Cruising on the Spirit

Hello first time on this forum and I was wondering if I get a few questions answered please.

I have never cruised with Thompson so am not sure what to expect. I am looking to book the Ancient Voyage repositioning cruise this April Cyprus, sea, Port Said, Alexandria, sea, Heraklion, sea Valletta, Messina, Naples, Rome, sea, Barcelona, Palma.

Questions::confused:

1.Has anyone done this one before? is it any good? seems to be quite a few days at sea?

2. I have cruised with Island Cruises (escape) twice before, these did what they said on the tin for the price, but I would like a better experience and fancy a change. So how do Thompson campare to Island? better? the same?

3. Is the Spirit a good ship, as I have read some appalling reviews on other sights ie service, noise, vibration.

Thanks in advance, any comments welcome as I need to decide soon.

Hi there

I have cruised with Thomson for past 5 years and it is excellent value for money. Been on the Spirit three times and due to go on this summer. I always do the med cruise so cant comment on the itinery for you but can comment on the Thomson cruise experience

Staff excellent, service first class, food amazing, whereever you eat, shows very high quality, entertainment very varied, something for everyone, ship- well its not your glamorous cruise liner but you get what you pay for- immaculately clean, cabins comfortable and serviced well- turned down every night for you, chocolates, towel scultures and all!

I have never experienced any problems with vibration but I understand the ship is going in for a refit

Organisation excellent, cruisers can be as formal or informal as you wish, depending on your taste.

I am sure you will have a wonderful cruise!

Hi there,

Hope you enjoy your cruise, you will probably be getting on the spirit as I get off. I compare the Thomson cruise ships to a similar standard that Airtours ships use to offer before they stopped doing cruises I did all their four ships.

Then I went on to do the Island Escape, sadly when I was on board it was the week before she hit the newspapers as she had problem with the sewerage system thereon which started in our weeks holiday, but this can happen to any ship just unfortunately, extremely rare. Although I've heard previously people say she use to be a ferry! not sure if this is true or not, I think you will find the rooms on the Thomson ship better, on the Island Escape they had 4 bedded rooms with two pull down beds and the rooms were a little small compared to other ships I've been on which include Thomson's Celebration, which I enjoyed. The food was a little hussle and bussle on the Island whereas on the Thomson ships its a little more social in a nice way! The places your stopping at will be quite varied, loads of history and alsorts to see, in Barcelona you can walk around yourself or find a bus trip therein which would be cheaper, you pay for one ticket and get on and off where you want to I think there are 3 interlinked routes on the bus allow a good day for this, in Rome, take the day trip but do your own thing once in Rome, buy a map and walk to all the sites my friend & I walked along the river and then made our way past the green where they use to race (named slips me!) then onto all the main sites, you'll get to see most of them, I did this a few years ago and it was one of the most interesting places I'd seen before I did Egpyt! Naples of course do the trip to Pompei if that's your cup of tea, or just walk around, there is quite a lot of graffiti in this city but interesting. Alexandria - I think that's where I did the trip to the war cemetery El Alamain, I found this moving but it may not be your cup of tea, I'm interested in seeing history and it was nice to be able to show some respect to all those young people who lost their life! not that I'm that old!

Have a super time.

Hello first time on this forum and I was wondering if I get a few questions answered please.

I have never cruised with Thompson so am not sure what to expect. I am looking to book the Ancient Voyage repositioning cruise this April Cyprus, sea, Port Said, Alexandria, sea, Heraklion, sea Valletta, Messina, Naples, Rome, sea, Barcelona, Palma.

Questions::confused:

1.Has anyone done this one before? is it any good? seems to be quite a few days at sea?

2. I have cruised with Island Cruises (escape) twice before, these did what they said on the tin for the price, but I would like a better experience and fancy a change. So how do Thompson campare to Island? better? the same?

3. Is the Spirit a good ship, as I have read some appalling reviews on other sights ie service, noise, vibration.

Thanks in advance, any comments welcome as I need to decide soon.

Hi there Snowman...we were on Celebration (sister of Spirit) in October and we did notice vibration at her rear end so it may be a common problem. Our cabin was forward of midships and we heard nothing there so the tip is to go as far forward as possible!.

We did the relocation from Palma to Sharm el Sheikh and went to some of the same ports that you will be doing and they were excellent and quite varied. We did Pompeii and the War Graves at El Alamein, Valetta we got a local bus into Valetta which was very easy, Heraklion we walked into town which was also very easy....it depends what you like to do.

we have been on Spirit a couple of years ago and also Emerald and the food and entertainment was excellent on all three ships, cabins clean and comfortable. Exceptional value for money and tips included ..can't go wrong in my opinion!!!

Archived