Debit card for sign & sail?

sp29488

I think that you probably CAN use a debit card, but I would advise against it. Debit cards are highly susceptible to be targeted for fraud. They are not as protected as Credit cards. I just read an article (I believe in Reader's Digest) about the dangers of using DC's. They suggested that you should never use them while traveling and not to use them anywhere that they leave your sight (resturants, etc.) Plus I imagine it would place a pretty large hold on the account that could take days for the funds to be made available again. I would just take the cash out of the account prior to sailing and set up a cash deposit for the sign and sail card. Money is coming from the same place it's just safer.

Believe me....I'm a debit card fanatic. I never carry cash. But the article really made me think about the way I use the DC.

Misty

Note:

• The American Express "Persona Select" is not an acceptable credit card.

• Regular ATM debit cards are not acceptable.

• Guests may use a checking account debit card as long as it is a registered MasterCard or Visa card.

• A guest traveling without his/her parents cannot use the parents' credit card even with the parents' written permission

• The cardholding guest must be an authorized signer by the card issuing bank.

• Upon completion of the Sail & Sign Application Form, the cardholder agrees to pay for the individuals indicated on the form; it is not necessary for these individuals to be booked in the same room as the cardholder.

Important Note: A hold will be placed on the credit card or checking account debit card at the beginning of the cruise as a deposit for an onboard purchases. This will reduce the amount of available credit on the credit card or restrict the availability of cash in the checking account. The hold will be released and actual charges will be billed at the end of the cruise.

The following dollar amounts, per guest, are used as a deposit and placed as a hold on the credit card when the Sail & Sign Account is opened:

2-4 day cruises: $100 deposit pp

5-8 day cruises: $200 deposit pp

9 + day cruises: $350 deposit pp

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Sail_And_Sign_On_Board_Account.aspx

I agree with MistyRo76, I would never use a debit card for traveling. If he doesn't have a credit card he should bring cash as well as his debit card for use in case of an emergency.

They don't put a hold on cash. :D The cash is deducted from his account as he spends money on the ship, beginning with the tips. When his account is low he will be notified. If he runs out of cash he will be denied purchases onboard.

They don't put a hold on cash. :D The cash is deducted from his account as he spends money on the ship, beginning with the tips. When his account is low he will be notified. If he runs out of cash he will be denied purchases onboard.

Sorry, I worded that wrong. What I meant to say was: Would he be required to put down $100pp for a 4 day cruise? I'm sure you would want to put down more than that but just was asking because I know he's going to ask me :)

Sorry, I worded that wrong. What I meant to say was: Would he be required to put down $100pp for a 4 day cruise? I'm sure you would want to put down more than that but just was asking because I know he's going to ask me :)

If you click on the link I posted above it will take you to the Carnival FAQ for setting up your ship board account. It will give you the cash amounts required for different length cruises.:)

Just so you know........we always use cash and we have never been required to put anything more than tip money on our sail and sign account, of course we always put a little extra but never the amount they say they require and DH and I always "share" a sail and sign account (meaning all of our money is pooled from one account)

Hope this helps!!

We used a debit card last cruise and had no problems

Those that complain that they have a problem usually do not have enough in the account for the hold amount AND the actually charges. So if Carnival puts a $500.00 hold on the account that hold stays on the account until after the actual charges are posted.

Others have posted that sometimes the actual charges get denied because the balance in the account will not accomodate the hold amount and the actual charge amount.

For our family of 4 I put down $800 cash the first day. I did this becasue I didn't want the larger hold on my debit card and we do not have credit cards. Then on the last day, when our account was low (about $100) I put down my check card. I was told by the Purser (and it was true) that at that time a $10 hold would be placed on my card. So when we went over the $800 Carnival charged the debit card the total amount. We got off the ship on a Saturday and it was Wednesday of the next week before I saw the charge.

Hope this helps.

I've heard the holds can be on your card even after the cruise is over which could cause problems with bills/purchases you need to make with your debit card. Plus if something is charged incorrectly, you don't have as much protection as you would from a credit card.

Whatever card is used, debit, visa whatever, make sure to contact them that you are going on a cruise & put a note with dates on your account so they don't stop payment for fraud. I forgot to do that before my last cruise and when my debit card was denied for purchase in Hawaii, I called from the ship and they made note of it on my account & released the hold.

I have used my debit card on almost every cruise... mine is through the credit union and has the visa logo, I have had one incident (here on land) where my card was compromised and it was taken care of much quicker than I previous incident I had with my AMEX... Yes, there is a hold so make sure you have double the amount you intend to spend in the account. I don't use my debit card in the islands, only for my S&S card... have never had a problem, and know from past experience that if I did have a problem, it would be taken care of, thankfully I haven't had a problem with it on any cruise. My credit union generally releases the hold within 24 hours, it's gone by the time I get home... Another idea, on my last cruise I purchased funship dollars for months prior to the cruise and had them applied to my account, my ending balance was glorious and I didn't have to worry about putting ANY card on my account...

I think that you probably CAN use a debit card, but I would advise against it. Debit cards are highly susceptible to be targeted for fraud. They are not as protected as Credit cards. I just read an article (I believe in Reader's Digest) about the dangers of using DC's. They suggested that you should never use them while traveling and not to use them anywhere that they leave your sight (resturants, etc.) Plus I imagine it would place a pretty large hold on the account that could take days for the funds to be made available again. I would just take the cash out of the account prior to sailing and set up a cash deposit for the sign and sail card. Money is coming from the same place it's just safer.

Believe me....I'm a debit card fanatic. I never carry cash. But the article really made me think about the way I use the DC.

Misty

You are absolutely right, many have a false sense of security with debit cards, while most banking institutions will do the right thing, you may be flat broke in your checking account while they investigate the problem, again some banks are very good about this, others can take as much as two weeks to sort it out, in the meantime debits, checks etc.. will be declined.

When people think they are protected by VISA or Mastercard, they need to realize that this is only for SIGNED for transactions, PIN based are approved through a whole different system and VISA?Mastercard protections do not apply.

I've heard the holds can be on your card even after the cruise is over which could cause problems with bills/purchases you need to make with your debit card. Plus if something is charged incorrectly, you don't have as much protection as you would from a credit card.

Whatever card is used, debit, visa whatever, make sure to contact them that you are going on a cruise & put a note with dates on your account so they don't stop payment for fraud. I forgot to do that before my last cruise and when my debit card was denied for purchase in Hawaii, I called from the ship and they made note of it on my account & released the hold.

Very sound advise, I will add that I carry 1 or 2 cards with me, and keep one in the safe on the ship, so if I were to lose my wallet in port or have it stolen, I have a back-up to use when I cancel the other cards, for sign and sail, and the trip home.

I know some don't believe in credit cards that's OK, but remember that credit does not equal debt I have multiple cards but never carry a balance, and pay no interest. These cards make travel a breeze, I even have 2 that charge nothing to convert currency, one less hassle compared to cash.

When I didn't have credit cards, I had a second checking account and put my travel money in there and used the debit card, this card was only used for travel, and my bill money wasn't put at risk.;)

MAC

Carnival is probably as safe as any other merchant to use your card with but just make sure you have enough balance to cover the holds plus what you charge. On my June cruise, the our $250 s&s bill posted the day after we returned. The $250 hold didn't come off until 5 days later - effectively tying up $500 even though we only spent $250. This was on a credit card so I didn't really care but as a banker have see it cause problems when that hold isn't released quickly.

I would never use my debit card in a foreign port. I don't want to return home to no balance in my checking account in the event of fraud and have to deal with getting it credited back. With a credit card, you simply don't pay the bill while it is straightened out.

When people think they are protected by VISA or Mastercard, they need to realize that this is only for SIGNED for transactions, PIN based are approved through a whole different system and VISA?Mastercard protections do not apply.

Very true... but when using your debit card for your S&S, it is considered a signed transaction, not pin based... To each their own, I have 2 Visa Debit cards and 1 MC debit and I have had a problem with one on land, and the money was put into my account within hours while the problem was resolved... I agree it depends on the bank, and it is worth discussing with your banker. I've been a customer at my bank for 20 years and I feel very comfortable with the bank issued cards I have with them. I wouldn't use the cards in a foreign country, but have no problem using them with Carnival, just as I wouldn't have a problem using it at a department store...

Very true... but when using your debit card for your S&S, it is considered a signed transaction, not pin based... To each their own, I have 2 Visa Debit cards and 1 MC debit and I have had a problem with one on land, and the money was put into my account within hours while the problem was resolved... I agree it depends on the bank, and it is worth discussing with your banker. I've been a customer at my bank for 20 years and I feel very comfortable with the bank issued cards I have with them. I wouldn't use the cards in a foreign country, but have no problem using them with Carnival, just as I wouldn't have a problem using it at a department store...

Yeah but does your debit card pay you cash back, just for using it?;)

MAC

Yeah but does your debit card pay you cash back, just for using it?;)

MAC

I have a few rewards programs that are attached to the card itself, but not really concerned with cash back for my personal use... I use my AMEX to get points. I prefer not to have credit cards outside of my business, and I don't fall for the lure of all the rewards, for many they can handle it, but credit cards know what they are doing and it's one of the reasons it's such a big problem in this country, I just don't want to take part in it... to each their own, just not for me :)

I have a few rewards programs that are attached to the card itself, but not really concerned with cash back for my personal use... I use my AMEX to get points. I prefer not to have credit cards outside of my business, and I don't fall for the lure of all the rewards, for many they can handle it, but credit cards know what they are doing and it's one of the reasons it's such a big problem in this country, I just don't want to take part in it... to each their own, just not for me :)

Yeah finances are very personal. After I dug myself out from under, I promised to never pay any more credit card interest. I Keep a close eye on them and never pay them a dime of fees, always pay at least a week early, and let them send me checks or gift cards, all I ever spend is what is already budgeted, that way I don't get caught in the never ending cycle of debt.

MAC

Archived