Normandy from Le Havre or Cherbourg?

We would like to see the Normandy Beaches and area and will be in port in both La Havre and Cherbourg on a spring TA. They both list Normandy as excursions. Which port is better to travel from? I am guessing Cherbourg is closer, but do not know. We were recently in Paris, so that is not a factor. Also, having never been to Normandy, should we be brave and rent a car or stick with the ship excursion? DH is braver than I am, so I am asking your suggestions first!

We took the ships tour of the Normandy Beaches 9/2000. We were

docked at Le Havre. This was a full day's tour which also included

lunch. When taking an organized tour you will have a guide from the

area on the bus giving you all the history. I don't see where driving

would give you all the history info which is so important on this tour.

The Normandy Tour is something you don't forget especially if they

take you to the cemetary with rows and rows of white crosses.

Read up on the war to fully understand what your seeing and the

solders were out in the open when they landed with no place to

go.

Enjoy your trip.

We rented a car in Cherbourg and went to Juno Beach, Courseilles sur Mer, Bayeux and Caen. You can easily do more beaches if you wish and skip the other stops we did. The National (Europcar) car rental is a 5 minute walk from the pier. Highways were excellent and directions wasn't a problem but you need to be inclined to do independent tours.

We rented a car in Cherbourg and went to Juno Beach, Courseilles sur Mer, Bayeux and Caen. You can easily do more beaches if you wish and skip the other stops we did. The National (Europcar) car rental is a 5 minute walk from the pier. Highways were excellent and directions wasn't a problem but you need to be inclined to do independent tours.

Thanks for the reply. About how long of a drive was it to the places you visited? I am trying to find out if it is better to go from Cherbourg or Le Havre which I hear is a two hour drive each way. Also, do you remember about how much the car rental was? I know I will have to factor in gas and also from Le Havre I hear there are a lot of toll roads. Just trying to decide which port to leave from and also compare cost of doing it on my own or take an excursion.

Thanks for the reply. About how long of a drive was it to the places you visited? I am trying to find out if it is better to go from Cherbourg or Le Havre which I hear is a two hour drive each way. Also, do you remember about how much the car rental was? I know I will have to factor in gas and also from Le Havre I hear there are a lot of toll roads. Just trying to decide which port to leave from and also compare cost of doing it on my own or take an excursion.

RockyTop2, I think the distance to the Beaches is about equal depending on which beach you want to visit. You can go to www.mapquest.com and click on "outside USA and Canada" and then use the distance/direction function for France. About an hour and a quarter from Cherbourg to Bayeux and an hour twenty from Le Havre. Can't remember many tolls if any. We use Argus Car Hire in Europe. They are an Irish company but have great rates in Europe. www.arguscarhire.com Don't remember what we paid but all in it was a lot cheaper and better than the ship tour.

Archived