Unanswered question on ginger and bonine

OK, how about some advice for a first time cruiser.

Neither my husband or I have ever been motion sick. We own a boat and go out on the lake in rough water, but I know that is very different than being on a cruise ship.

My question is, I don't like to take much in the way of medication. If I forgo any medication, will the ginger work for me if I would start feeling bad. Also may buy a wrist band to have "just in case" But I don't understand exactly how they work.

One more thought to add - take an afternoon nap! I also get drowsy on Bonine and I have come to look forward to getting a nap before dinner (it helps to have the late seating). It's the only way I can stay up past 11:00 and it has the added bonus of feeling deliciously decadent!:)

OK, how about some advice for a first time cruiser.

Neither my husband or I have ever been motion sick. We own a boat and go out on the lake in rough water, but I know that is very different than being on a cruise ship.

My question is, I don't like to take much in the way of medication. If I forgo any medication, will the ginger work for me if I would start feeling bad. Also may buy a wrist band to have "just in case" But I don't understand exactly how they work.

I have gotten sick on a small (20') boat many times... but never on a cruise ship. They're much more stable.

There is no way to predict if ginger will work for you. But the purser's desk will give you meclizine if you need it-- at no charge. The wrist bands work by pressing against a pressure point. Some folks swear by them, but they didn't work for my husband at all. Neither did the ginger. But the meclizine did. And since it works for 24 hours, taking it before bed seems to prevent any daytime drowsiness.

I have used the generic Meclazine and it works very well also. Here in Massachusetts you need a prescription for meclazine, so that is why I generally just buy the CVS version of Bonine....very inexpensive and works great!

The CVS "version" is generic meclizine! The only difference between that and the prescription version is the strength-- it's like buying ibuprofen over the counter or getting a prescription for Motrin (same ingredient; higher strength).

Archived