Thinking Of Skipping Formal Nights!!

dressdenn

:) we skip formal nights ...just another way for the cruise lines to make $..on photos..the food is not any better on formal nights and it leaves so much room in our suitcases for souveniers..remember 50lbs each suitcase is not much why fill them with suits, ties, dress shirts, dress shoes, evening gowns and on and on and on..

I'm single. Going with other family. I did formal nights my first cruise. This is my second and I think I'm just going to skip it and relax more. Thoughts? Anyone else skip the formal nights?

..No need to do what other people do or think you should do. I have cruised single numerous times, but I enjoy the formal nights; especially that first one with the freebee cocktail party...meet the captain...I just love the ambiance..and the food that night.....mmmmmm,

....but thats just me.

Mitch

I love dressing up and putting on a party dress and just feeling like I am a princess plus I love taking pictures so I love any occasion to dress up

Carnival is very loose in what they consider to be formal wear. For a single guy that means just a dark jacket, white shirt and tie to what they wear. That is not much to carry? Is it? You probably can wear the shirt later anyway, and the jacket is handy for when you return to a colder climate.

On the other hand on my last cruise just buying the stuff (tux, ruffled shirt, bow-tie, overcoat) for the formal nights set me back over $500cdn, but now I also am prepare for any future formal get-to-getters that may come my way.

i guess threads like this can be an education, I never knew people had such an adversion to getting dressed up. I don't really feel that putting on my tux is that big of a deal, I don't feel 'stressed out' having to put on a suite.

Maybe more people should try late seating. You're never really rushed after a port, can always watch sail away...mix up a couple cocktails, get suited and booted and make your way up to dinner. Check out all the people leaving dinner heading for the show and eat. Its about the least stressful process ever.

IMO these are the things that seperate cruising from other vacations. Some may want to consider a land based vacation in a warm destination. If you want to do your own thing, your're not hurting my feelings and the empty tables in the dining room leave more attention for me.

I'm single. Going with other family. I did formal nights my first cruise. This is my second and I think I'm just going to skip it and relax more. Thoughts? Anyone else skip the formal nights?

Welcome to the club......

We are starting to completely skip the main dinning room for the entire cruise...

Here is why...

Early seating makes us feel rushed and stops any deck fun we are having!

Late seating is simply to late... dinning at 9:00 is well no fun....

The food service on the lido deck and other areas is fine by us.....

John

What he said! ;)

DH and I skipped the dining room totally on our last Carnival cruise. We were on the Canada route and wanted to relax and watch sunsets and stay in our jeans and not worry about nice clothes.

For the most part, the offerings are the same. No, you won't get the lobster but you will get carved meat and many of the same entrées , soups, etc. The desserts at the buffet dinner aren't as good as the dining room but, in my opinion, it's a small price to pay for the freedom to eat when you choose.

Bring clothes with you for formal night so you have them just in case. I sometimes go, sometimes don't. I don't feel like I miss anything by not going, but I want the clothes with me in case I want to go. You will be surprised at how many people skip formal night dinner.

I agree with this entirely. There is nothing wrong with skipping formal night, and that is exactly what you should do if you don't feel like dressing. If for some reason, however, you change your mind and decide you want to go to formal night, it would be a real shame if you didn't have proper attire.

What he said! ;)

DH and I skipped the dining room totally on our last Carnival cruise. We were on the Canada route and wanted to relax and watch sunsets and stay in our jeans and not worry about nice clothes.

Don't think for a moment we didn't envy you!

Occasionally we skip formal night. It's just not a big deal any more. For 7 night cruises, I generally take one black cocktail dress and wear it both nights which does help with the packing.

Hey... we get to choose on Carnival! That's the beauty of it!

I LOVE dressing up, so I'll go to formal night...

YOU don't and they've provided for you too!!

THANK YOU CARNIVAL!!! You take care of all of us!!

Great answer !!!!:)

• 2 weeks later...
[B][I]We don't even go to the man dining rooms at all anymore. We found we were either too full from a late lunch or just too tired to get dressed (meaning, get out of shorts) to go to the dining room. We just use the buffet..or deli...or salad station...or pizza. Plus, you don't have to pack so much stuff that way.[/I][/B]

Archived