Tauranga tides

Capt Blood

I am on the Sapphire in March and I just recieved the shore excursion book. In it, there is an astrek by the arrival time for Tauranga, saying "Port times in Tauranga may vary due to tidal conditions." Originally it was listed as 6:30am until 10:15pm. Now the book says 9am until 8pm. Five hours less is along time, especially if trying to get to Lake Taupo area and enjoy many of the attractions. Are the tides that drastic in Tauranga or is this just Princess wanting to herd us back onto the ship?

The tides in Tauranga aren't unusual - looks more like an error. The ship usually comes in early in the morning after overnight crusing from Auckland, then stays for the day. Excursions in the local area - often to Rotorua which is an hour's drive - or shopping/exploring/dining in the port village (Mount Maunganui) or city (Tauranga itself). Walkers will have plenty of time to go around or up the "Mount" which is nearby. Great views, lovely walk.

There are usually port "hosts" at the port gates to provide advice - the city funds them, so it's free and safe.

I don't know which cruise you are on (to NZ or from NZ) but the Port of Tauranga website shows the following arrival/departure times for the Sapphire Princess in Tauranga:

Sydney/Auckland: 8 March 2008 Arrive 0815 Depart 2030

Auckland/Sydney: 10 March 2008 Arrive 0500 Depart 2215

These are different from the timings that you have, but if that isn't confusing enough, the arrival/departure times on Sapphire Princess' next cruise to/from Auckland on exactly the same itinerary as yours is different again:

Arrive 20/01/2008 07:15 Depart 20/01/2008 18:00

Arrive 22/01/2008 08:00 Depart 22/01/2008 19:45

All this leads me to the conclusion that the tidal conditions do come into the equation and indeed, I just checked the port authority website which says

"The Port of Tauranga is a tidal port catering for a maximum draught of 11.7m at low water and 13m at high water. However, the volume of water flowing through the entrance to the Port means that we have an "arrival and departure window" for vessels according to their handling capabilities."

What it all means I don't know. I would be more inclined to accept the port authority times since I have seen many errors in Princess' printed material in the past (possibly because they are prepared so long in advance) but I think in any case, I would rethink driving to Taupo, which is a good 2 hours drive from the port, just to be on the safe side ... but that's me!

Cheers

Bob

I am on the Sapphire in March and I just recieved the shore excursion book. In it, there is an astrek by the arrival time for Tauranga, saying "Port times in Tauranga may vary due to tidal conditions." Originally it was listed as 6:30am until 10:15pm. Now the book says 9am until 8pm. Five hours less is along time, especially if trying to get to Lake Taupo area and enjoy many of the attractions. Are the tides that drastic in Tauranga or is this just Princess wanting to herd us back onto the ship?

Hi Captain Blood,

I am sorry that your day in Tauranga is going to be shortened. However, please believe that it is not just Princess trying to herd you back onto the ship.

Bobsydney helpfully gave you information on the draft of ships and on the currents that can prevail here. I have also copied this from a web site that I found while googling Tauranga and tides:

"Tauranga Harbour

Tidal stretch of water between Matakana Island and the North Island mainland. It joins the Pacific Ocean through the northern Katikati and the southern Tauranga entrances.

The harbour encompasses some 200 sq km and has a tidal range of up to 1.98 m. Approximately 290 million tonnes of water flow through the entrances at each tidal change."

Now, what that means is this: Matakana Island is about 30 Kilometres long (about 20 miles) and it almost entirely blocks the entrance to Tauranga Harbour. The only way for the tide to enter and exit Tauranga Harbour is through the two entrances, one at each end of Matakana Island. While the level of the tidal rise and fall is not exceptional, 290 million tonnes is a lot of water and both entrances are relatively narrow. Therefore, the currents can be severe and no captain will ignore the advice of the harbour master. Thus, unfortunately, your stay in Tauranga will be shortened.

Your ship will be using the (larger) Tauranga entrance, to get to Mount Maunganui (which is really part of greater Tauranga). I have watched the tidal race at the Katikati entrance and it races through at a frightening speed. this entrance is not navigable for shipping.

If you can find one, have a look at a map of Tauranga and you will see what I have been trying to explain.

Thanks much for the responses. I have also looked at the tidal charts for this port and understand that there is a window to enter and exit the harbour. I guess the times printed by Princess are in fact estimates neccessary due to the variations in tide times. I still am going to keep my fingers crossed. I have a rental car reserved and regardless, I intend to see as much of this area as possible.

I guess the times printed by Princess are in fact estimates neccessary due to the variations in tide times. I still am going to keep my fingers crossed. I have a rental car reserved and regardless, I intend to see as much of this area as possible.

I don't see a problem with your plan...just dont get carried away by the scenery and be late for sailaway. ;)

Check the up-to-date Port ETA's ETD's..which are more accurate than Princess.

http://www.port-tauranga.co.nz/Shipping-Information/Cruise-Schedules

Enjoy this beautiful part of the North Island...don't miss HUKA FALLS :p

B E V

Thanks BEV. That is a very helpful website. I checked it, and according to there schedule we will be arriving quite early...around 5 and departing around 10pm. That corresponds to the tide information i found which indicates high tides around these arrival and departure times. Looks like I am going to enjoy a full day in the Taupo area. We have an 11am tee time at Wairakei International golf course and should have no problem making that. Still plan to check with authorities to make sure I dont miss the boat.

Archived