No luggage tags with cruise docs

cw5joevon

OMG you are right. They are in my docs. Now why did the lady at Carnival not tell me this. I feel so stupid. Last time they were colored, had strings and were inserted in packet rather than attached inside. I guess in my excitement I overlooked. Thanks for the help.

I just printed my docs on line. Of course, I don't have a color printer, so they are black and white. Does this matter?

Nope... your cabin info is there along with the bar code that will identify you. The color means nothing any more.

OMG you are right. They are in my docs. Now why did the lady at Carnival not tell me this. I feel so stupid. Last time they were colored, had strings and were inserted in packet rather than attached inside. I guess in my excitement I overlooked. Thanks for the help.

LOL Don't worry, I almost missed them too. Glad I could help

I almost did the same thing back in November when our Holiday cruise (in December) docs arrived. I thought to myself...my goodness..they forgot my luggage tags!!! Then I happen to flip through the docs and saw them.

For Platinum members, one thing that is different between the doc tags and edoc tags (besides the color) is the edoc tags say VIP.

I booked w/ my TA and am just finding out about all this change and I'm not pleased. My TA no longer sends us the "book" but instead sent me an email to do the e-docs thing and in the email it said "get luggage tags @ port". Well I called them all kinds of freaked out - I'm just that kind of person. As I explained to her, when you pull up to drop off the luggage w/ the porters, ya KINDA need to have something on your luggage or its a problem. Then she was telling me that Carnival stopped using the regular luggage tags but that I can print the ones off w/ my e-docs. Now, let me just say-- When I print them off, they are going to be on a plain white piece of paper. I've seen the way they toss the luggage around, how long do you think it will take them to rip off a piece of paper? I'm going to do this b/c apparently I have no choice but I'm also going to pre-print lables with my information in hopes that when I get to the port I can find some "real" luggage tags. Then I am going to pray to high heavens that I will see my luggage again before I disembark.

Nope... your cabin info is there along with the bar code that will identify you. The color means nothing any more.

Thanks. I've never used these cheap paper ones!!!

From what I have been reading, a lot of people fill out the info, laminate them, or cover them with a clear packing tape, so they don't get ripped off.

You can go to any office supply store (i.e. Office Depot, OfficeMax, Staples, etc) and get sheets of clear plastic that you peal the paper off the back and they will stick to the paper luggage tags ( I suggest that you do both sides. Then go to an electronic store (Radio Shack) and get plastic "wire ties" and make your own luggage tags. I believe that Walmart may sell the "wire ties" also, or while ur at the office they may have the wrie ties also and then punch a hole to put them through and attach them like you would any other tags. Wire ties are nothing more than thin plastic straps that hold bundles of wires together. You may even find them at automotive stores. Hope this helps. I guess with the $5.00 per day surcharge for fuel, Carnival couldn't afford the luggage tags anymore. Hope this helps. We use the plastic ties inplace of locks incase TSA want to open the bags and not cut off our locks. Hope this helps.:)

For Platinum members, one thing that is different between the doc tags and edoc tags (besides the color) is the edoc tags say VIP.

We are not platinum (it's our first time on Carnival) but are in a suite, and both docs and edocs say VIP. Difference in ours is that the edocs have the bar code, where the docs don't.

I booked w/ my TA and am just finding out about all this change and I'm not pleased. My TA no longer sends us the "book" but instead sent me an email to do the e-docs thing and in the email it said "get luggage tags @ port". Well I called them all kinds of freaked out - I'm just that kind of person. As I explained to her, when you pull up to drop off the luggage w/ the porters, ya KINDA need to have something on your luggage or its a problem. Then she was telling me that Carnival stopped using the regular luggage tags but that I can print the ones off w/ my e-docs. Now, let me just say-- When I print them off, they are going to be on a plain white piece of paper. I've seen the way they toss the luggage around, how long do you think it will take them to rip off a piece of paper? I'm going to do this b/c apparently I have no choice but I'm also going to pre-print lables with my information in hopes that when I get to the port I can find some "real" luggage tags. Then I am going to pray to high heavens that I will see my luggage again before I disembark.

Some people elect to print them out on thicker stock than regular copier paper. We printed them on regular ole computer paper....folded them in 3rd as required and used clear packaging tape to enforce (and waterproof) them.

They did just fine.

Now we drove to our location last month, so we did not have to worry about what the airlines would do.

This month we are flying and I plan not to put my tags on until we get to Florida. I am either going to take a small cheap stapler or use the hotel's.

You can go to any office supply store (i.e. Office Depot, OfficeMax, Staples, etc) and get sheets of clear plastic that you peal the paper off the back and they will stick to the paper luggage tags ( I suggest that you do both sides. Then go to an electronic store (Radio Shack) and get plastic "wire ties" and make your own luggage tags. I believe that Walmart may sell the "wire ties" also, or while ur at the office they may have the wrie ties also and then punch a hole to put them through and attach them like you would any other tags. Wire ties are nothing more than thin plastic straps that hold bundles of wires together. You may even find them at automotive stores. Hope this helps. I guess with the $5.00 per day surcharge for fuel, Carnival couldn't afford the luggage tags anymore. Hope this helps. We use the plastic ties inplace of locks incase TSA want to open the bags and not cut off our locks. Hope this helps.:)

I have used wire ties for my airline luggage for a while now, and it is great. Just remember to leave nail clippers in an unlocked side compartment to cut the wire ties when you get to your destination.

I think that the whole thing with "print your own" tags is ridiculous. As you noted, you have to go to different stores to get the stuff and then print at home with your printer, ink, and paper at your cost, then laminate and fashion your tag.

Last year we cruised on Carnival and I chose to have the docs mailed to me because I wanted "the book". Well, there is no book no more. It's just like an airline ticket. No information about your ports of call or the shore excursions anymore. We didn't even get the deck plans. But at least we got luggage tags: bright orange thick paper, with a reinforced hole and the name of the ship.

Now I see that Carnival has done away with even that. That might be what pushes me to print-at-home tags, but I am not pleased. If the reason is because they are using bar codes, they can print those with my mailed docs. They know your name, they know your address, they know your ship, sailing date and cabin number. They can print the tags neatly and send them to me.

I am an enthusiastic adopter of e-whatever if it saves me time and money. That happened with e-tickets, e-banking, e-commerce. It seems that Carnival is going backwards. It saves them time and money, not me.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm........did not know this about the luggage tags...when did this start????/ seems like alot of extra work for us to do.....there are 8 of us........which equals lots and lots of luggage.....not crazy about flimsy tags....seems like a crap shoot with the luggage as it was never mind plain thin ones that we have to print......

Archived