Golden Eagle Island sailaway

cruisinmamma

We have no personal experience, but check out this information from Shawn's World:

clear.gifGolden Eagle Catamaran Enjoy a half-day tour to Tintamar, a real deserted island! Ride aboard the "Golden Eagle", a 76-foot, winged mast catamaran. This is one of the biggest, fastest and best-looking sailing catamarans in the whole Caribbean. Go first class; enjoy an open bar and light snacks while sailing at speeds up to 30 knots in the sparkling Caribbean waters. Count the Flying fish or watch the dolphins while you lie in the nets or laze in the shade of the 80-foot sail, embossed with a gigantic golden eagle. Stopping at a quiet cove, you will have the opportunity to snorkel in the crystal clear waters or bob around on a beach float. Explore caverns or dive through coral formations teeming with fish. The Golden Eagle will nuzzle her bow into a fabulous pink sandy beach without a doubt one of the finest you will see in the Caribbean. Homeward bound, the gigantic yellow spinnaker is set up as you cruise/surf downwind listening to great music while enjoying cocktails and snacks!

Actually they have several different catamarans....3 or 4 I think but I believe they all have the "nets". That is usually our spot too. But be prepared to get wet (possibly soaked). Of course last year we had prepared our family for this and it was so calm we didn't get a drop on us. Usually though we are bouncing around and get really wet so be sure to put your "dry" valuables inside just in case.

This is our favorite shore ex. We have done it something like 10 times.

Actually they have several different catamarans....3 or 4 I think but I believe they all have the "nets". That is usually our spot too. But be prepared to get wet (possibly soaked). Of course last year we had prepared our family for this and it was so calm we didn't get a drop on us. Usually though we are bouncing around and get really wet so be sure to put your "dry" valuables inside just in case.

This is our favorite shore ex. We have done it something like 10 times.

As far as we know, there is only ONE Golden Eagle. Where did you get your information that there are 3 or 4? We also believe that it has only been operating for a few years. How have you done 10 trips on her? Just wondering.

The company/ownership "Golden Eagle" (there may be another actual corporate name) has 3 or 4 catamarans. Golden Eagle, Golden Eagle II, III,IV, V, etc. I don't know the exact numbers as one of them sank several years back. Depending on how many ships are in port they sometimes only run one at a time morning /afternoon or might run 2 of a morning none in the afternoon or 2/2...depending on sales I guess. We have been doing them for many years at least once a year and sometimes 2 or 3 times a year. I know I did them in 1998 and maybe even before then.

• 2 weeks later...

We were planning on renting a car when in St. Maarten this January, but we also love catamaran sails. For those who have taken the Golden Eagle, do you feel the place it sailed to was as nice or nicer than St. Maarten beaches? We will be on RCCL and I believe the Golden Eagle is one of the tours we could take instead of renting a car and going to the beaches.

Thanks

I usually stay in the water and don't actually get "on the beach". There are not any chairs, facilities, etc. on Tintamar (where they take you). Therefore I wouldn't consider the beach "as nice" as one on St. M but you are only there about 1:15 to 1:30 hours depending on how long it takes to sail out. The head on the boat is fine (for "facilities"). The "sail" is a blast going out and back. They provide fins, masks, vests, etc. for snorkeling or "noodles" for floating if you just want to hang out in the water. They take a cooler to the beach serve drinks while there. They will "throw" drinks to you in the water. There is a little "snack" on the way back in. They have mimosa, blood mary's, sodas, etc. on the way out and champagne, beer, etc. on the way back in. The crew "sings & dances" for you on the way back. This is really a fun trip if you like "sailing" and a little beach/snorkeling/water time. If you want hours and hours at the beach though then this wouldn't give you much "beach" time. We really enjoyed Orient Beach the two times we went there. (Beautiful beach) But....we have done GE every year since we "discovered it" about 8 yrs ago. (We have done it 10 or so times...sometimes twice a year!)

There are two large nets so most everyone that wants to be around one can be. We do usually try to "make a run" for one but most of the time it turns out to not have been necessary. We like to sit on the edge of the net not actually in the middle of the net. As to the number of people, I would guess there usually are anywhere from 40 to 60 or so. I haven't ever really counted as there has never been a problem with this. Always enough to actually get the excursion to go (no cancellations due to lack of tickets) and has never really seemed too crowded. On several occassions they have sent out a 2nd boat because there were so many folks. It is what our group always calls "the perfect excursion".

Does anyone remember about how much this costs?

I can't find any prices on their website.

Also, are there benches or any place on the boat for someone who is elderly? She is recovering from knee surgery and likes to stay out of the sun as well.

How long does this trip last and where does it leave from? We need time for shopping in St. Martin!

Thanks, Jackie

Jackie.....If I am remembering right you are on Jewel with us (in 39 days....yoohoo!). Anyway, the cost is $75 per person for adults. (Less than that for 12 and under but I don't remember exactly how much less. I think $50 but I'm not sure.) I believe you can only book it through the shore ex. I don't think GE will let you book directly (but I could be wrong). I believe it says "4 hours" on the shore ex and that is about right. They usually load us up right at the pier (say 15 to 20 minutes for loading)....about an hour for the trip to Tintamar....about 1 to 1 1/2 hrs snorkeling, beaching, etc....about an hour back. One time though we were gone for 5 hours because it was such a great day and they didn't have another "sail" that day so they kept us out an extra hour (after the whole group had "voted" and agreed to it). This time it is an afternoon sail though (12:30 I think) instead of a morning trip so we will have to shop in the am and then do the afternoon sial. Usually we do the morning sail and then shop in the afternoon.

As far as elderly person with knee trouble. There are benches inside to sit on and stay out of the sun but there are I believe 2 or 3 steps to get down to the inside area. The steps going on down to the restrooms are really, really steep though. The steps to get down into the water are definitely not something they would want to do though. I have seen them take a person to shore in the "little rubber dingy" before but I would recommend just staying on board. Hope this info helps.

Jackie....I may be confusing GE with AC in the "booking policy". I think they "charter" certain sailings each day for the ship only. I think they will take other guests (from hotels) on other sailings during the day but they aren't allowed to book cruise passengers except through the ship. ( I hope I made sense in what I am saying. I know what I mean. lol)

Were there any kids on it? This is one of the excursions we were thinking about will have our two kids with us (8 & 11) and do you have enough time to shop before or after?

We just got back from our cruise on the Glory. When we went to St. Maarten, we went on the Golden Eagle III. It was great!!! Yes, there were a few kids on the trip and they seemed to have a lot of fun.

And Yes we had plenty of time to shop. We did the 8:15am excursion. We got back about 12:30'ish. We had time to go back to the ship, take showers, eat lunch, then go back to town to shop. We had plenty of time in town. The timing seems to work best (for us) to excursion in the morning; we did an excursion in St. Thomas in the p.m. but that seemed to be very frustrating b/c we had to worry about the time more that we enjoyed our shopping.

Tracy

We're going on the Glory Feb 19, 2005, did you like this ship? Any tips you want to share will be appreciated:) , about the ship or the ports. We are planing on going to St. Johns on our own and doing Nassua on are own as well, we've been to those places for vacation before but any suggestions would be great.

• 2 weeks later...

momof2boys,

How much was this excursion through Carnival? Skiiergirl mentions a price of 75.00 through Royal Caribbean. I just receive a copy of Carnivals shore excursions w/prices...and the price listed for the Golden Eagle Catamaran is 51.00. There is just one price listed...it doesn't say if it is for adults or children. Normally there wouldn't be that big of a difference in price between Carnival and Royal Caribbean. So if you don't mind please post what you paid for adults on this excursion.

Thanks

CaribbeanCrazy

• 2 months later...

I was on the Golden Eagle in August with my two teenage kids. As someone stated, there are a few Golden Eagle catamarans. I think they schedule them about 1/2 hour apart. There is plenty of shade and sun. There are benches you can sit on below. I've gone on catamaran excursions a couple of times, and there is no need to make a dash for the nets. There will be some splashing, so most sit where it's dry. I absolutely loved this excursion! The ride itself is awesome...it is very scenic and very relaxing. They take you to a really nice, fairly secuded beach area. The beach is great for swimming, and off to the side you can snorkel. The snorkeling exceeded my expectations. I really cannot imagine anyone being disappointed in sailing on the Golden Eagle catamaran.

I am also thinking about booking this excursion for our March cruise. Does the price include the snacks/drinks and snorkeling or are those extra.

Sounds like a lot of fun, a day in the sun...

Sounds very good today!!

Thanks

Laurie :cool:

Price includes the snorkeling...mask/fins, etc, noodles to float with if you don't want to snorkel....champagne, beer, juice, sodas, finger sandwiches, etc. They will let you know at the end that tips are appreciated. We feel they work hard and deserve the tips so we usually tip something. They will have hats and t-shirts for sale too.

Archived