Maui for the Day - Suggestions

mktmzm

My husband and I are planning to fly from Honolulu to Maui for the day. We are the kind of people who like the "Discovery Channel" and want to rent a jeep for the day and tour. Can someone offer me suggestions on a route and itinerary?

We will arrive early via Hawaiian Airlines and leave probably around 8:30pm.

Thanks in advance!

Marcy

I usually just drive around and sight see. Our favorite trip is: first up Haleakala which has mostly clear weather in morning then it hazes up in afternoon. Then to Makawao, Paia which are both nice places to walk around and find a cute restaurant (Paia). Then go watch wind surfers near by then on to Wailuku and Iao Needle.

Another day trip is to go direct to Lahaina and Kaanapali. Way beyond Kaanapali there is a good rock beach that we go snorkling, sorry don't know the name.

Another single day trip for us is to go to Hana and Seven Pools, with stops along the way to look at views and vegetation.

Tried a jeep once and it was noisy and hard riding. We stick with a compact car because of comfortable ride and it is easy on the gas. The last time we drove the first route, we paid more for the gas than the daily rental fee on the car!

If you are there for the whole day, drive the Road to Hana. We did this recently and loved it...there are so many beautiful sites along the way and the Black Sand Beach is beautiful. If you decide to do this, check out the Maui Revealed book from your library. Make copies of the pages you need...it tells you what mile marker to look for to see certain sites. It was very helpful. Also, I don't know where you live, but the Road to Hana is like driving in the mountains, so if you're not used to mountain road driving, it can be a little nerve wracking. It didn't bother us because we're used to NC mountains, but we noticed some people who obviously scared to death driving it.

If you look at my pictures, just keep going until you see the ones captioned Road to Hana. You will see many that I took on the way.

If you are there for the whole day, drive the Road to Hana. Check out the Maui Revealed book and make copies of the page you need. It gives you very good directions and mile markers to look for to see beautiful sites.

If you look at my pictures, look for the ones captioned Road to Hana and then enlarge. I took LOTS on the Road to Hana. You will see many beautiful sites and the Black Sand Beach is georgeous! Have fun.

If you are flying in for the day, I would advise against the road to Hana. You will not experience much of Maui - and you will spend most of the day in the car driving. The driver will have to spend the entire day focussing on the drive as it is not a relaxing task - and you have a plane to catch at the end of the journey.

I would instead recommend a journey into Iao Valley if you want a nice nature visit on the island - http://www.hawaiiweb.com/maui/sites_to_see/IaoValleyStatePark.htm

A trip up Haleakala is fun - how 'bout a horseback ride into the crater? I agree with shemo - Makawao is a fun town. It is a paniolo town (cowboy) town upcountry (up the volcano). Lots of galleries for browsing. It has become an arts community along the years. Paia has always been a favorite little place of mine as well. Little boutiques and cafes.

But to me, West Maui is my favorite place on the island. So, I would pick up the car, visit Iao Valley for a couple hours, then head over to West Maui. I'd stay on the highway and go all the way up to the Kapalua (so you want to spend some time at a semi-private beach? if so - look for the Ironwoods up at Kapalua...you'll probably be the only ones there) area then come back to Kaanapali. So you want to snorkel? If so, a popular place is Black Rock (the Sheraton) at Kaanapali - there are sea turtles there. Great!!! Just a note - if you do like horseback riding, there is horseback riding up by Kapalua too.

Before heading into downtown Lahaina, I'd stop at the Japanese Jodo Mission (http://gohawaii.about.com/library/weekly/aa061499.htm) Then I'd head into Lahaina and have a meal at Kimo's (but beachchick would tell you to go to Lahaina Fish Company ;) )...they are 2 or 3 doors from each other and you are going to get an excellent meal at either one of them. (But you're only going to get Hula Pie at Kimo's!)

What time of year are you going to be there? During whale season? If so, take a whale watch with Pacific Whale Foundation out of Lahaina. They do a wonderful job.

If I only had one day in Maui, I honestly would spend it in West Maui...but that's my opinion. No matter what you decided to do, I hope you have a fabulous day in Maui. It is a magical island. I fell under its spell many years ago. I'm counting the days until my return. If you have any specific questions, let me know. I'll be happy to answer what I can.

Do any of your folks have local knowledge about Little Makena Beach? I was there about 20 years ago and it was Hippie Heaven and clothing optional on a spectacular beach. I am hoping to drop in there for the day later this month as part of my World Cruise. Any idea how far it is from the cruise port on Maui? Shall I cab it or rent a moped? Any suggestions are appreciated.

I agree with Beach4me -- I'd spend the day in West Maui with a stop first at the Iao Valley. But if you want to do Hana, I'd suggest looking at the Hana Sky Trek (I think the company is Temptation Tours). When we took the tour, there was a couple in the van with us who had flown over from Honolulu for the day so it's definitely doable. The tour combines a Blue Hawaiian helicopter tour of south Maui with the Road to Hana. We flew to Hana and then boarded a van for the road trip. The flight took us right by Haleakala -- quite spectacular! The van trip was great -- only five passengers on our trip and we all had individual captain's seats -- very comfortable. Plus we had a native guide who showed us all the highlights. I know a lot of people recommend driving the Road to Hana on your own, but I'm very glad that I didn't -- I would have missed so much!

Do any of your folks have local knowledge about Little Makena Beach? I was there about 20 years ago and it was Hippie Heaven and clothing optional on a spectacular beach. I am hoping to drop in there for the day later this month as part of my World Cruise. Any idea how far it is from the cruise port on Maui? Shall I cab it or rent a moped? Any suggestions are appreciated.

There are two cruise ports on Maui. Kahului (east) is the primary NCLA port and is more than an hour's drive one-way to Makena (to the beach parking). Lahaina is on the same side of the island (west) as Makena and is between 50 minutes and an hour one-way from the tender pier area in Lahaina. Of course, traffic can affect those times. Less traffic and a good day, you could make it in a bit less time.

Moped? No way, you'd be on the main road/highway and a moped really wouldn't be appropriate. Taxi would be in the neighborhood of $150 r/t. I don't recall seeing any taxis hanging around Makena, so you'd have to either call or make arrangements in advance for pickup. Are you willing to rent a car? That would be the least expensive option, plus it gives you complete flexibility (which is a very good thing, IMO).

beachchick

I will be coming from Oahu. Which airport do you recommend for us to spend the day?

If you're going to visit Iao Valley and you're wanting to definitely make that part of your visit, I'd say Kahului. I'd fly into Kahului and start the day at Iao Valley and go from there.

If you're going going to spend the entire day in West Maui (Kapalua, Kaanapali, Lahaina) - and you're okay with turboprops - you could opt for Kapalua. I've never flown into Kapalua so I can't comment on the facilities (I'm NOT a fan of turboprops). I know that the golfers were joking about the baggage claim last week for the Mercedes Open as a number of them flew into Kapalua (didn't get the whole story but apparently Elton John was also visiting the same week and his bags took up the whole baggage claim area as it is not a big airport) but you won't have to worry about baggage claim/check. Then if you had time, you could make the drive over to Iao Valley, knowing that if it's not a priority for you, you might opt to just spend the entire day in West Maui. That would definitely give you the option of spending much more time in West Maui without worrying about the drive from/to Kahului.

Probably 98% of the folks visiting Maui fly into Kahului. It is definitely the airport that people think of when they refer to "the airport on Maui".

Thanks, all! I think I'll try and make the trip. We are docking in Lahaina on Friday, January 25th. Are there any rental agencies there at the port? I have driving directions and think it would be a fabulous way to spend the day there.

No, there are no rental companies right at any of the docks/piers in Hawaii. (The closest exception is Kona where Thrifty and Dollar have locations for cruise pax at the King Kamehameha Hotel across the street from the Kona tender pier.)

You will be tendered (not docked) at Lahaina. You can rent from Hertz in Lahaina on Papalaua (I think). It's about a 15 minute walk from the tender pier, but they send shuttles. That is their "West Maui Rental Center" location. You can rent from Hertz or Enterprise at different hotels on Ka'anapali Beach (about 10 minutes by shuttle north of Lahaina). You can rent from the West Maui Airport locations (which are actually on a side street a bit south of the airport and less than 15 minutes north by shuttle). The airport designator is JHM. Do not rent from the Kahului locations if you are tendered at Lahaina as it is almost an hour's drive one-way and no company will send shuttles. (Besides, you don't want to tie up that much of your day just getting to and from the rental location.)

Have a great beach day.

beachchick

No, there are no rental companies right at any of the docks/piers in Hawaii. (The closest exception is Kona where Thrifty and Dollar have locations for cruise pax at the King Kamehameha Hotel across the street from the Kona tender pier.)

You will be tendered (not docked) at Lahaina. You can rent from Hertz in Lahaina on Papalaua (I think). It's about a 15 minute walk from the tender pier, but they send shuttles. That is their "West Maui Rental Center" location. You can rent from Hertz or Enterprise at different hotels on Ka'anapali Beach (about 10 minutes by shuttle north of Lahaina). You can rent from the West Maui Airport locations (which are actually on a side street a bit south of the airport and less than 15 minutes north by shuttle). The airport designator is JHM. Do not rent from the Kahului locations if you are tendered at Lahaina as it is almost an hour's drive one-way and no company will send shuttles. (Besides, you don't want to tie up that much of your day just getting to and from the rental location.)

I've only rented from Enterprise at it's Ka'anapali Beach location. It was OK but just a desk in a small room & she had to do people 1-at-a-time, which took extra time to check out the car and then again to wait for the shuttle back to the pier.

Are the rental locations "by" the airport more efficient for getting a car & then afterwards a shuttle back to the pier? Do they have regular rental counters with more than 1 person like those at most airport locations?

Thanks for all the assistance, folks! I have reserved from Hertz at their West Maui location, which appeared to be the closest. The have pick-up and drop off service to the pier. Their rates were not the lowest, but I trust Hertz and have their Gold Service, which means no paperwork. With a discount, it will be about $50 for the day.

I've only rented from Enterprise at it's Ka'anapali Beach location. It was OK but just a desk in a small room & she had to do people 1-at-a-time, which took extra time to check out the car and then again to wait for the shuttle back to the pier.

Are the rental locations "by" the airport more efficient for getting a car & then afterwards a shuttle back to the pier? Do they have regular rental counters with more than 1 person like those at most airport locations?

We've never rented from the JHM locations (or any other west Maui location) because we always fly into Kahului (and our PoH cruise didn't include a Lahaina stop). However, we stay in Lahaina and know the surrounding area well.

I can only report what others have learned as far as specifics, but I can tell you that we've seen the JHM rental locations (driving by). I call it "rental row" because it's on a side street right off 30, and you can see the rental company buildings as you drive by. They look like regular old rental car buildings, one for each company, and are not attached to any resort or hotel. Because they service the commuter airport, they're not going to be as big or have any many cars, but I believe they are set up just like the larger airport ones with regular counters, etc.

I'm sure someone who's actually rented from the JHM locations will chime in with first-hand details. I mention that "rental row" is a bit south of the airport (and thus, closer to Lahaina--a good thing when you have to shuttle) because it has been an issue for some that they're not actually at the airport. They close early, but members have mentioned that they have after-hours drop off. Although that does mean that you'll need to taxi back to Lahaina. I'm going to guess approximately $15.

Hope that helps a bit.

beachchick

Archived