Unanswered question on ginger and bonine

Hi,

The times getting close and all the questions are popping into my head, sorry! I searched for seasick pills and got lots of great threads. I get seasick on a swingset, also in cars, wherever. I take dramamine usually for a plane, since I can just sleep it off and relax. I have also taken bonine for a plane once and it was great. Last time I went on a plane and also an amusement park I took ginger capsules and was fine AND not tired! What a revelation!

So I will take ginger pills for the plane ride on the 26th, when I fly to MIA. But I would really like to take a combination of ginger and bonine. My problem is last time I cruised, I took a dramamine less drowsy pill each morning. I never felt sick, but I fell asleep around 11 every night!:eek: I surely missed out on a lot. I also drank on it, knowing it would make me more tired.

Can anyone tell me if 1. It's safe to take ginger and bonine, and how do I take that? 2. Should I take bonine the evening I arrive and stay in the hotel and then every evening on the cruise - is it a 24 hour pill? and 3. Can I drink with bonine and remain upright?:D Thank you all for your help!

The active ingredients in Bonine and Non-drowsy Dramamine are the same and are the same dosage. I just compared them side by side in preparation for our upcoming cruise. Ginger pills/capsules should have no interaction with the Non-drowsy Dramamine or Bonine, so you should be fine.

Eric

I too take it at night before bed. Never had a problem that way. I take ginger if I start feeling sick at all (only happened when we had 25 ft waves. The I take them twice a day. Ginger does not affect either Bonimine or alcohol. Bonimne will make you drowsy with alcohol so it is not recommending to mix the two.

I also get super motion sickness!! I start taking the Boninie the night before I leave.

I have used the Boninie and Ginger pills on my cruises. I take the Boninie at night and the ginger pills in the morning w/my Airborne.

I haven’t had a problem being tired (except from being so busy) – and I do drink with it as well.

Enjoy your cruise! ;)

Can anyone tell me if 1. It's safe to take ginger and bonine, and how do I take that? 2. Should I take bonine the evening I arrive and stay in the hotel and then every evening on the cruise - is it a 24 hour pill? and 3. Can I drink with bonine and remain upright?:D Thank you all for your help!

What might be safe for one person, might not be for another. Maybe you should direct this question to your doctor?

Bonine says one every day - so I would venture one every 24 hours.

That said, I took one right before we boarded, and one that night and every night. I also took Ginger at dinner. I had no problems at all this time although I did on my shorter DCL cruise. I think taking it before you board is crucial. Also, don't let up even though you feel fine. Our last night back to Port was the roughest seas the whole trip.

Have a great trip!

What might be safe for one person, might not be for another. Maybe you should direct this question to your doctor?

I guess, but I've taken both so I'm not allergic to either. I would assume if there is a chemical reaction between the two I wouldn't be the only one to have that reaction. I was asking if anyone mixes the two and have lived to tell about it. And if I were a medical anomaly that had a reaction when no one else did, my doctor probably coulnd't foresee that anyway....:) But I do appreciate the overcautioness.

I get VERY seasick too on anything that moves.

I have always started one Bonine (the dosage states 1-2 per 24hrs.) in the evening, the night before the cruise as others have recommended. We have hit some pretty rough seas on our October cruises and I then take another in the a.m. or sometime during the day and have yet to have a problem.

The key is to stay ahead of it and I believe the ginger is good to settle a upset stomach.

I have some candied ginger but where do you purchase ginger pills? Are they available in the vitamin section? I am not taking any chances this time, so thanks for all the great info that I have already gotten:D

I got the ginger pills at Walgreens. They weren't expensive. They are, I think, 500mg and I take two together about an hour and a half before I fly or go on roller coasters. I'll probably take two in the morning, and the bonine in the evening. I guess I'll start the bonine on the 25th, take ginger in the am on the 26th for the flight, then continue that routine till I get home on the 2nd! Thanks for all the help. Reading about how others solve the dilemma really helps us newer cruisers. Thanks!

My husband is VERY prone to seasickness. Before our first cruise, I stocked up for him on ginger tablets, some other "natural" remedy I found, and those elastic wrist bands that are supposed to press on pulse points to prevent/relieve seasickness. None of those things worked for him and I thought we'd never cruise again... until we discovered meclizine.

Meclizine is the generic name of the active ingredient in both Bonine and Dramamine Less Drowsy. Most drugstores carry a generic version right next to the name brand, and it's usually much cheaper. My husband takes one a day before bed starting the day before we leave; if it really starts to get rough, he'll take another pill. He hasn't had a problem on our 8 other cruises with this regimen. I only take one if it starts to get rough, and I've never gotten sick either. Neither of us has a problem with alcohol interfering in any way (and we've tested it thoroughly! LOL).

Some time back, I bought a Relief Band (http://www.reliefband.com/main.html), just in case. I got it on eBay, where it was cheaper than most other sources. Although it once worked for me (on land) after... uhm... overindulging, I've never had to use it for seasickness. On our last cruise, though, one of our friends borrowed it because she was feeling queasy-- and it worked like a charm for her. The main benefit is that it works AFTER the fact, whereas a pill probably won't stay down long enough to be effective.

I have gotten sick on every cruise... except my last one. I finally started taking the Bonine BEFORE I needed to and it worked. I took one two days prior to cruising so that it was in my system. Once we were on board, every morning I took two. (it says 1-2 every day) I had no problems at all, and we evening went on a sailing excursion where my sister got sick (who never gets sick and never takes anything) and I was perfectly fine. Also, I drank with it every night and never had any problems and I was not tired at all.

Mckinna,

I have used The patch and Bonine on separate occasions. I find they both work very well for me. I did not like the patch because it gave me a very dry mouth and some blurred vision. Also, you need a prescription from your doc and as you said it is expensive! For me, one Bonine a day before bed does the trick!

I get motion sick very easily, can't even watch videos that are taken of kids! I take start taking bonine the day before the cruise and continue taking 2 to 3 days after I get back. We have been through some 15 to 18 ft swells in November b4 with seasick bags all up and down the halls and I have been fine. I take the bonine every night just chew it up and then have no problem drinking the next day. Even if it makes me a little "wierd" I guess I don't care since I am not driving!!!!! lol

OhioCruiseMom

Check out the price for generic meclizine (same medicine as Bonine) it is a lot cheaper and can be purchased in a bottle of 100 tabs.

Just ask the pharmacist, they keep it behind the counter. It is non-prescription (in most states).

I take one each night at bedtime, and one in the morning if the seas are rough.

I should note that I can get carsick backing out of the driveway, if someone else is driving.

Meclizine works wonders for me.

Hypo

Mckinna,

I have used The patch and Bonine on separate occasions. I find they both work very well for me. I did not like the patch because it gave me a very dry mouth and some blurred vision. Also, you need a prescription from your doc and as you said it is expensive! For me, one Bonine a day before bed does the trick!

The dry mouth side effect is very irritating. As for the blurred vision, a friend of mine had applied a patch, and didn't was her hands very well, and put in her contact right afterwards. She came to dinner and complained of blurred vision in one of her eyes. When I looked at it, the pupil was completely dilated! She thought for a minute she had a stroke! She went to the ship's clinic, and they told her it was the patch. Ever since then, I have made sure I washed thoroughly after handling the patch.

I will try the Bonine this time and see how it works. Thanks everyone for their replies.

I too have used Bonine and ginger when flying with great results, and am also one who easily gets nauseous from motion. Will be interesting to see if they work for my first ever cruise coming up in 23 days! I also have some meclizine leftover from a previous prescription and will bring that too.

I have also used the scopolamine patch and it works well, I do get a bit of a dry mouth but the key to avoid that is to drink plenty of water. The problem I have with the scop patch is a hypersensitivity to motion after I take it off! I get soooooooooooo dizzy just looking around the room! I've had that reaction pretty severely twice now and even had to go see my doctor and get IV fluids from being so dehydrated from puking for 2 days after I used it! If you plan on using it for the first time be sure to ask the pharmacist how many days in a row you can safely use it. I think each patch is good for 3 days, but I don't think using patches back to back is recommended, I could be wrong.

>I get seasick on a swingset

Oh I love this. My mother says I was born with motion sickness and it still takes nothing to get me going. I can't use most of the medicines but pure ginger capsules work great and without any side effects. I take them whenever the ship is moving but can sometimes miss a port day without a problem. I find that whenever I react to anything, like someone else driving or a movie, a ginger capsule works within 30 minutes.

I have used the generic Meclazine and it works very well also. Here in Massachusetts you need a prescription for meclazine, so that is why I generally just buy the CVS version of Bonine....very inexpensive and works great!

I have used the generic Meclazine and it works very well also. Here in Massachusetts you need a prescription for meclazine, so that is why I generally just buy the CVS version of Bonine....very inexpensive and works great!

It amazes me what the different States consider the requirements for prescription meds should be. I think it is mostly who has the biggest lobbyist on their payroll.

Here in Arkansas you can buy a 100 tab bottle of meclizine, over the counter, and it is about $9.50

Hypo

We just got off the Explorer last week out of NJ with 18 ft seas......I was so fearful of getting seasick. I gave my whole family Boninne before we left the house on the morning of sailing to get a jump on sea sickness.........We have never been seasick before but always had smooth sailing and this being the first sail out of NJ we knew to experience some rougher seas.

It hit us like a ton of bricks late that afternoon we were all exhausted from the pill (it was not the travel because we only live 35 minutes from the port by car) and we all felt a little weird in our heads. That was Boninne. The seas were somewhat rough but we decided to take the Ginger Pills instead (which are labeled Ginger Root for anyone looking to purchase them) We had no issue but don't know if we would have gotten sea sick or not without them. Any way towards the end of the 12 day cruise on the 10th day it was announced that we would be hitting 20 ft swells that evening.......I made the decision to better feel tired and weird then be seasick so I made my family take the Boninne after dinner before the real rocking and rolling started.......... It got real bad that night but we still did not get seasick.....the rough seas continued the next day and we did not take the Boninne again but alas took the Ginger pills and never had a problem.....Do with that information what you will. Did they work? Maybe but I don't know if we would or would not have gotten sea sick anyway. I did however once get airsick on plane but never in a car or other times on a plane.

Archived