Timaru, NZ

Bonita

Hadn't heard of Timaru as a cruise port so I did a quick google to find out more. Here's a quick snapshot:

Timaru, the urban hub of the Central South Island, has undergone something of a renaissance in recent years. Now that the island’s main highway no longer flows down its main street, Timaru residents have been able to reclaim the town’s Edwardian heart. Vibrant plantings of flowers and trees, and a more people-friendly landscape of paved areas, seating and vantage points from which to enjoy the city’s setting between ocean and alps make Timaru a great place to live and visit.

The striking piazza, with its stunning views that stretch from Caroline Bay across to the snow-clad mountains, is complemented by the development of numerous café-bars and restaurants that have taken advantage of this superb setting. They have enhanced the attractions of the much-loved Caroline Bay itself. Holiday-makers have been flocking to this stretch of sandy, safe beach for more than 100 years. This seaside haven retains some its traditional flavour with promenades, playground and picnic areas but stays up with the play with its long-running annual Christmas -New Year carnival that continues to entice in visitors from throughout New Zealand and beyond for days of entertainment and fast and furious fairground rides.

Timaru has preserved much of its historic heritage, both in terms of its architecture and through local treasures housed in the excellent local museum. And its Aigantighe Art Gallery has a well-deserved reputation as having one of the best collections of New Zealand art to be found in any provincial city.

The city is now also closely linked with the rose. This flower grows superbly in the Central South Island and has been used extensively in both public and private gardens. Throughout the long flowering season, parks and streetscapes are awash with colour. The jewel in Timaru’s rose crown is the Trevor Griffiths Rose Garden on Caroline Bay. Complete with arbours, pools and a fountain it’s a sumptuous fusion of traditional rose garden style and contemporary design.

The Timaru i-SITE, housed in one of the city’s most historic premises, the Landing Service Building, can help visitors with all aspects of their visit to Timaru, from where to stay to tailor-made tours of the region’s attractions.

We suggest you...

• visit Aigantighe Art Gallery and Sculpture Garden

• watch a blacksmith demonstration at the port

• dine in one of the fine restaurants or trendy cafes overlooking Caroline Bay

• get on the water - take a Dolphin cruise

• enjoy the great outdoors - go rock- climbing, mountain biking or swimming

• check out the information centre in the historic Landing Service Building or relax next door with quiet ale

• unwind on the Shakespeare Walk at the Botanic Gardens

• visit the Trevor Griffiths Rose
    Garden on Caroline Bay

• visit the South Canterbury Museum

• stroll along the beach at sunset

• play a recreational game of golf, bowls or tennis

• tour the Brewery

• plan a day trip to a scenic river gorge

• try retail therapy in one of Timaru's many shops

If you are interested, there are a few tour options shown on www.tourism.net.nz/region/canterbury/canterbury---timaru.

Hope you enjoy whatever you do

Bob

thank you very much........from your reply, Timaru must be a new cruise ship stop? I have printed your info to take with me for reference.

Yes, think it must be a new stop. I checked the Port of Timaru's website out of curiosity and found that the only cruise ship going there this season seems to be the Statendam ... which I therefore surmise is what you are cruising on.

Enjoy your day in Timaru.

Bob

Archived