Visa Points and Multiple Discounts

We have amassed quite a points balance (230,000) on our Visa and would like to knock out as many points as possible in one cruise as possible. I doubt that we can make it to 250K before cruisin' time. I'm looking for advice on how to maximize these points in a single trip. We (wife, me, 2 kids) usually book adjacent staterooms, so I'd throw that out there as an option. The obvious, if I could get it to fly, would be to use the free 7 night cruise (@150) and free companion fare (@75). I've read the RCCL web site, the T&C inside and out, and this board for answers. It doesn't sound like that would work. Could the multiple stateroom bookings be used to take adantage? (I would not do so in an underhanded manner). I'm gonna call a redemption CSR tomorrow to get their spin on it.

Thank you for your time.

We have amassed quite a points balance (230,000) on our Visa and would like to knock out as many points as possible in one cruise as possible. I doubt that we can make it to 250K before cruisin' time. I'm looking for advice on how to maximize these points in a single trip. We (wife, me, 2 kids) usually book adjacent staterooms, so I'd throw that out there as an option. The obvious, if I could get it to fly, would be to use the free 7 night cruise (@150) and free companion fare (@75). I've read the RCCL web site, the T&C inside and out, and this board for answers. It doesn't sound like that would work. Could the multiple stateroom bookings be used to take adantage? (I would not do so in an underhanded manner). I'm gonna call a redemption CSR tomorrow to get their spin on it.

Thank you for your time.

How about a $2300.00 OBC?

Buy everybody on board a drink. LOL

Here is what I was told 2 days ago by C&A regarding multiple discounts. I have 42,000 points. I don't think I'll hit the 50,000 mark before my cruise to get $500 off so I asked if I could use 30,000 point and get 2 of the $150 off cruise certificates and apply both of them to the cruise. I was told no. You can only apply 1 discount/free passenger/upgrade certificate to a reservation. You can apply as many on board credit certificates as you want.

Since you have 2 cabins, I think you can use 1 certificate per cabin, but you might want to double-check on that. I was able to do that in 2006 and get 2 $-off certificates - 1 for mine and 1 for parents. The rules have changed since then so you might not be able to do that anymore.

I believe the CSR gave you the wrong info here's a copy of the points for the $150 certificates. As you can see it states multiple discounts may be applied if earned. I take that to mean if you have enough points. This came directly from the RCCL website. I do see that it states that for OBC but not cruise diiscount so it still may be a problem, but I'd push it.

s.gifs.gifs.gifs.gif15,000 $150 USD on board credit toward onboard purchases i.e Spa, Shore Excursions, Gift Shop, Bar, etc (multiple onboard credits may be applied to a reservation if earned)s.gif.$150 cruise discount off any ship itinerarycon_bulletgray_ico.gifUpgrade on a 5 to 7 night Caribbean or Mexican Riviera sailing for two, September-May (interior stateroom to minimum available oceanview stateroom).Onboard Grand Romance Package - This package includes a bottle of champagne, a fresh bouquet of flowers, two robes, canapés, breakfast in bed, and a portrait.

It says multiple onboard credits can be applied. I wanted to use 2 of the certificates for $150 off any itinerary. I was told that was not allowed. I could get 2 of the 15,000 point certificates and use 1 for $150 off the cruise and 1 for $150 onboard credit.

I just used three $500 of an itinerary and one $150 off an itinerary (total $1650 off cruise) and had no problems. I also plan on applying one $150 OBC and one $50 OBC for the same booking. This won't be the first time I did this and have never had a problem.

At the risk of sounding dumb' date=' how do you "cash in" your points for on board credit or to purchase cruise gifts?[/quote']

Wow, that last comment I wrote was actually from this morning around 7am... When I opened the page it posted.

As for cashing in the points, you need to call the phone number on the RCCL page that is dedicated to the card, OR, call the number on the back of your credit card.

VERY IMPORTANT (and I mean VERY important)

- As soon as they ask how many points you would like to redeem, first, make sure that you tell the rep who is cashing in your points to read back your choice to you before putting in the request. Then tell them what you want. I went to cash in 150,000 points, but wanted to cash them in for 3 $500 cruise discounts. Unfortunately, when I said that I wanted to redeem some of my points they guy said "OK, I have redeemed 150,000 points for you" before I could even say anything. I asked him what he redeemed them for (started to get sick feeling here) and he said "the free cruise, why?" You would think that it would be an easy thing to just cancel the redemption and fix it, right? No. As soon as they are redeemed by the rep, they are IMMEDIATELY processed into a different system and the transaction CANNOT be backed out. The rep then admitted that he didn't know what he was doing and transferred me to BoA's WorldPoints dept (wrong card). The worldpoints rep then transferred me back to BoA where the new rep (who knew what she was doing) broke the bad news to me that they couldn't stop the transaction. I spoke with her supervisor who outlined the process to get it fixed. I would need to wait until the 150,000 point cert arrived, send it back to the company, and then they would be re credited to my account. At that point she could redeem them properly.

To finish off a long story with a short conclusion, everything ended up working out and the company fixed it in the only way it appeared that they could. I was able to cash out the certs and redeem them properly.

I have two cruises booked and was considering getting a card to pay off the balances. Is it worth it to get a card? I thought I might be able to get OBC on one of the accounts. Do they still give 15,000 points with the first transaction?

I have two cruises booked and was considering getting a card to pay off the balances. Is it worth it to get a card? I thought I might be able to get OBC on one of the accounts. Do they still give 15,000 points with the first transaction?

YES, http://www.royalcaribbean.com/dealsandmore/offer/visa.do Which irks me, because I didn't get that when I signed up 6 or so months ago. GRRRRRR! and they sent ME the email to join.

Wow, that last comment I wrote was actually from this morning around 7am... When I opened the page it posted.

As for cashing in the points, you need to call the phone number on the RCCL page that is dedicated to the card, OR, call the number on the back of your credit card.

- As soon as they ask how many points you would like to redeem, first, make sure that you tell the rep who is cashing in your points to read back your choice to you before putting in the request. Then tell them what you want. I went to cash in 150,000 points, but wanted to cash them in for 3 $500 cruise discounts. Unfortunately, when I said that I wanted to redeem some of my points they guy said "OK, I have redeemed 150,000 points for you" before I could even say anything. I asked him what he redeemed them for (started to get sick feeling here) and he said "the free cruise, why?" You would think that it would be an easy thing to just cancel the redemption and fix it, right? No. As soon as they are redeemed by the rep, they are IMMEDIATELY processed into a different system and the transaction CANNOT be backed out. The rep then admitted that he didn't know what he was doing and transferred me to BoA's WorldPoints dept (wrong card). The worldpoints rep then transferred me back to BoA where the new rep (who knew what she was doing) broke the bad news to me that they couldn't stop the transaction. I spoke with her supervisor who outlined the process to get it fixed. I would need to wait until the 150,000 point cert arrived, send it back to the company, and then they would be re credited to my account. At that point she could redeem them properly.

To finish off a long story with a short conclusion, everything ended up working out and the company fixed it in the only way it appeared that they could. I was able to cash out the certs and redeem them properly.

Oh my!!! :eek: That is horrible!!

Seems like their whole system needs an overhaul. I thought it was crazy that they don't have electronic certificates that they can e-mail instead of them snail mailing them out to us only for us to snail mail them off to RCCL. The post office lost mine!!! Fortunately RCCL was wonderful about it and took care of me.

Glad you eventually got your situation resolved. :)

- As soon as they ask how many points you would like to redeem, first, make sure that you tell the rep who is cashing in your points to read back your choice to you before putting in the request. Then tell them what you want. I went to cash in 150,000 points, but wanted to cash them in for 3 $500 cruise discounts. Unfortunately, when I said that I wanted to

Thank you for the warning. We just booked our cruise this evening. We'll get our coupons on their way next.

I have a different sort of question. We have the Presidental Family Suite in a few months. There are multiple adults in this suite. If we all sign up for the card, can we apply all the obc to this room. I think there will be 5 or 6 adults which would be a nice room credit. I would think we would not all be under the same charge account since that would be a nightmare to try and split up the bill. Any thoughts???

Thanks,

Gordie

Archived