If not Grenada, then where should the ship go ?

curiousx

It is really a shame that Grenada got wacked. When my wife and I went on a sabatical in the eastern caribbean on our sailboat about 10 years ago, we dropped by because we heard about a July 4th party for sailboaters and we wound up spending an entire month there. The scenery inland is fantastic and the people are kind and gentle. Of course there is the odd crime of property (our boat got burgled), but even considering that experience, we truly loved Grenada.

Amen to Seabourn sea days -- we LOVE them. We sailed Ft Lauderdale to Valpariso last Jan because 1) is was discounted 50% 2) it had 9 sea days out of 18 :-)

Capt. John

Bequia could be a good alternate. Personally one of my favorites. The people are so friendly and the Seabourn ships are small enough to get into the port.

We will be there on our November 28th sailing of the Pride.

mcboo:):)

Hard to think of ports at this time. We used to live on Grand Cayman...and it has suffered devastation. The large ships that are used to going there will not find it a place to go in the foreseeable future. We have friends who have lost homes and businesses...so sad!

Yes, Bequia is fabulous (as are most of the Seabourn islands)! However, this aside, why would Grenada be "eliminated" and why are you speculating that it might be? See you all onboard the triplets.

Cruisecrazyone,

80 percent of the structures on the island have been destroyed by hurricane Ivan

mcboo

Thanks for your update. We are, definitely, not insensitive to the horrible situation in the islands and in Florida. Just missed reports on that particular island. Trust that the awful damages were specific to "hardware" and not to the population. It is difficult to relate to the real world when one's heart is on Seabourn! Champagne wishes and caviar dreams to all!

It is truly a shame that conventional media have done such a poor job of informing people of the true state of the damage that Ivan has done, particularly ithe devastation in Grenada (including some 40-50 lives lost) and the Caymans.

Fortunately, there is an excellent website, run by volunteers, which is not only providing hurricane updates, but also prints island by island status reports contributed by on-the-ground eyewitnesses. It is also a major vehicle for communicating information about relief efforts and for helping people get in touch with their families and friends.

During storm season, I highly recommend daily visits to http://stormcarib.com/

You will be amazed by the weather news that we have not heard or seen.

curiousx

Thanks for letting us know about the website.Just looked at it and you get

a very candid picture of what has happened to the Islands. It is a real shame

and I wish there was a way to help.Maybe making people aware will get these beautiful Islands the help from countries they need in order to recover.

My thoughts and prayers go out to them as well as our Floridians and surrounding States that have really been and still are suffering from the

devastating hurricane season we have had this year.I hope this is the end of

it for everyone's sake.

emmylou

Our dear old Spice island is so hurting right now! Imagine all the nutmeg orchards and so forth! Small wonder that the arrival of cruise ships is a bit down the list of priorities for the moment. All of us await their word when they can again welcome us. It's even harder to get word about the other Grenadines, Mayreau, etc.

bgood

Last Friday's ( Sept. 17) Destinations section of USA Today newspaper had a wonderful article with a display box outlining the staus of each of the major islands and where to get more information. I have not been to Grenada in a number of years -- it is hard to imagine the magnitude of the devastation. I wonder if all of the beautiful white powdered sand at Grand Anse Beach has disappeard. We experienced an unusually large number of tornados in the D.C. area on Friday but thankfully the number of fatalities was low. So I can only imagine how devastated people in a country with limited means must feel. Unfortunately just when they need the cruise ship revenues the most they will have to do without them.

• 1 month later...

I have just checked the Seabourn website and, at least through to Dec 5, it looks as though Grenada stops are being replaced by St. Vincent.

I've copied below a post I made elsewhere re what to do in St. Vincent. This is an island I know quite well, so please feel free to post questions and I will answer as best I can.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unlike the smaller Grenadines (Bequia, Mustique, etc.), the main island of St. Vincent is not known for great beaches though there are a few hidden gems. It is, however, an ecotourist's paradise with something for everyone, no matter what your age or fitness level.

At the top end of exertion is a climb up the Soufriere volcano - 2 hours or more each way plus a long drive to get there, but well worth it when you reach the top. (Take a sweater - it's cold up there!)

At the other end, is a taxi tour around Kingstown including a visit to historic Fort Charlotte and the Botanical Gardens, the oldest in the Western Hemisphere.

One of my personal favourites is a boat trip up the west coast to the Falls of Baleine (note that part of this is a short scramble across some rocks). Most trips also include a stop at one of the locations where Pirates of the Caribbean was filmed and a beach/snorkelling stop at pretty Mount Wynne Bay.

Another excellent trip takes you through the centre of the island to the spectacular Mesopotamia Valley and then up to the Montreal Gardens, a labour of love incorporating formal gardens, mountain views and tropical rain forest.

Waterfall lovers in good shape will enjoy a hike into the triple Trinity Falls whereas those less fit would enjoy picnicking and splashing at the newly opened Darkview Falls in a romantic bamboo glade. If you go to Darkview Falls, you might also have time to work in a short hike up the Buccament Nature Trail, home to the endangered St. Vincent parrot. The best time to see them is in the late afternoon, but you will certainly hear them calling all around you (sounding a bit like a squeaky rocking chair).

Although the real beauty of St. Vincent is in the country, Kingstown itself is entertaining too - a raffish rowdy West Indian town - some tourists find it intimidating; others are fascinated by the street-life and the colonial architecture (much sadly being torn down in the name of progress). It's fun to go from visiting the bizarre St. Mary's church to the austere Anglican church next door. Drop in for a rum in the Cobblestone Hotel bar. Visit the lively markets (but people do expect you to ask permission before taking their pictures!).

The largest tour companies are Fantasea and Hazeco, both entirely reputable. I usually go with a Mom and Pop outfit called Chez Norris who do personal tailored tours for small groups at reasonable rates, and they always include a great lunch. Their email address is gotalife@caribsurf.com.

P.S. If you really are set on beaches, take a taxi to one of the hotels in the area called Villa, just north of the airport and hang out there. All beaches in St. Vincent are public. That includes the beach at Young Island Resort, also in Villa and accessible by a short (really short) ferry ride.

P.P.S. for those thinking of hopping over to Bequia, I've pasted the ferry schedules below (ferries leave from quite near the cruise dock). The Seabourn schedules currently say its ships are arriving at 8 a.m. and leaving at 5 p.m., so that does not really give one much time in Bequia (the ferry takes about an hour each way).

Sailings from Bequia to St. Vincent:

Monday-Friday: 6.30am 7.30am 9.30am 1.00pm 2.00pm 4.30pm 5.00pm

Saturday 6.30am 9.30am 10.10am 4.30pm 5.00pm

Sundays/Holidays 7.00am 7.30am 4.30pm 5.00pm

Sailings from St. Vincent to Bequia

Monday-Friday: 8.00am 9.00am 11.00am 1.00pm 4.00pm 4.30pm 6.00pm 7.00pm

Saturday 8.00am 9.00am 12 noon 12.30pm 6.00pm 7.00pm

Sundays/Holidays 8.30am 9.00am 6.00pm 7.00pm

One-way fares on all ferries are EC$15 per person, and EC$28 per person for same day return (with the same ferry company).

• 2 weeks later...

We actually loved our day in St. Vincent. we had a taxi take us to Villa Beach where we had a few drinks and then met Nato- who took us out for a few hours on his little rickety water taxi. We stopped at Young Island for a few cocktails and toured the really neat resort. Great day!

Archived