will consider taking it again on my next visit.

I also took my scooter on a catamarran to Stone Island in Dec 2007. I did have to be lifted up one step onto the end of the ramp as it did not have angled ends. I went with Puesta de Sol. Once on the Island, a tractor pulled wagon took everyone to Puesta de Sol's facilties. They had to lift me into the wagon and then lift my scooter in. I could not go on the beach, so went exploring on my scooter. Horse and wagon tours were available, horseback riding as well as several water sports and ATVs.

We recently 12/07 went on Royal Caribbean to Cabo, Mazatlan, and Puerto Vallarta. My husband uses a manual wheelchair and is able to transfer into a van. There were many vans available at Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta. We were traveling with others and we got very nice sightseeing tours there for $25/person. We didn't stop to shop, but I agree it is not wheelchair friendly in town. But for my husband.....he's not a shopper so didn't care.

My husband chose not to get off in Cabo. But when I was on the tender there were many people on scooters who went ashore. The tender was easy for them to get on........it was flat and they just rolled on. I'm sure if seas are heavy it would be a problem. This was on the Vision of the Seas. I can't vouch for other cruise lines.

We have traveled on Royal Caribbean and Holland America. The one thing I liked on RC is that all their doors are electric......much easier for us. However, they use carts for linen and such that are in the halls and sometimes makes it a little hard to get by. Holland America doesn't use carts so no problems.

The theater was more accessible on Holland and people were VERY courteous and would go out of their way to help out. Always letting us go on elevators first, holding doors etc. Not so on RC.......every man for himself........I'm sure it was because on Holland it was an older crowd and therefore much more courteous.

But we enjoyed both trips equally.

Oh, a tip we have found for getting off the ship. If there is plenty of time in port, wait a couple of hours to get off........no lines and much easier. If you rush to get off you are among the crowds. Also the van drivers are much more willing to dicker since they have already done a tour.......getting two tours a day is usually not the norm for them I think.

Archived