Le Meridien questions

cruzegirl

Yes, we did back in '04 on our post cruise stay. We didn't actually care for the hotel that much, mostly due to the staff. They were friendly enough, but sort of stuffy. We wanted a more casual, laid back hotel, like the Sheraton was for our pre stay, i.e. pareus/shorts and casual shirts vs. uniforms on the staff.

The OWB was beautiful, but there was no direct access off the pier, so you had to walk all the way back to the beach for access. The beach was very crowd on the weekend and it is a tops optional beach, should that be of interest or concern to you.

It's also much farther out of town from Papeete, but closer to the airport, which is why we picked it as a post stay hotel. The hotel does offer a shuttle service into the airport which you must make reservations for and you can always call for a taxi to get you back and forth to town.

We enjoyed the small pool at the Sheraton, but the pool at Le Meridien was almost too hot to be in. Very shallow and directed towards the little ones. No great problem since there's a beautiful beach right beside it. Not much in the way of beach access at the Sheraton when we were there. Snorkeling was great at Le Meridien and there's lots of grounds if laying out under palms is your aim. Not so much at the Sheraton.

Food was good, but really expensive. There is a small strip mall across the street with had a small breakfast shop when we were there. If you head off the property and walk north, there is a larger grocery store and tuck into the strip mall behind it was a great little restaurant called Chez Rene. Incredible food, prepared to order, so it's not fast, but it's so worth the wait - and not as expensive as dining at the hotel itself.

If you have any specific questions, I'll be happy to try and answer them.

Charlie

My husband and I stayed pre-cruise at the Le Meridien(5/2003)fund the staff stuffy.The room has basic, two queens and a nice sized bathroom.Had a great view of Moorea from balcony. The food was expensive at the hotel's restaurant, and well as the drinks. We really didn't care to do much, since we were there to catch up on the time difference and just relax.The man-made pool water was very warm,and not refreshing. There is a beach just a short walk down from pool(there were quite a few topless females sunning themselves) next to the over water bungalows.... The bungalows are very close to one another and from one CC member who was staying there,stated that you could her other people in their bungalows,HMMMMMMMMMMMM.

We also stayed there because they had dayrooms available for us when we were leaving Papeete.

cHEZ RENE IS NOT A PLACE TO BE MISSED. THE FOOD WAS FANTASTIC AND NOT VERY EXPENSIVE, EITHER..IT IS RATHER SMALL AND GLOOMY INSIDE, BUT HAD THE BEST MEALS THERE.....THEIR YELLOWTAIL TUNA AND MAHI-MAHI WERE FANTASTIC.....ENJOY...

K2cruiser - glad to hear that there is another happy Chez Rene fan out there - my big fear is that it will be gone when we get there in October. We loved the sort of 'funky' bar like element of the place and because we were the only customers there (or one of two), we got great service. The waiterss wanted to know all about life in the States and said her dream was to move there...go figure. Human nature, I guess, to not be happy where you are.

Yes, we did back in '04 on our post cruise stay. We didn't actually care for the hotel that much, mostly due to the staff. They were friendly enough, but sort of stuffy. We wanted a more casual, laid back hotel, like the Sheraton was for our pre stay, i.e. pareus/shorts and casual shirts vs. uniforms on the staff.

The OWB was beautiful, but there was no direct access off the pier, so you had to walk all the way back to the beach for access. The beach was very crowd on the weekend and it is a tops optional beach, should that be of interest or concern to you.

It's also much farther out of town from Papeete, but closer to the airport, which is why we picked it as a post stay hotel. The hotel does offer a shuttle service into the airport which you must make reservations for and you can always call for a taxi to get you back and forth to town.

We enjoyed the small pool at the Sheraton, but the pool at Le Meridien was almost too hot to be in. Very shallow and directed towards the little ones. No great problem since there's a beautiful beach right beside it. Not much in the way of beach access at the Sheraton when we were there. Snorkeling was great at Le Meridien and there's lots of grounds if laying out under palms is your aim. Not so much at the Sheraton.

Food was good, but really expensive. There is a small strip mall across the street with had a small breakfast shop when we were there. If you head off the property and walk north, there is a larger grocery store and tuck into the strip mall behind it was a great little restaurant called Chez Rene. Incredible food, prepared to order, so it's not fast, but it's so worth the wait - and not as expensive as dining at the hotel itself.

If you have any specific questions, I'll be happy to try and answer them.

Charlie

Charlie,

Thanks for the info. The staff wouldn't bug me too much as we are just using it for an overnight stay when we get it and then heading to Moorea the next morning. We are doing just a regular room and the OWB in Moorea. The Meridian was less expensive than the Sheraton so thought it would work. But do they have shuttles to/from the airport? I guess it might be wiser to get a hotel closer to the port for the next morning's trip. But there's also 3 single women here and not all hotels can accommodate that....

I Hope So Too,, We Will Be In Papeete From Oct 28-30, Where We Will Sail On The 3oth... We Still Talk About It... What A Great Find....i Am So Looking Forward To This Trip. We Will Be Taking My Son, My S-i-l, And Daughter And Her Boyfriend( Which We Hope By The Trip They Will Be Engaged?) I Cannot Wait For Them To Experience And Enjoy This Time In Paradise...

As I recall, there was a shuttle to the airport - you make reservations at the front desk. We wre there for about three days and just found the staff to be not very pleasant - very French, in other words. Of course, it wsa also 'that' time for me and I wasn't in a very good mood anyhow. For an overnight stay, it's fine. We are doing the same thing with the Sheraton, just stopping for the night on our way to Rangiroa. I just wish we were getting in earlier so we could get to Chez Rene that night.

One funny point which might not be relative at this time, but nearly all the women employees at Le Meridien were of the third sex. One flirted like mad with my DH, who was flattered, then just a little concerned with the attention when he realized the lovely lady was a lovely guy instead.

K2Cruiser - if your daughter isn't engaged by the trip, I bet she will be by the end of it -Tahiti was just so-o-o romantic and wonderful. I can see how sailors were seduced by its charm (and the topless women, of course)

Charlie

If you want a nice hotel near the airport check out the Intercontinental...I think you will find it sufficient for your needs. And the views of Moorea are supposed to be amazing...sort of enticing you...calling you for your next day's trip!!!;)

As I recall, there was a shuttle to the airport - you make reservations at the front desk. We wre there for about three days and just found the staff to be not very pleasant - very French, in other words. Of course, it wsa also 'that' time for me and I wasn't in a very good mood anyhow. For an overnight stay, it's fine. We are doing the same thing with the Sheraton, just stopping for the night on our way to Rangiroa. I just wish we were getting in earlier so we could get to Chez Rene that night.

One funny point which might not be relative at this time, but nearly all the women employees at Le Meridien were of the third sex. One flirted like mad with my DH, who was flattered, then just a little concerned with the attention when he realized the lovely lady was a lovely guy instead.

K2Cruiser - if your daughter isn't engaged by the trip, I bet she will be by the end of it -Tahiti was just so-o-o romantic and wonderful. I can see how sailors were seduced by its charm (and the topless women, of course)

Charlie

Charlie,

I can see how that wouldn't be well received...lol... I keep hearing about all the guys dressing/practicing as women.. I don't understand that being so big over there.... lol.... Should make people watching alot of fun....lol.....

gazuccio,

Thanks for the info. Will check that one out too.....

What was really funny what that my husband was absolutely clueless about it. I'm the researcher for trips and knew about 'the third sex'. After I pointed out the waitress's extremely large adams apple and other apparent differences, Chris was much less flattered. Being in the theater, neither of us were bothered by it, but it was funny.

He also had no idea the beach was topless until this woman asked him directions. It was classic out of "Candid Camera" - what do you say to a naked lady in an elevator?" Of cours, it was also compounded by the fact that he doesn't speak French and had no idea what she was saying. Now it's one of his favorite stories...

Charlie

Gazuccio - the views are pretty amazing! It's hard to believe the islands are so close. It feels like you can reach out and touch them

We stayed at the Le Meridien in 2004 both pre cruise for 3 nights and post cruise for one night and we found it to be a wonderful hotel with great staff.

Last year in June we stayed at the Intercontinental pre cruise for 3 nights and we wished we had returned back to the Le Meridien.

We felt that the Intercontinental has seen better days and needed to be completely rebuilt. The grounds are beautiful but the rooms in the main area of the hotel are very old. It was originally built for another chain of hotels back in the 70's and it is in that time warp.

Le Meridien has the beautiful beach when one can swim and we found the food excellent at this lovely French hotel. Of course now it is part of the Sheraton Chain.

Jennie

Archived